• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I'm running a 124 grain FMJ meant for 9mm with Universal powder. I've got some Xtreme 124 FP inbound but the weather here kept UPS from delivering them today :mad54:
    I'm not sure Universal is the best for my loads, but I'm anxious to get the Xtreme to try. What powder are you running in your 357 Sig?
    On another note while I'm typing, while I was loading the FMJ's the Lee 2nd edition was showing loads from 5.2-5.8 grains, while the Hornady's 10th edition shows 5.7-6.9 grains for their bullets. I did step above Lee's max and went to 6.2 grains but I seated out to 1.185 instead of the max COAL of 1.14 that is called for in both books. No pressure signs were found in any of the test loads, and no feeding problems after I went back to factory weight recoil spring. All these cases seemed to pretty much drop right out of the gun at my feet and it seems that the Universal might be the culprit, any ideas from you more seasoned reloaders would be appricated.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    I'd stick to slower powders

Longshot current favorite

800x works great but meters so terribly I won't use it

AA 9 good choice. Meters superbly. Some loads take up the whole case and it's a ball powder and doesn't compress. This can prevent set back. Needs to be loaded hot, otherwise you end up with unbunrt powder.

Power Pistolhonorable mention. Makes good velocity and meters well.

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    For 124/125gr, my pet loads are 9.0 of power pistol, 9.5gr 800x, 10.0 gr bluedot. Bluedot is by far my favorite but was hard to come by a while ago so most of my loads are 800x right now.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Well on a very nice day in Garrett County I got to test my X-treme 124's with some universal powder. 5 shot groups, 25 foot target distance, semi rested pistol. Groups started to open up a little at 5.8 grains, no pressure signs to be found.

My X-treme 124's were finally delivered this evening, loaded up a few over Universal. Now to keep 4570's hands off the boxes at the range.:innocent0

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      62.7 KB · Views: 404

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads