• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JCB003

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2007
    I have a question...how does a NFA transfer like this work? Lets say I have a NFA registered receiver on a form 1 and engraved with my info that I send to out of state FFL/SOT to build into an SBR. Can they ship directly back to me - or does it have to go through a MD FFL/SOT? I think they can ship directly back to me, but I'm not 100% sure.

Let's say I have a regular shotgun that I send to out of state FFL/SOT to build into and SBS and they register it and engrave it with their info. They would then have to ship/transfer to local MD FFL/SOT on a form 3 who then transfers to me on a form 4?

Only certain FFL's (with SOT) can receive NFA items? Anyone know if their are additional charges over the standard transfer fee (other than the $200 tax)? So if Continental Arms charges $55 transfer fee plus $10 MSP ($65) plus the $200 or do they have a surcharge on transfered NFA stuff like $100 transfer fee and the $200 tax?

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    If you already have the Form 1 approved, you can send it out to a SOT for repair, and have it shipped directly back to you. ATF would like it to be shipped out on a Form 5, but it's not required.

To do the shotgun it would be easier for you to register the receiver and have your info engraved on the receiver. Once you have it registered to you you can send it out to a builder, as long as they are a Class II manufacturer or SOT. That way you avoid any extra charges by a SOT to transfer it to you on a Form 4

NFA transfers are more expensive.

JCB003

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2007
    To do the shotgun it would be easier for you to register the receiver and have your info engraved on the receiver. Once you have it registered to you you can send it out to a builder, as long as they are a Class II manufacturer or SOT. That way you avoid any extra charges by a SOT to transfer it to you on a Form 4

NFA transfers are more expensive.

OK. The reason I ask is I have a Saiga 12 that I am currently on a waiting list for Tromix to convert to "evil looking". I am thinking about having SBS'd also. Tromix charges an additional fee if you have them engrave your info as opposed to theirs (and changing the engraving machine back) So depending on the costs to transfer to MD FFL/SOT it may be better to have them "manufacture" it instead of me. I could have someone else engrave it, but then I have to ship the whole gun out to someone and pay the engraving and return shipping. So it may be a wash - price wise.

And if I ever decided to sell it it would be better to have Tromix's name on it than mine.

The thing I'm trying to decide is what length?...He does a lot of 8" a few 10" and some 12" barrels. 8" seems real short for a 12ga.

If you can PM me the transfer price for SBS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom