• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Now that the MGA session is over, it's time to start planning how to prevent what happened with HB1302 in the House Judiciary Committee from happening again.

Delegate Dumais' behavior was unconscionable, and she clearly shouldn't be trusted with the power that comes with being committee Vice Chair. There are currently 8 other candidates registered to run in the D primary for District 15 in MoCo.

Here is my question for all you MDSers in MoCo:
    Which District 15 D candidate has the best chance of beating DEL Dumais in the primary? The best-positioned candidate gets a campaign donation of a signification portion of the dollar value of my C&R collection. I don't care if the candidate is even further left; the goal is to separate a known bad actor from the legal authority that comes with the Vice Chairmanship.

Hopefully others here will join me in this. For challengers to incumbents entrenched in Maryland's version of Tammany Hall, every dollar makes a difference. And don't forget you can still vote R in the General Election.

Shazam

Dec 20, 2012
    I had dinner with a gentleman who who lobbies our state legislature on behalf of a professional organization that I belong to. He shared some of his thoughts on effectively influencing people in Annapolis. One of his strategies was to host neighborhood "fund raiser" parties for his chosen candidates. It seemed to be an effective way of both getting people into office and buying influence once they get elected. It sounded like he wasn't spending a lot of money relative to the results he got.

I just thought it would be worth sharing this with someone motivated to play politics like you.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    One of his strategies was to host neighborhood "fund raiser" parties for his chosen candidates. It seemed to be an effective way of both getting people into office and buying influence once they get elected.

I just thought it would be worth sharing this with someone motivated to play politics like you.

I view it more about protecting investments than purely playing politics. I'm more pragmatic than ideological. I know I'll never get exactly the government I want, and I'd probably decide I didn't want it after all if I ever got it, so I set a line of "acceptable" and work towards it.

Unfortunately time is in short supply right now, so I'm forced to use dollars rather than hours to get the desired end result. Time probably would be more effective (R&R and Esq. are shining examples), but I do what I can for now.

So, back to the original question, given the demographics of D15, who is the most likely candidate to beat Dumais in the primary?

Mr H

Banana'd
    I had dinner with a gentleman who who lobbies our state legislature on behalf of a professional organization that I belong to. He shared some of his thoughts on effectively influencing people in Annapolis. One of his strategies was to host neighborhood "fund raiser" parties for his chosen candidates. It seemed to be an effective way of both getting people into office and buying influence once they get elected. It sounded like he wasn't spending a lot of money relative to the results he got.

I was just speaking with a candidate about this very thing yesterday.

The concept of holding the small events is an effective way of getting people involved with their friends and neighbors, and spreading the word at ground level.

Even simple dinner parties or 'wine and cheese' meet-and-greets are a way to get a candidate in front of potential voters... then they tell 2 friends...

As for DiNO? It definitely has some value, depending on the district.

Where I am, in 32, there are only 3 Rs running for the House, so it's guaranteed they will all get through to the general. But, at least one of them hasn't been much of a team player so far, so comments from 'Registered Democrats' could put a little precision pressure to play nice (more to follow as I get additional information).

The other goal here, IMO, is to beat the Dem incumbents. Two are running in the 7-person field for the House, and both of them were beaten pretty solidly in their home precincts last cycle. They are vulnerable. One is also venerable, and my personal opinion is that he will retire immediately, should he be elected.

The third Dem incumbent is running for Senate against 2 Republicans, and she is not well liked, becoming somewhat paranoid (anecdotes I've heard), and was also beaten in her home precinct last time. Nothing we could do to stop her in the primary, but she really hates conservative Democrats and 2A supporters, so some calls and letters couldn't hurt ;)

Bottom line... even the incumbents' neighbors don't like them, so DiNO in 32 should be viable, to get the incumbents ousted in the primary... provided folks get active for the non-viable Ds, counter the incumbents where possible, and be ready to go full-bore for the good Rs in the General.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    I'm in D33, so everyone who represents me is an R, although my Senator and one of the Reps seemed to vote more with the Ds than Rs this year.

None of them chairs an important commitee. None are on either the HJC or SJPC, so I need to figure out what I can reasonably do, given time constraints, to change out 1A, 2A & 4A-hostile members of those committees whose effect is statewide.

I have one other big constraint on getting socially politically active: I'm married to someone who has become progressively more liberal (or is it liberally more progressive?) over the past decade, and if she wasn't married to me would probably have joined a Moms Demand <whatever> group by now. So I need to tread carefully, or I'll be facing Dumais as opposing counsel in a divorce proceeding. Funding opposing candidates, especially Ds, wouldn't be a problem. Hosting a 2A-friendly dinner party at home, even if I did all the cooking, is a nonstarter.

Mr H

Banana'd
    I'm in D33, so everyone who represents me is an R, although my Senator and one of the Reps seemed to vote more with the Ds than Rs this year.

None of them chairs an important commitee. None are on either the HJC or SJPC, so I need to figure out what I can reasonably do, given time constraints, to change out leadership on those committees whose effect is statewide.

I have one other big constraint on getting socially politically active: I'm married to someone who has become progressively more liberal (or is it liberally more progressive?) over the past decade, and if she wasn't married to me would probably have joined a Moms Demand <whatever> group by now. So I need to tread carefully, or I'll be facing Dumais as opposing counsel in a divorce proceeding. Funding opposing candidates, especially Ds, wouldn't be a problem. Hosting a 2A-friendly dinner party at home, even if I did all the cooking, is a nonstarter.

Funding and "supporting" D candidates in the primary who are sure-to-fail in the general is tricky business, but I've done it. The other thing you can do (which I need to do better) is get involved with the county Central Committee and/or local Republican Club.

Last edited:

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Now that the MGA session is over, it's time to start planning how to prevent what happened with HB1302 in the House Judiciary Committee from happening again.

Delegate Dumais' behavior was unconscionable, and she clearly shouldn't be trusted with the power that comes with being committee Vice Chair. There are currently 8 other candidates registered to run in the D primary for District 15 in MoCo.

Which District 15 D candidate has the best chance of beating DEL Dumais in the primary? The best-positioned candidate gets a campaign donation of a signification portion of the dollar value of my C&R collection. I don't care if the candidate is even further left; the goal is to separate a known bad actor from the legal authority that comes with the Vice Chairmanship.

Hopefully others here will join me in this. For challengers to incumbents entrenched in Maryland's version of Tammany Hall, every dollar makes a difference. And don't forget you can still vote R in the General Election.

Sector 15 here..

It's a vote for three delegates. The Republican slate typically gets 40% the vote total combined. Of the six candidates year 2014, Dumais was first, one full point over Miller and 1.9 points ahead of Fraser-Hidalgo. She bested the top vote getting Republican by over 6 points. Best chance to beat her is if she decides not to run.

I see Aruna Miller is running for Congress, ugh..

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD

None of them chairs an important commitee. None are on either the HJC or SJPC, so I need to figure out what I can reasonably do, given time constraints, to change out 1A, 2A & 4A-hostile members of those committees whose effect is statewide.

I'm also in District 33. Of course none of them are committee chairs. No Republicans are in the General Assembly.

But Mike Malone IS on the House Judiciary Committee. I make a point of saying Hi when with him in committee or when he's crossing the street on Monday nights.

Sid Saab is also a pro-2A guy (a shaky term this year, but). He's introduced several positive gun bills and is a good guy.

McConkey's a waste. Sometimes he votes OK, but I think it's an accident. His wife is on the Central Committee so he's pretty much a lock. An ethically challenged guy.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    I'm also in District 33. Of course none of them are committee chairs. No Republicans are in the General Assembly.

But Mike Malone IS on the House Judiciary Committee. I make a point of saying Hi when with him in committee or when he's crossing the street on Monday nights.

Sid Saab is also a pro-2A guy (a shaky term this year, but). He's introduced several positive gun bills and is a good guy.

McConkey's a waste. Sometimes he votes OK, but I think it's an accident. His wife is on the Central Committee so he's pretty much a lock. An ethically challenged guy.

My mistake on Malone. I thought it was a different Malone on the HJC Committee Roster. Saab seems to be a pretty solid guy.

ComeGet

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2015
    My district (20) is hopeless, so the only question I have right now is which D do we want to run against Hogan?

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County

They're being this brazen only because there's a serious insurgency in the D party from the left, that is threatening the authority of the old guard like Hoyer. The sort of games Hoyer is playing are always happening to some extent, but he's feeling some real urgency this election cycle because of what's going on inside the Party.
    It's almost as if the Ds saw the pro and anti-Trump infighting in the R party, and said "We can do better! Here, hold my chablis!".

Adolph Oliver Bush

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 13, 2015

I really can't stand that woman.

Here's a site where you can study prior elections. Get involved now, get your Monday night's back next winter.....

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=219296

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    No need to be a DINO

They'll self destruct on their own ...

Attachments

• MD hates Trump.jpg
      MD hates Trump.jpg
      87.6 KB · Views: 177

Users who are viewing this thread