• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eospeed

Jan 21, 2013
    Frederick
    Thank you for contacting me to express your thoughts on the national debate we are having in the wake of the mass shootings that have recently occurred throughout the country, including the tragic shooting in Newtown, Connecticut. I appreciate hearing from you.

Let me make a few points very clear. I appreciate and respect the rights of responsible adults to own guns. I support the Second Amendment and oppose any effort to deny law-abiding individuals the ability to own firearms.

There is no set of laws we can pass that can end all gun violence. There are, however, practical, common sense measures we can take to reduce mass killings and lower the death toll. These measures should include improving our mental health system, strengthening security at schools and other sites, and some common sense gun safety measures.

With respect to gun safety laws, I support measures to ensure that guns do not fall into the hands of criminals and individuals that have been found to be mentally unstable. Therefore, I do support measures to ensure that we have universal background checks. We also need to strengthen measures to prevent illegal gun trafficking and straw purchases. We should not make it easy for criminals to evade the criminal background checks by getting others to buy guns for them.

I also believe we need to adopt other common sense measures like limiting the magazine capacity to 10 rounds. Law enforcement officials have identified this strategy as the most effective way to limit the carnage during these horrific mass shootings, and they have also made clear that this limitation would not affect Americans' abilities to defend their families and property. As you may know, during the massacre in 2011 in Tucson, Arizona that killed 6 people and wounded 13 others, Jared Lee Loughner was finally stopped after emptying his 33-round high-capacity magazine by nearby heroes who restrained him while he was attempting to reload another magazine. The perpetrators of the Aurora and Newtown massacres used similarly large (or larger) magazines as well. This measure can help reduce the carnage of these horrific massacres.

Universal background checks, laws to prevent illegal gun trafficking, and a limit on the size of magazines are among the common sense steps we can take to prevent guns from falling into dangerous hands and to reduce the death toll. These measures should be part of a comprehensive strategy that also strengthens the mental health system and increases security in our schools and other places.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your views with me. Please do not hesitate to let me know whenever I may be of service.

Sincerely,
    Chris Van Hollen
    Member of Congress

P.S. Please visit my website at www.house.gov/vanhollen. While there, you can sign up for my e-mail newsletter, view press releases and statements, see what legislation I have sponsored or co-sponsored and receive information on the various constituent services provided by my office.

Facebook page link

https://www.facebook.com/ChrisVanHollen4Congress?fref=pb

L0gic

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2013
    10 round limit would not have stopped VA tech as I believe all he had was a backpack full of 10 round magazines.

Allowing VA students to carry their CCW on campus "would" have stopped him.

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    I got the same email. I replied putting him on notice I'd work to get him out of office if he votes for anything other than national background checks or strengthening mental health.

ChannelCat

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    The perennial kiss of death...
    Let me make a few points very clear. I appreciate and respect the rights of responsible adults to own guns. I support the Second Amendment and oppose any effort to deny law-abiding individuals the ability to own firearms...

...followed by the usual ant 2A zingers punctuated by the predictable cliches such as "gun safety" and "common sense"....

Formulaic and predictable as ba!!s!!
    :rolleye12

2AHokie

Dec 27, 2012
    District - 9A
    VA Tech was 15 round, and one of the Columbine killers used 10 round.

VA Tech was 15 round and 10 round. And the review panel specifically addressed the topic of reduced capacity magazines in their report. In general, the report is very biased against firearm ownership or the carrying of concealed handguns, so the fact that they admitted that a magazine capacity restriction wouldn't have helped is significant.

The panel also considered whether the previous federal Assault Weapons Act of 1994 that banned 15-round magazines would have made a difference in the April 16 incidents. The law lapsed after 10 years, in October 2004, and had banned clips or magazines with over 10 rounds. The panel concluded that 10-round magazines that were legal would have not made much difference in the incident. Even pistols with rapid loaders could have been about as deadly in this situation.

Page 74, http://www.governor.virginia.gov/tempcontent/techPanelReport-docs/FullReport.pdf

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    VA Tech was 15 round, and one of the Columbine killers used 10 round.

I think VA Tech was a combination. I believe he used a 9mm with 15 rounders and a .22 with 10 rounders.

Of course the key point out of the study with regards to whether mag limits might have saved lives was (paraphrasing) "No, we don't believe there would have been a difference even if he used a revolver with speed loaders".

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    The perennial kiss of death...

...followed by the usual ant 2A zingers punctuated by the predictable cliches such as "gun safety" and "common sense"....

Formulaic and predictable as ba!!s!!
    :rolleye12

One thing that always bothers me about these politically-driven armchair quarterbacks after senseless tragedies, is the fact that if the perpetrators had been required to use different equipment from the outset, they would have merely used different tactics -- with potentially the same or worse outcomes.

If Loughner had had 10, 10-rd mags, he might have not fumbled with a bigger one, and maybe done a lot more harm. Maybe it was a good thing that he had a big, bulky mag that he couldn't handle. Who knows?

The mental health issue is the only one that needs to be addressed, but they're using it as justification to open the door and get what they want -- eventual confiscation, but gradually enough to avoid too much push back.

By the way, Van Hollen represents many of the same voters at the federal level as Frosh does at the State. Bethesda/Chevy Chase, MoCo. They are birds of a feather.

kabk

Mar 2, 2013
    For me, a single use of the term "common sense" regarding anything political sets my BS meter off - this letter had four.

krztov

Jan 4, 2012
    Silver Spring
    My response:

I appreciate your response on this matter and while I do agree with a lot of what you have mentioned, there are some key points I do not agree with at all.

You say that limiting magazine capacity to 10 rounds would not affect the abilities to defend families and their property, then does this mean you are also limiting law enforcement to this amount? If there were more than 1 person with ill intent in my home, 10 rounds may not be enough, the criminals surely wont follow this, so say they all had a STANDARD capacity magazine, which for a Glock, one of the most common handguns, is 17 rounds, if I am limited to 10 rounds, I'm already at a disadvantage. If there were 2 attackers, then I'm already disadvantaged by 14 rounds, and so on.

You mention the mass shooters, but they are the minority here, there are millions of responsible gun owners out there, such as myself, that will be deemed criminals with any magazine bans/limits. You mentioned the Colorado shooter, but even CNN mentioned that he stopped because the gun JAMMED, higher capacity magazines sometimes are much more unreliable.

Source:*http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/22/us/colorado-shooting-investigation

No one stopped Newtown regardless of capacity because there was no one in a "Gun Free Zone" to stop him.

My issue here is that the only people that will be effected by this are the law abiding citizens of the nation, I have never been arrested, I have only had one speeding ticket in my life, but with this bill, something I own and use for sport or target shooting will become banned.

Will the criminals that stepped into gun free zones with no regard, committed murder with no hesitance, really care about one more law/ban?

I ask that you and your colleagues please rethink this portion of what is proposed because the rights of the many should not be infringed due to the inconceivable actions of the few.

Thank you for your time,
    Krztov

8milimeter

RICHARD (dino)
    Feb 15, 2009
    Frederick, Md
    Here is my reply. I am sending it to his web site also.
    Chris, I have been at all the gun hearings this year. Have you ???
    Maryland does not enforce the laws we have.
    They do not prosecute known straw purchases. None
    Convicted Felons commit the majority of gun crimes.
    Maryland has a revolving door for gun felons.
    Enforce the laws we have, do not create more laws that only effect law abiding citizens.
    Stop bending over for Governor O'Malley.

The gun owners in Maryland are pissed. You are turning us into political activists.
    We will be working hard to remove anyone that votes for SB281/HB294. "2013 Firearms safety act"

WE WILL REMEMBER YOUR VOTE

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    I got the same email. I replied putting him on notice I'd work to get him out of office if he votes for anything other than national background checks or strengthening mental health.
    IMO, national background checks are the first step in registration and then confiscation.

Here is my reply. I am sending it to his web site also.
    Chris, I have been at all the gun hearings this year. Have you ???
    Maryland does not enforce the laws we have.
    They do not prosecute known straw purchases. None
    Convicted Felons commit the majority of gun crimes.
    Maryland has a revolving door for gun felons.
    Enforce the laws we have, do not create more laws that only effect law abiding citizens.
    Stop bending over for Governor O'Malley.

The gun owners in Maryland are pissed. You are turning us into political activists.
    We will be working hard to remove anyone that votes for SB281/HB294. "2013 Firearms safety act"

WE WILL REMEMBER YOUR VOTE
    I agree with all you said, but Van Hollen is a federal maggot, not a Maryland maggot.

skibernie

Feb 22, 2008
    Silver Spring,MD

I did the same - replied saying that, as a newly minted democrat in his district :puke2: that I was going to do everything I could to unseat him.

MikeH

May 9, 2005
    Got the same form letter, and barely made it past the 3rd paragraph before clicking the trash can icon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom