• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JCB003

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2007
    Not sure if it's C&R but it's fairly old. I've had this pistol for awhile, but just got around to taking some pics of it. It was found in my great aunt's bottom dresser drawer. Probably was her husbands at one time. He was in the Navy, and died right after WWII. After she passed last year at 96, my Mom found it cleaning out her stuff. It was loaded! It has not been fired in over 60 years..still had the ammo - full box of 50 (once I put back the loaded rounds)It's possible it has never been fired...bore looks new and almost no wear at all except for some handling marks. The oil had turned to a wax like substance, so I cleaned it and relubed.

There were also some old Hoppes cleaning patches and a bottle of #9 all still in original packaging.

The pistol is a Webley Mk IV in .38 S&W. Pretty cool revolver, I've been looking into the history of the gun. Markings on it say Webley & Scott LTD Mark IV 38 War Finish and a bunch of British proof marks.

Webley-1.jpg

Webley-3.jpg

Also found (loaded) was a Spanish copy of a S&W .32 Long revolver. This was frozen closed, so I had some help unloading it from the guys at Continental. It's not in that good of condition.

DSC01536-1.jpg

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    Isn't a Webley the gun that was used to assasinate President Garfield?
    Except I think it was a .44 caliber or such.

MH

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    If it's over 50 years old and in its original configuration it is automatically C&R. You might want to check the forums over on gunboards.com if you want more info on the gun, there are some military revolver collectors over there who I'm certain could tell you a lot about it.

JCB003

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2007
    If it's over 50 years old and in its original configuration it is automatically C&R. You might want to check the forums over on gunboards.com if you want more info on the gun, there are some military revolver collectors over there who I'm certain could tell you a lot about it.

Thanks - I just took a look at that site...I don't remember registering but I was already registered there. There was a bunch of info posted. It appears this Webley was made in the 1940-1946 range - which fits what I thought. The paint is original finish - I first thought it might have been painted later.

JCB003

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2007
    I was wondering if it was safe to shoot...it seems fine but for some reason I'm worried.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    If your at Continental Saturday morning I'll bring it with me. I wish I had some ammo for it, I don't want to shoot the old box.

.38 S&W is a bitch to find too. About four years ago I couldn't find any online even, but since then I think someone started making it again. Won't be cheap though, so save your cases for reloading.

c&rdaze

Oct 2, 2007
    Southern MD
    .38 S&W ammo

I've been looking for a Webley for some time, great find. As for ammo, it is hard to find. I have a S&W Victory in .38 S&W that was re-bored to .38 spl before being imported into the USA. I've been on the look-out for ammo.
    Bottom line: MidwayUSA's July flyer has Magtech .38 S&W on sale for $18.49 per 50, 146gr lead round nose. If you have C&R on file with them, you can get this price. The regular price is $20.49. Product #195-948. The ammo should be fine for use in your pistol.:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom