• ...and so much more!
  • Intarsiac

Jun 17, 2008
    Southern Maryland
    Hi, all,

I've been looking at this:

http://www.thevirginiastockade.com/images/EODBrochure.pdf

Might catch the Signess....

Couple of questions about this configuration and my google-fu is failing me:
    Being an SAO means no decocker, correct? - so decocking would involve dry firing or pulling the trigger and "thumbing the hammer down"?
    With the beaver tail, I assume that cocking the hammer one-handed would be next to impossible?

Anyone have experience with the P220 in this configuration and have likes/dislikes?

Thanks!

MauiWowie

I have the SIGness...
    Nov 23, 2008
    Harford Co.
    SAO = Single Action Only so yes no decocker
    Decocking isn't dry fire the firing pin doesn't hit the round in the chamber
    Why would you cock the hammer in a semi auto?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    The trigger can be refined further in a SAO SIG, in a DA/SA Model, the refinements are not as dramatic since you have to have tome play to make bothe the DA and SA work at the same time.

Intarsiac

Jun 17, 2008
    Southern Maryland

Just trying to think my way through SAO operation. I guess if the hammer were down on a round in the chamber, you could cock the hammer manually instead of racking the slide and ejecting the round? Could this configuration be carried cocked and locked?

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    SAO = Single Action Only so yes no decocker
    Decocking isn't dry fire the firing pin doesn't hit the round in the chamber

With a single action gun like this, along with the 1911 family and the Browning High Power, you can carry the gun in three different "conditions".

Condition 1 is also called "cocked and locked". Round in the chamber, hammer cocked, safety on.

Condition 2 is chamber loaded, hammer down, safety off.

Condition 3 is chamber empty, mag loaded, hammer down.

Some people think condition 1 is dangerous, but they think pulling the trigger on a loaded gun in the house, to lower the hammer is safe. To me, condition 2 is only safe if the gun is a SA/DA design and has a decocker, like the original P226 or a S&W 39/59, though the S&W's also had a safety.

Intarsiac

Jun 17, 2008
    Southern Maryland
    Thanks for the input/explanations. My experience is with DA/SA and I'm trying to wrap my head around SAO operation. I was surprised to see that the SIG P220 I linked to was an SAO model.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Thanks for the explanation mike...
    All my Sigs are SA/DA

You still need to get a 1911. If you do, forget the SIGs.

Intarsiac, I think these SAO SIGs can be carried cocked and locked. Along with the P226 X-Five Tactical version.

Best suggestion is to find a shooter here who has a 1911 or BHP, (Browning High Power), or another gun that can be carried cocked and locked and visit a range with them. Spend some time learning the system. My first semi auto was a 1911. To me they are second nature.

Intarsiac

Jun 17, 2008
    Southern Maryland
    You still need to get a 1911. If you do, forget the SIGs.

Intarsiac, I think these SAO SIGs can be carried cocked and locked. Along with the P226 X-Five Tactical version.

Best suggestion is to find a shooter here who has a 1911 or BHP, (Browning High Power), or another gun that can be carried cocked and locked and visit a range with them. Spend some time learning the system. My first semi auto was a 1911. To me they are second nature.

I may end up getting a 1911 before risking the SIGness. This P220 edition just happened to divert my attention....

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Got one and love it, best features of Sig's P-series combined with the best features of a 1911, and better than either IMO. There is not a 1911 in the price range that can touch it for simplicity, light weight, ergonomics, accuracy, and reliability, yet it retains the 1911s control layout and trigger mode. It is designed to be carried like a 1911, cocked and locked is the best mode of carry, and as with a 1911, there is no reason to lower the hammer on a round, not to mention it is unsafe to do so. Mine came as a p220R-22, and I got the 45 top end for it. It worked out to be priced the same as the basic pistol with night sights, but I got a free 22 conversion kit out of the deal. It has never jammed, ran great out of the box, and the nice short trigger pull is about perfect for defense or combat shooting at about 5# with a little takeup required to deactivate the internal safeties, but no overtravel ad a crisp break. It can easily be made to have a lighter trigger, or one that has less takeup, but the out of the box trigger is excellent. It is comparable to a standard box-stock 1911 trigger, although with work, or on a custom model, the 1911 trigger can have a much shorter pull and reset.

I own a few 1911s too, and have to say the Sig is the better gun if you are just punching paper at the range, and may carry it for defense, less maintenence, more reliable design, lighter, more ergonomic, and easier to shoot well, of course some high end Nighthawk, and Ed Brown 1911s come reliable and more than make up the difference compared to the better Sig design, but they are expensive, and still need more frequent and more involved maintenence that the Sig needs to keep running.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom