• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RnRFreak

Forum Cartoon Character
    Mar 3, 2007
    Overlea
    I realize that but its not the same receiver....it shares a EXTERNAL RESEMBLANCE and uses a similar action BUT it is fundamentally different......not to mention the fact that if you look up any definition for "AK-47" it refers to a RIFLE not a shotgun.
    The saiga, in all calibers, is a Kalishnakov actioned weapon. Hence, AK-47 in all its forms. Thats how I understand it, and I did the regulated paperwork for mine as well.

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    The saiga, in all calibers, is a Kalishnakov actioned weapon. Hence, AK-47 in all its forms. Thats how I understand it, and I did the regulated paperwork for mine as well.

I highly doubt that the Armory in Annapolis would be selling them as un-regulated if there were any chance it was in fact regulated....they sell more of this stuff than any other shop I am aware on in Md and I know they call MSP to get verification when necessary.

Additionally please feel free to read up on the differences.

Although the receiver looks very much the same, it has been considerably modified. There are less rivets on the sides - the receiver looks more civilian. When designers embarked upon the “Saiga-12” project, they discovered that the overal dimensions of receiver had to be enlarged since the dimensions of both the barrel block and the bolt were substantially larger than in all previous models. Gennadiy Nikonov, Chief project engineer, says, his team spent many an hour looking for a way how to retain original sizes of receiver. Finally, after studying numerous variants, they found a very original solution - the upper location of internal bolt carrier’s guiding rail was changed. In the “Saiga-12” shotguns the rail is located at the receiver? s bottom. The obtained free space now is enough to accomodate a very substantial chunk of the barrel extension, plus a huge bolt. As for the bolt carrier and trigger mechanism, there are several important alterations too. First, a portion of the right side of the rod which connects bolt carrier with piston is milled out at an angle to ensure trouble-free operation of the mechanism of exraction of a larger shell. To match the size of shells, the ejection opening in the right side of the top cover above receiver is also made larger. A stamped steel-sheet sliding shutter has been provided on the guiding rod of a return spring to prevent excessive penetration of dust and other unwanted foreign particles into receiver. Due to application of heavy-duty types of cartridges and for the purpose of enhancing proper locking of the top (bolt) cover to the receiver, the protruding base lug of the return mechanism, which also functions as a retainer of the top cover, has been provided with an additional knob. Thus, to remove the top cover proceed as follows: depress the knob and, holding it in such a position, push the extending locking lug inside the cover - the cover easily comes out from its recess. In contrast to the original AK assault rifle, “Saiga-12” has a gas relulator which could be placed in either position “1” or position ”2” depending on the type of ammunition - standard 70 mm, 73 mm or 76 mm Magnum shells. The weapon can be effectivly operated with any of these types of cartridges. The additional locking knob and the gas regulator have been made due to the following considerations. It has become a standard in the Russian small arms design school, that the speed of recoil of bolt carrier should be 4 m/sec. Such speed enables stabilty of reloading without the need for a gas regulator. In the “Saiga-12” shotgun due to usage of heavy-duty ammunition, the speed of recoil of the bolt carrier is substantially greater. When firing Magnum loads, the gun can generate the speed upto 8 and even 10 (!) m/sec. Under such conditions, as the designers calaculated, the durability of the gun may be decreased. With the gas regulator, the recoil speed is reduced to a safe level. Further research on the gas engine of the “Saiga-12” resulted in creating a system which functions okey with 70, 73 and 76 mm long shells without changing the position of gas regulator. So in reality the regulator is required when it comes to utilization of high velocity loads. More alterations were made in the the trigger mechanism of the ”Saiga-12” by eliminating an auto-sear. Hence, the selector functions only in two modes. The upper position marked “S” is safety and the lower position marked “F” is fire.

JCB003

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2007
    You can get the AGP 10 round mags for $42 from Mississippi Auto Arms if you order them through the link on the Tromix website. Still pricey but better than the $60 you see most places and at gunshows.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    When Saigas first came out years ago MSP was saying they were not considered an AK-47 clone because the parts are not interchangeable. I don't know if that has changed. I personally don't think they are but I can't blame a shop for going through the extra trouble and being careful.

G O B

Ultimate Member
    Nov 17, 2007
    Cen TX
    I got my Saiga -.308 and the wife's Saiga-.410 through Realco, and they did the regulated route. Also MD arms is coming out with USA 20 rd drums for the S-12. Atlantic is a dealer for AGP 10 rd USA mags.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    I got my Saiga -.308 and the wife's Saiga-.410 through Realco, and they did the regulated route. Also MD arms is coming out with USA 20 rd drums for the S-12. Atlantic is a dealer for AGP 10 rd USA mags.

The 20 rounders are delayed a bit. I still ordered one...now I have to get an S-12! Atlantic is great to deal with as well. They're Md based - internet only. They have sold out of S-12's until January. Jeep checked for me at Continental and White Marsh- no deal. I'll just wait....

JCB003

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2007
    It will be interesting to see how the MD Arms drum turns out. I am just waiting to see if there are any issues like reported with the Wraithmaker drums.

Just Guns on Harford Rd stocks Saiga, not sure if they have any S12's left but when I picked mine up they had a few others still on the rack.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    It will be interesting to see how the MD Arms drum turns out. I am just waiting to see if there are any issues like reported with the Wraithmaker drums.

Just Guns on Harford Rd stocks Saiga, not sure if they have any S12's left but when I picked mine up they had a few others still on the rack.

Harford Rd- isn't that like just this side of Cleveland?....:) May as well be for me. It's bad enough I have to use a 1/2 tank of gas every time I go see my buddy Jeep at Continental. I appreciate the heads up on Just Guns- I'll keep that in mind when I head back up to Continental.

G O B

Ultimate Member
    Nov 17, 2007
    Cen TX
    Love the Saigas. I did the 922r thing and converted the S-.410 for the wife. The Yugo underfolder makes it perfect. I like my S-12 unconverted. Check the forum ay saiga-12 for every thing you need to know about Saigas and what to do with them, and where to get parts/mags. Many vendors give discounts to forum members.

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA

You can get them cheaper online I'm sure... Just Guns will NEVER get ANY of my business

Lunchbox

Nov 8, 2007
    AA Co.
    I love the Saiga 12 I've wanted one since the first time I saw it... but I was under the impression that a shotgun that accepted detachable mags was illegal in MD... Someone told me that and considering all the other stupid sh*t they regulate here I figured it was true.

is it? is it not?

G O B

Ultimate Member
    Nov 17, 2007
    Cen TX
    Saiga's are legal in MD. If we all run away scaired because "someone" says something is illegal-we are not only in trouble we are lost.

P.S. Gov. O"Mangy has made it illegal to have to sleep with you'r wife without obtaining a fornication permit. (He's gotta balance the budget SOMEHOW!)

R2.0

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2008
    I love the Saiga 12 I've wanted one since the first time I saw it... but I was under the impression that a shotgun that accepted detachable mags was illegal in MD... Someone told me that and considering all the other stupid sh*t they regulate here I figured it was true.

is it? is it not?

If they are then there are a shitload of Marlin Goose Gun owners who would be surprised.

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    I was under the impression it didn't apply to the shotgun models of the Saiga, only the rifles. The actions of the shotguns are totally different.

I could be wrong.

Matt

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    .... The actions of the shotguns are totally different.

I could be wrong.

Matt
    I just googled this because you made me wonder about that:
    Finally, after studying numerous variants, they found a very original solution - the upper location of internal bolt carrier’s guiding rail was changed. In the “Saiga-12” shotguns the rail is located at the receiver? s bottom. The obtained free space now is enough to accomodate a very substantial chunk of the barrel extension, plus a huge bolt. As for the bolt carrier and trigger mechanism, there are several important alterations too. First, a portion of the right side of the rod which connects bolt carrier with piston is milled out at an angle to ensure trouble-free operation of the mechanism of exraction of a larger shell. To match the size of shells, the ejection opening in the right side of the top cover above receiver is also made larger. A stamped steel-sheet sliding shutter has been provided on the guiding rod of a return spring to prevent excessive penetration of dust and other unwanted foreign particles into receiver.
    http://club.guns.ru/eng/saiga12.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom