Baltimore Antique Arms Show - Who's going?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Turned on WCBM this morning while whipping up breakfast for the pups and heard an ad for the antique arms show this weekend. I love going to this show every year, if just to look at all the unobtanium. Usually go on Sunday when the crowd's thinner as Saturday morning can be a zoo (hate the jackasses who run down the crowded aisles). Rarely buy anything (last year it was a rare holster for a Webley .38acp pistol) but you never know what you'll run across.
    Who else is going?

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    I'll be there as early as I can be on Saturday.
    I dream about this show all year long and I always end up spending way too much.
    Also on the same day not far away at the Pikesville National Guard armory is another smaller show, for me it's been worth going to both of them.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    How old do guns have to be in order to be considered "antique" and allowed at this show?

Handguns must be pre-1898 and rifles are usually WWII and older.
    Unfortunately you probably won't see many 1911's or other semiautomatic handguns(other than ones on display) but you will see some parts and maybe a few magazines for them.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I wouldn't mind the people running down the aisles as much as the sellers have conversations in them the last time I went.

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    awesome show for looking around and fondling interesting guns.

terrible show if you're looking to buy something and dont have a couple grand in the pocket.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I'm planning on going, mainly because I'm a fan of older guns - old guns made of real steel and wood, with lots of beautiful gun stocks.

I'll probably go to see if there might be some interest for my 1886 Winchester I'm thinking about selling, but I won't let it go unless the price is right, and in this market, that's probably not going to happen.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Yeah, if you're looking for the $129 Mosin Nagant you should stay home. For antiques and even WWII US weapons, some vendors are over priced, some are the going rate.

If you need parts or wood for a antique this is probably your best shot to do it in person.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I used to do an "I-83 Circuit" thing and drive up to the Harrisburg show first and then hit Timonium on the way home. I've passed on Harrisburg the last 2-3 yrs as the cost of parking went up ($8!) and the quality of the show went down. Throw in $3.65/gal gas and even with my SAABaru getting 28mpg the cost of gas roundtrip is something like $24. Being out-of-pocket to the tune of $32 just to walk thru the front door is a non-starter for me.

This show is great for reference material as Rutger Books has just about anything in print available at the show. Stuart Mowbray is also always there with his books and mags.
    It's also good for finding parts. I've ordered stuff from S&S and told them "Don't ship it, bring it with you to the B'more Antique show and I'll pick it up in person".
    I agree that firearm prices are, for the most part, on the high side if only because much of what's there is for advanced collectors. I go with the attitude that if I stumble upon opportunity then I want to be able to take advantage of it. If I find no opportunity then so be it, better luck another day.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    I've never been, but hear it's something to go to at least once. You won't find any deals, as everyone is a collector and know what they have. More than likely, they are charging higher than market-just to see if anyone REALLY wants it ;)
    These are the stories that have been related to me anyway.

I'm in Cali and won't make the show, but I may be able to work Tulsa on April 2 into my schedule. At least I hope so...lots of Gunboard friends in that area to visit.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    It's true, you'll never find the deals where the seller's clueless to what he has (recently a GB member got a Lebel M27 at a show for $200, about 1/10th what it's really worth). But if you want something and are willing to pay market price for a correct example then this is your show.
    No worries, I'll probably write up something good, bad or otherwise so you'll feel like you were there!

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Most of the time the seller will negotiate and you can buy stuff for a lower price.

About the Pikesville show, according to my flyer it's on friday and saturday only from 9-5.

honda53s

Ultimate Member
    May 4, 2009
    Baltimore County
    I am looking to buy a thompson sub machine gun for the original purchase price of $125 (shipped to my ffl). If any of you guys know of or have one please let me know.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    I am looking to buy a thompson sub machine gun for the original purchase price of $125 (shipped to my ffl). If any of you guys know of or have one please let me know.

Add a couple 0's to that price and you might be half way there.:sad20:
    But you can find semi auto versions for $1,250 or less.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    I'll be there. Cash in hand. It's expensive, but a whole lot better than the usual run of gun shows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom