• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    Thats a great tip on takeing a picture.
    Recently was issued a Blackberry phone so snaping a pic would be no problem.
    Just something I never thought of doing at the time.
    duh on my part.

So far only have beware of dogs signs posted. This after a "minor" mishap in the past with one of my dogs taste testing a supposed legit salesman after getting to close to my wife while in the back yard. Another story for another day.

I will get and post a no soliciting sign also.
    Thinkng of getting a home security sign even if not haveing an alarm system. Need to research this if avalible.

Good points made here. Main purpose of my post was to alert everyone you never know when these type of oppurtunist will show up.

I'll keep everyone updated if an arrest is made and a connection to the door knockers to the break in had anything in common.

Sorry meant 20's something male. Not 20" male:)

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Anyone in the Eldersburg area have a suspicious black guy soliciting for something door to door? I'm not sure what he claimed to be selling, because I didn't let him get that far. He got very rude when I ran him off (to be fair, I was rude first). Got my camera and went after him, hoping to get some video of him at my neighbors, but he was nowhere to be seen. I looked up and down the street, but he had vanished.

Of course I immediately circumperambulated my house. I even walked all around it. This was about dinner time a few days ago.

I'm back to CCing in the house again (pocket carry LCP so as not to alarm the missus).

In related news, my Brother in Law was over at his parents house near the Marley Station area (AA County) recently, when a suspicious guy came to the door at night. This guy claimed to have run out of gas, and wanted money. So my BiL says, " Where's your car?"

"Oh, it's around the corner."

"I'll tell you what, I've got a gas can. Show me where your car is, and I can give you a gallon or two."

"Uh, well, actually it's a couple blocks away."

"That's ok, I'll get the gas can and give you a ride back to your car."

"Uh, well, never mind..."

So my BiL lays into the guy, "You POS! You just want money for drugs! If I ever catch you around here again, I will kick your ass!" And the skinny little druggie took off running. (BiL is a stocky dude, not someone a punk will want to mess with.

Dead Eye

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 21, 2010
    At Wal-Mart, buying more ammo.
    Anyone in the Eldersburg area have a suspicious black guy soliciting for something door to door? I'm not sure what he claimed to be selling, because I didn't let him get that far. He got very rude when I ran him off (to be fair, I was rude first). Got my camera and went after him, hoping to get some video of him at my neighbors, but he was nowhere to be seen. I looked up and down the street, but he had vanished.

Of course I immediately circumperambulated my house. I even walked all around it. This was about dinner time a few days ago.

I'm back to CCing in the house again (pocket carry LCP so as not to alarm the missus).

In related news, my Brother in Law was over at his parents house near the Marley Station area (AA County) recently, when a suspicious guy came to the door at night. This guy claimed to have run out of gas, and wanted money. So my BiL says, " Where's your car?"

"Oh, it's around the corner."

"I'll tell you what, I've got a gas can. Show me where your car is, and I can give you a gallon or two."

"Uh, well, actually it's a couple blocks away."

"That's ok, I'll get the gas can and give you a ride back to your car."

"Uh, well, never mind..."

So my BiL lays into the guy, "You POS! You just want money for drugs! If I ever catch you around here again, I will kick your ass!" And the skinny little druggie took off running. (BiL is a stocky dude, not someone a punk will want to mess with.

I'd be worried about the first guy more. The "door to door" types are trying to size you up, and get a peek inside your house to see what kind of goods you have. They don't have to see it all, just enough to know whether or not you've got potential items of interest (quality goods).

The second guy was just a pan handling crackhead.

Paul Kersey

Apr 20, 2011
    Westminster
    @ Nerd where have you heard or seen the incidents in Parkville? Rather curious have had a few door knocking attempts by various folks as of late. I am near the VFW on Harford.

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    Paul this type of behavior is not area specific. It can happen anywhere.
    I for one untill a few years ago never even considered it could happen in my quiet close knit neighborhood. But times as they are can make some more bolden and try to take advantage of others. Hopefully you wil already be aware of this type of activity in your area rather then be the "first" to know.:)

Mr H

Banana'd
    Last week I had the first of what is usually a half dozen guys that are paving driveways in the area and want to cut me a deal as they have ordered too much asphalt. Most of these guys are legit and have decals all over their trucks and the rocker panels are stained from all the tar. This guy was in a small economy rental car that was nice and clean. After he gave me his speech, I hold up my cellphone and take his photo before saying 'No thanks'. He gives me a look that is part disappointment and part shock.

I usually keep a camera by the front door and greet people with a blinding flash if they arrive unannounced. That way, if anything happens all I have to do is give the memory card to the police.

http://www.aacounty.org/Police/PressReleases/index.cfm

One of today's notices covers this, albeit in So. AA

Mr H

Banana'd
    I have a "No Soliciting" sign on my front door, and a few weeks ago I had some guy going door to door talking about the usual home improvements (windows, siding, fences, etc). I asked him if he saw the sign, and he said, "yes, but I'm not soliciting, I'm just setting up appointments." :sad20:

"Oh, that's different. Come on in and tell me what someone else in your company will be trying to sell me when I tell them to "get off my lawn"."

Idiots...

LOL!!! (in a sympathetic way)

I get those all the time.

But I only... I'm not selling... I just want to...

What? Get on my nerves? You win. Now GTF away.

I want so badly to put a second sign up...

"If you're not family, you're not welcomed."

OK... maybe just "If you weren't invited..."

faze

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2010
    Baltimore County, MD
    Wow, OP good story. Had a guy casing my neighborhood recently pretending to sell subsidiary BGE power/gas service. Had no company name, no ID, and he was coming around at like 8:30PM. Came 3 nights in a row, but didn't go door to door.

Tired of this freaking state and its damn crime.

StraightArrow88

May 22, 2011
    Frederick, MD
    I used to live in Brunswick and one time we'd find our vehicle doors slighty open. Like when you try and close the door but don't get it all the way. One time a 30 pack was stolen out of my mother's truck as well. Then we started locking our doors. Now we live in Adamstown and it's not as bad.

The3clipser

Mister Tea
    Nov 29, 2009
    breaking into cars is such a punk ass crime... like keying a man's car... just something you just dont do

Gonna disagree with the bolded part. If someone obviously dents/scratches my car, while I am inside of it, with not so much as an apology, their car deserves the keying.

To stay OT,
    We moved into a new neighborhood recently. There are all kinds of people driving up and down the roads looking at houses. It's a nice area, on a dead end road. People are, I think, usually just looking at the properties and liking the view of the water. However, it's not always good. There have been people who go around trying car door handles and rummaging through the ones that are left open. Goes to show, it's not always the bad neighborhoods.

Wankel

Feb 18, 2008
    Carroll County
    My two German Sheps and a terrier mix usually put on a good show of choppers at the front door.

Its the terrier they'd REALLY have to worry about though :)

Shooter410

southpaw
    Apr 16, 2011
    ForWonOh
    Wow man, glad to hear that you are ok. You handled that well IMO.

A couple months ago I had two black males in their mid 20's walk through the side of my yard scoping out my 4 wheeler. There are not many African Americans that live in my community, and I personally know the three that do because I went to school with all of them

They lifted up the tarp covering it real slowly to not make any noise but I was already on them. I had already called the cops, had my FNX in the back of my waistband and shotgun in hand w/ 3 slugs in the tube.

I never let my presence known as I was the only one home (mom even had the dog at work with her). My car was in the garage with both doors closed and all doors locked on the house and garage as well. They did not approach the house at all, just the wheeler.

They kind of scoffed at my POS wheeler and kept walking. Cops got there about 5 minutes after they left my property. The circled the neighborhood for about 20 minutes but did not see anyone matching the description. I SO wish those fools would have gotten caught...FVCK THEIVES!!!!

survivorRob

Apr 1, 2009
    My brother is in Parkville and I told him about this thread. He said that there is a white male, mid 20's, tall, with tattoo's, walking around trying to sell steaks or something. Not sure if this is related. He said he gets people all the time knocking trying to do home improvements. I am sure a lot of them are scoping things out.

Cannon

Dec 10, 2009
    Baltimore
    @ Nerd where have you heard or seen the incidents in Parkville? Rather curious have had a few door knocking attempts by various folks as of late. I am near the VFW on Harford.

FWIW I live off of Harford near northern pkwy, my house was broken into two weeks ago during the day, my poor old attack beagle wasn't able to hold down the castle. Thankfully nothing* was taken, I'm not into electronics, one of my neighbors got hit, all they took was electronics. Another neighbor hit, all electronics The cops said that people are seeing suspicious people but not calling the police. By suspicious people I mean sketchy people going door to door.

Be safe.

*I bet if my guns weren't at the bottom of the bay they would have been taken.:sad20:

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    You think a sign that says :
    "I will shoot to protect my family
    The dogs will eat the body "
    Is too much?

Couldn't post that. My dogs wouldn't eat the bodies as they have better tastes than that. Now, a Blue Buffalo Dog Food Salesman with samples is a different story.
    Actually they won't eat anything unless I give it to them or tell them it's OK.

I haven't had a single door to door since I posted the "Beware of Dog" sign on my gates along with the "This property protected by the German Shepherd Dog Security Company" sign.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom