• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    Short time lurker, first time poster. I'm a 1st Gen American of Filipino decent, born in Bethesda Naval Hospital. How American can ya get ah... I'm a Coast Guard Brat - Father Enlisted as a Coasty to gain his US citizenship, and my Mother, also Filipino, came over as a Nursing exchange student to gain her citizenship. They met in NY on the Staten Island Ferry - a Nurse and a Sailor in the 50's, in uniform, almost like that Life Magazine cover...

I too will also argue that I don't know many anti-gun Filipino's, as most I know are either pro-gun, or just indifferent. Arguably, the Philippines is the largest manufacturer of 1911's, and IMO there's a bigger gun culture there than even here. There's no shortage of people carrying, no matter what their socio-economic status... We're big gun, and most def big knife enthusiasts IMO.

I don't do much for the Filipino stereotype, as I myself am a Fil-Am Navy Veteran(many join because of their Fathers influences), and my goto is a Filipino made ATI FX45 Thunderbolt Enhanced 1911 - w/extended controls, V10 ported Bull Barrel, buttery slide. Also have a Glock 17 that I hate(Glock Hump) but shoot pretty well. Glock's are another popular gun in the Philippines, and a Mossberg 500 (Navy habits die hard)...

I do feel I get some "looks" when I go shooting in the "nether regions," but always feel right at home shootin at my goto range - On Target - peeps of all types there... I too wish we could all just be "Americans," but I appreciate the sentiment of a fellow Asian-American reachin out, seeking commonalities... That's what forums are for, right?

Sorry for long post - just making up for my previous silence. =)

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    I just got back from Sakura Steak House in West OC, food and side show was really good, he did much more flipido's with the food than any other cook I've seen. Tho I am pedigree American with other bloodlines I'll be part Oriental for the night. Tomorrow AM out goes the steak, shrimp, rice, salad, mushrooms and everything else then I'll just be a proud American once again just a few lbs lighter. :thumbsup:

gridybrah

May 12, 2013
    not trying to start flame wars or whatnot, but i would like to point out a few things here.

1) on the topic of "hyphenated Americans".. i am proud of my heritage: i am Korean by birth, and an American by naturalization. i have my reasons not to embrace my "American" side as much, although i do love this country, despite the direction that our politicians are taking it.

2) on Asian immigrants being pro gun.. my family in general is quite anti gun, despite my father's military service. then again, every male in my family fulfilled mandatory military service, and i am the first one not to do so. i am very glad that there are Asians here who respect and appreciate their 2nd Amendment rights.

3) on younger Asians being more liberal.. i am a first generation immigrant turned citizen, and my family did not move to the US for a better opportunity. on the contrary, my parents took the leap of faith leaving behind very lucrative and respected jobs just so i would actually study. i was the youngest in my class and i did not care for books. my parents figured that an American education would suit me better so i wouldnt be beaten in school every day. if we had stayed, we would be living in the Gangnam district (yes... the same Gangnam as the horrible song) and i wouldnt have a care in the world. i am very thankful that my parents decided to leave everything good and certain behind for the sake of me and my sister.

final thoughts...

i wish we lived in a world where skin color and ethnicity did not matter, but we dont.. case in point: the former SFR Yugoslavia. Tito's "brotherhood and unity" sure worked great... this country was founded on a brilliant concept, but the realities of racial and religious strife will always be too great to overcome by the small minority that would wish otherwise.

again, not trying to stir up debate... just pointing out a few things here.

that being said, i am picking up my rifle and my ammunition is being delivered tomorrow :rockon::rockon::rockon:

SungJunKim

R.I.P.
    Dec 25, 2009
    No, just Americans and patriots.

USA%20TACTICAL%20REVERSE.jpg

63.jpg

1bstb.jpg

2nd_id_class_a_patch_poster-r8f5e9078d47549adad81139cef2524cd_wfb_8byvr_216.jpg

gridybrah

May 12, 2013
    just picked up my rifle and cleaned it up the best i could.... i could not, for the life of me, get the trigger group to pop out of the stock... i literally pushed the screwdriver into the little button hole thing as hard as i could... shit wouldnt budge... actually, i got the damn thing stuck and jammed my trigger altogether.. i managed to get the jam out, but i still cannot get the trigger group to come out... any tips?

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    just picked up my rifle and cleaned it up the best i could.... i could not, for the life of me, get the trigger group to pop out of the stock... i literally pushed the screwdriver into the little button hole thing as hard as i could... shit wouldnt budge... actually, i got the damn thing stuck and jammed my trigger altogether.. i managed to get the jam out, but i still cannot get the trigger group to come out... any tips?

use a sledge hammer?? :innocent0

what trigger group for? It will narrow down some..

pakman916

Apr 23, 2011
    MoCo, MD
    I have to disagree with people on here that don't like the hyphenating. I was born and raised here, but as proud as I am to be American, I'm proud of my heritage, what my parents went through to bring me here and to give me the life I now have. When my children were born, we were very torn on naming our kids. Whether we'd give them English legal names and unofficial Asian names. But at the last minute, it dawned on me that giving them a legal Asian name would be the last thing they can hold onto culturally.

Diversity is a good thing. I see no reason to assimilate and become one of the hive. I mean...that's what it means to be American in the first place. Freedom, not conformity.

To answer the OP, I know quite a few Asian shooters. But I can definitely see where it would seem like they are not pro-2A. Partly because most Asians I know tend to keep their views private. We're typically classified as the model minority.

gridybrah

May 12, 2013
    I have to disagree with people on here that don't like the hyphenating. I was born and raised here, but as proud as I am to be American, I'm proud of my heritage, what my parents went through to bring me here and to give me the life I now have. When my children were born, we were very torn on naming our kids. Whether we'd give them English legal names and unofficial Asian names. But at the last minute, it dawned on me that giving them a legal Asian name would be the last thing they can hold onto culturally.

Diversity is a good thing. I see no reason to assimilate and become one of the hive. I mean...that's what it means to be American in the first place. Freedom, not conformity.

To answer the OP, I know quite a few Asian shooters. But I can definitely see where it would seem like they are not pro-2A. Partly because most Asians I know tend to keep their views private. We're typically classified as the model minority.

110% agreed with your post. EXACTLY how i feel on the topic.

gridybrah

May 12, 2013
    EDIT: just disassembled the entire rifle.. when the button was stuck, i just kinda hit the damn thing and the trigger group fell out. crisis averted.

Draico

Apr 29, 2011
    Rockville, MD
    Born in S. Korea came to the US at the age of one and have lived in Maryland my whole life. Parents are both citizens. Proud of my heritage but i really consider myself an American.
    Ps living in MoCo sucks since i have to drive at least half an hour to get to a decent range. Plus side is i live 5 minutes from Engage =D. Still patiently waiting on my DC

SungJunKim

R.I.P.
    Dec 25, 2009
    Hyphenated Americans

I just had a discussion the other day with a coworker (Born in Korea) who informed me that he a hyphened American that also had "dual citizenship", and was denied a (TS/SCI) security clearance due to that (one & only) issue. While, I respect both your options, I disagree with your stance. I truly respect your wish to maintain Korean cultural identity for your children and/or future children. My co-worked asked me for my input, I agreed with adjudicators decision. As a American of Korean descent, a native born citizen of United States, I disagree with the use the hyphen because aren't we all just Americans united by the principles of citizenship? When it comes to these principles hyphens don’t matter. There are no Korean-American, Polish-American or other hyphenated issues under these principles. There simply issues of justice and equality under the law. If one group is discriminated against, isn’t it a universal issue with which we all should be concerned? Why the hyphen?

The noble experiment our Founding Fathers envisioned of multiple cultures integrating into a single American identity, one that was suppose to become the American people is beging to seperate into two classes instead dependent and self-reliant. With, the first outnumbering the second. Hyphenating Americans does more for the different ethnic groups identify more with their former homelands than America. In 1915, President Teddy Roosevelt said, “In this country we have no place for hyphenated Americans.” Multiculturalism is a curse, we perpetuate such division when we continue to allow appease those from other countries out of some fear that we lack cultural sensitivity or political correctness in public eye. If we continue to emphasize our differences we may find ourselves like the former Yugoslavia and their various ethnic groups who had never coalesced around a single national identity.We’re ignoring the true meaning of citizenship, I see it everyday. The Western (United) Roman Empire lasted 426 years and had somewhat similar problems, we are at little over 230 years.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    I just had a discussion the other day with a coworker (Born in Korea) who informed me that he a hyphened American that also had "dual citizenship", and was denied a (TS/SCI) security clearance due to that (one & only) issue. While, I respect both your options, I disagree with your stance. I truly respect your wish to maintain Korean cultural identity for your children and/or future children. My co-worked asked me for my input, I agreed with adjudicators decision. As a American of Korean descent, a native born citizen of United States, I disagree with the use the hyphen because aren't we all just Americans united by the principles of citizenship? When it comes to these principles hyphens don’t matter. There are no Korean-American, Polish-American or other hyphenated issues under these principles. There simply issues of justice and equality under the law. If one group is discriminated against, isn’t it a universal issue with which we all should be concerned? Why the hyphen?

The noble experiment our Founding Fathers envisioned of multiple cultures integrating into a single American identity, one that was suppose to become the American people is beging to seperate into two classes instead dependent and self-reliant. With, the first outnumbering the second. Hyphenating Americans does more for the different ethnic groups identify more with their former homelands than America. In 1915, President Teddy Roosevelt said, “In this country we have no place for hyphenated Americans.” Multiculturalism is a curse, we perpetuate such division when we continue to allow appease those from other countries out of some fear that we lack cultural sensitivity or political correctness in public eye. If we continue to emphasize our differences we may find ourselves like the former Yugoslavia and their various ethnic groups who had never coalesced around a single national identity.We’re ignoring the true meaning of citizenship, I see it everyday. The Western (United) Roman Empire lasted 426 years and had somewhat similar problems, we are at little over 230 years.

Who is THIS GUY? I don't owe him a beer...... I owe him a case! :D

To those that don't know........ been to China, Singapore, VN, Philippines and to my own bloodlines in Italy......... they ALL suck by comparison, why the **** do you think you're here? It's obvious that someone before you agrees. :sad20::rolleyes:

Watdahec

Flipside
    Oct 31, 2012
    Glen burnie
    You may be hanging around the wrong bunch of Filipinos. the Ones that i know are usually pro gun, especially the ones with strong accents. LOL. Those will puck you up with their portypibe.

Full blooded filipino here and if situation arise that i needed to protect my family.
    My portypibe and balisong is within arms reach.(after opening the safe of course)

pakman916

Apr 23, 2011
    MoCo, MD

I had to look up your reference. Although I see the point you are trying to make, the reference in your post was made at a very different time in American history. Where although slavery was abolished, the American people were still very segregated with regards to color and nationality. Not that I hold a lot of weight in Wikipedia, but here is what is written there:

"In the United States, the term hyphenated American is an epithet commonly used from 1890 to 1920 to disparage Americans who were of foreign birth or origin, and who displayed an allegiance to a foreign country. It was most commonly used to disparage German Americans or Irish Americans (Catholics) who called for U.S. neutrality in World War I. Former President Theodore Roosevelt was an outspoken anti-hyphenate and Woodrow Wilson followed suit.[1]
    The term "hyphenated American" was published by 1889,[2] and was common as a derogatory term by 1904. During World War I the issue arose of the primary political loyalty of ethnic groups with close ties to Europe, especially German Americans and also Irish Americans. Former President Theodore Roosevelt in speaking to the largely Irish Catholic Knights of Columbus at Carnegie Hall on Columbus Day 1915, asserted that,[3]
    There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all … The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic … There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.
    President Woodrow Wilson regarded "hyphenated Americans" with suspicion, saying, "Any man who carries a hyphen about with him carries a dagger that he is ready to plunge into the vitals of this Republic whenever he gets ready."

Anyway, I don't believe this conversation is the purpose of the OP's question. If you are a citizen of the US, I think we can all agree we are "Americans". If you choose not to identify yourself with your ethnicity, that's your choice. I was born and raised here, but I can tell you that I was not raised the same way as my non-Asian friends. Where I come from, who I am, and what I chose to do with my heritage is woven into the fabric of my being. No matter how much I tell myself "I'm American", there is a very distinct part of me that is not part of the mainstream. None of my non-Asian friends can truly identify with it...therefore, it makes me different. But different is not a bad thing nor does it make me better or worse than anyone. It's just who I am. I am not just like everyone else. But I can identify with others that share the same history.

gridybrah

May 12, 2013
    I had to look up your reference. Although I see the point you are trying to make, the reference in your post was made at a very different time in American history. Where although slavery was abolished, the American people were still very segregated with regards to color and nationality. Not that I hold a lot of weight in Wikipedia, but here is what is written there:

"In the United States, the term hyphenated American is an epithet commonly used from 1890 to 1920 to disparage Americans who were of foreign birth or origin, and who displayed an allegiance to a foreign country. It was most commonly used to disparage German Americans or Irish Americans (Catholics) who called for U.S. neutrality in World War I. Former President Theodore Roosevelt was an outspoken anti-hyphenate and Woodrow Wilson followed suit.[1]
    The term "hyphenated American" was published by 1889,[2] and was common as a derogatory term by 1904. During World War I the issue arose of the primary political loyalty of ethnic groups with close ties to Europe, especially German Americans and also Irish Americans. Former President Theodore Roosevelt in speaking to the largely Irish Catholic Knights of Columbus at Carnegie Hall on Columbus Day 1915, asserted that,[3]
    There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all … The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic … There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.
    President Woodrow Wilson regarded "hyphenated Americans" with suspicion, saying, "Any man who carries a hyphen about with him carries a dagger that he is ready to plunge into the vitals of this Republic whenever he gets ready."

Anyway, I don't believe this conversation is the purpose of the OP's question. If you are a citizen of the US, I think we can all agree we are "Americans". If you choose not to identify yourself with your ethnicity, that's your choice. I was born and raised here, but I can tell you that I was not raised the same way as my non-Asian friends. Where I come from, who I am, and what I chose to do with my heritage is woven into the fabric of my being. No matter how much I tell myself "I'm American", there is a very distinct part of me that is not part of the mainstream. None of my non-Asian friends can truly identify with it...therefore, it makes me different. But different is not a bad thing nor does it make me better or worse than anyone. It's just who I am. I am not just like everyone else. But I can identify with others that share the same history.

can we get together and shoot, grab lunch, and discuss things? :D

my original post was not meant to start a discussion on hyphenated Americans. since political correctness is so vaulted on the forums, what i meant to ask was "are there any Americans who have distinctly yellow to brown skin whose heritage traces back to the Asian continent, that own firearms in the howard country area"? :rolleyes:

what pakman said in the bold is my feelings exactly in regards to the topic that is currently discussed.

MikeH

May 9, 2005
    I am a first-generation immigrant born in Taiwan and partly raised in the Philippines. Perhaps having lived under Chiang Kai-Shek and Ferdinand Marcos taught me how precious freedom is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom