• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    My vote is for the Hipower. Based on a Browning design but completed by Dieudonne Saive. The only flaw, if you can call it that, is that the thumb safety is just a bit too small. It fits the hand perfectly and it works. Another plus is that the French rejected it prior to WW2.:innocent0

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    BHP. The secondary right arm of the free world (after the FAL)

Anything else is just a pretender to the throne.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    The Hi-Power is a damn fine firearm, even after all these years it still just FEELs right and that SA trigger is outstanding. It's classy in a way that more modern firearms will never be.

But I have to say, the SIG Legion is now probably my favorite. I never liked the 226 much, it was just too bulky in the grip. They remedied all that with the Legion. I still find the decocking lever odd but it works. The floating hammer is odd but it works. It's got an excellent DA/SA trigger and points well and has been super reliable.

The CZ-75 is a really close second and it borrows so much from the Hi-Power if you like one, you'll like the other. It's a modern Hi-Power.

I still own more Glocks than any other handgun though. I'm not sure why. I still don't love them.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I've always wondered how good the Brownings are. Do they shoot hollowpoints okay? My dad had one, but I never shot it. It's got the black case made by Browning, has a round hammer, wood grips and was made in Belgium. It's a beautiful gun. Feels great in the hand, but I don't know whether to keep it or sell it. I like it much better than any 1911 I've ever held. Given my choice, I don't know which I'd take: the High Power or a Colt Gold Cup. Any thoughts?

Take the Colt and sell me the HP. I like the round hammer models best.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    ...the first meaningful Wondernine was the S&W M59.
    At the time, alas, the Model 39 and 59 were considered disasters. The first reviews were kind at best, but in shooting circles it was far less so. It was the first time I'd ever heard the term “jamomatic" applied to any particular gun. Not only was the malfunction rate high, the gun had a reputation for discharging if dropped on the hammer.

I also recall all the discussions in gun stores about how S&W made great revolver, but that it had not been able to design and manufacture a decent centerfire semi-automatic. At the time, I was thrilled by the thought of a handgun that would fire fifteen rounds. The gun was gorgeous, too, and the thing is, S&W managed to fix the guns within months of the second generation's announcement. As far as I know, they're still dangerous to drop, but I've seen them go through magazine after magazine without jamming, so they figured out some way of making them work.

The second generation of these guns fixed the reliability issue, while the third generation addressed the ergonomics. I think S&W also managed to cut costs a bit. In fact, I don't think the company could afford to make the guns today and sell them less than a grand.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I have owned a few alloy framed pistols and shot a few others. I like the Ruger P85/89 guns and the Beretta/Taurus 92 series guns.

Both point well, have a pleasant shooting manner and are decently accurate. The Ruger P85 Mk II I had was highly reliable and shot into 3.5" all day long with blaster grade ammo. I won a lot of action and pin matches in Minor class with that pistol. Should have kept it, seller's remorse. The 92 series guns point well for me and the one I owned and others I shot were similarly reliable and accurate as the Ruger. The safety is difficult to disengage under time constraints with my hand size but for both the 92's and the P85, safety off, DA for the first shot was a dream. Especially the Ruger.

I had two Smiths, a 2nd and a 3rd gen pistol. Felt good in the hand but had enough muzzle flip to be annoying. Both were highly reliable. EAA 9mm Witness large frame...too big, safety virtually impossible to reach. Would make a great 10mm pistol. But the 22 conversion unit shot like a laser. Shot a CZ75 clone a couple times...narrow in the hand but shot well. Didn't care for it. Sigs I shot were okay, just couldn't warm up to them.

Can't speak for the Hi Power, never shot one.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Can't speak for the Hi Power, never shot one.

Try one if you ever have the opportunity.

I had been shooting 1911's for several years before a friend handed me his BHP at the range one day and said give it a try. I didn't want to put it down. It was the first handgun that really felt like it was custom-made for my shooting hand. A few years later, I tried a CZ-75 and it felt nearly the same except it was DA/SA and was a lot more accurate out of the box.

I've shot many Beretta 92's and could never warm-up to them. I always felt like they were just a double-stack clone of the Walther P38, which I liked much better even though it was only a single-stack. I also wasn't terribly impressed by their accuracy either.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    I've got a third generation, a 5904. Great gun.

Never understood why S&W dropped that series completely.

Plastic is cheaper I guess.

That is exactly why. They couldn't compete on the big PD contracts. If you look at the amount of machining involved in a 5904 or 5906 and compare it with injection molded plastic and a couple of stamped metal parts, there is no comparison.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    It's not just because it's cheaper...today's generation of gun buyers want tupperware guns. It's what they see on tv and the movies...no self-respecting terrorist fighter can be seen without a plastic gun. If steel handguns were seen more on the screen then people would be demanding them. Politicians have been trying for many years to ban "easily concealed, can't be picked up on x-ray or magnetometer handguns" so people want what the politicians want to take away. There's a number of factors involved.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Because the major LE contracts wanted : 1. Consistant Glock-like trigger pull 2. Plastic frames . And large portion of civillian purchasers likewise.

S&W did make the "900 series" ( 908, 910,915, 945, etc) for another 2 or 3 years after the demise of the 4 Digit guns . The 900's had matte finish, simplified Sig style lockup for reduced costs , but the market demands wanted plastic.

olddawg

Feb 3, 2011
    Harford County
    Another 5906 fan. Aside from the heft there really isn't anything not to like. Extremely accurate, no recoil and just beautiful. Oh, and you can crack someone over the head with it and it won't fall apart.:lol2:

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Another 5906 fan. Aside from the heft there really isn't anything not to like. Extremely accurate, no recoil and just beautiful. Oh, and you can crack someone over the head with it and it won't fall apart.:lol2:

You can also :
    - look like Don Johnson in 'Miami Vice'
    - breach a door with it and not leave scratches in the finish
    - end up with unevenly worn out shoes

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    My absolute favorite "wonder nine"; The Steyr GB.
    18 round mag (huge at the time).
    A "unique gas-delayed blowback locking system based on the Barnitzke system".
    Nice rugged finish.
    Polygonal barrel.
    Excellent sights.
    Very ergonomic.
    No safety; just a decocker.

Should have beat out the Beretta M9 (the Army did look at it in 1983). Here's a pic of mine. Glad i got 4 extra mags; If you can find them they are as mush as $250 a each now!

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/691985336

Attachments

• DSC_0029.jpg
      DSC_0029.jpg
      106.7 KB · Views: 133

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix