• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    So for the past few weeks I've been shopping around for a compact 45 ACP. I've been almost set on the XDm 3.8 compact, Glock 30sf and Glock 36. I even had cash in my wallet on Thursday with the intent on "pulling the trigger" on the XDm but something told me to wait another day.

Thursday night a deal was posted on the classifieds for a Glock 36 and I jumped on it. The gun is in fantastic condition. I looked up the serial number and it looks like it was manufactured in 2000 but has no scratches or wear and no recalls on the serial number. We met yesterday at the Pikesville MSP licensing division and did the transfer paperwork. The seller and I had some good conversations about firearms and shooting while waiting for the Trooper to process the paperwork. It was a good experience.

I can't wait to take possession and run some rounds through it. I'm so very excited.

Here's photo that was sent to me by the seller. I'll take more when I bring it home in a week.

photo.JPG

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    Great buy, I carry a 36 daily. I can't tell from the picture but try some pearce +0 extensions, they give you a full grip with altering the geometry of the factory spring and without the bulk of the +1's

TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    Great buy, I carry a 36 daily. I can't tell from the picture but try some pearce +0 extensions, they give you a full grip with altering the geometry of the factory spring and without the bulk of the +1's

What holster or holsters have you used with your 36? What do you like and dislike and why?

Thanks

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Congrats on the G36!!!!

I came very close to getting the G36, but, wound up with a G30SF. (For now.)

For holsters, look at Don Hume.
    The "JIT Slide" is a good OWB holster and the "715" is a good IWB holster.
    I've got one of each for the G26/G19.

Dec 6, 2011
    I see two of the mags are +1 pierce adapters. If you have big hands, you'll really like those as they fill out the back of the grip as well. I went with Wolff +10% springs in mine just to be sure. .45 ammo is heavy and the super short action of the 36 is lightning fast. Timing is critical in short barrelled .45s.

You're going to love it. Recoil isn't really much worse than the 27 in .40. You'll have the hang of it inside a magazine or two.

It will fit in holsters designed for the 9/40 glocks, rather than the .45 versions.

TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    Two of the mags have +1 extensions on them already. The other two mags have the standard end plate. There are two additional unused +1 extensions that I may never use. We'll see.

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    You will love it. Some people say it's the bastard step child of the Glock family but I love em. Surprising accurate and fun to shoot.

armedsks

Feb 27, 2007
    Sharpsburg, MD
    Very accurate. Sometimes you can see the .45 bullet traveling towards it target.(shooting past 50 yards) Neat to watch. Dont notice much recoil even for the size. Excellent choice!!!

DGI

Jan 19, 2010
    Reisterstown MD
    i joined the GSSF last year to get the discount on getting a G30SF and a G36 but now that the new Springfield XDS is soon to be released, i think the GSSF certificates will go to waste... looking forward to your review

TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    So I picked up my Glock 36 on Saturday from the seller, and after shooting claybirds for an hour or so at Loch Raven I headed over to Freestate to try it out.

I shot 50 rounds of Federal Champion FMJ and 50 of Remington JHP through it. I had no failures to feed, fire, or eject. The recoil was easily manageable. I found that I liked shooting with the factory magazine setup more than those with the Pierce +1 grip extensions. The +1s just seemed way too long. I may try out a +0 extension just to give my pinky a little more contact area. I know 100 rounds isn't enough to really get a feel for it but I give it a thumbs up so far.

The Glock 36 felt very comfortable in my hands and fired where I was aiming. I did shoot 5 rounds at 25 yards and only managed to hit a 12"x12" target once but I think with a little practice and more time, I'll be extremely satisfied with this gun.

When I brought it home and stripped it down, I had some difficulty removing and then reinserting the recoil spring assembly. If this becomes a problem, I may consider changing out the stock guide rod. Any suggestions on this?

The slide release also seems to be a little pain in the ass to get my thumb on, partially due to its size and partially due to an old nagging thumb injury. I'm thinking about getting an extended slide release as well.

All in all, I'm pleased with my first Glock to this point. I hope to get out soon and really put it through the paces.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    So I picked up my Glock 36 on Saturday

When I brought it home and stripped it down, I had some difficulty removing and then reinserting the recoil spring assembly. If this becomes a problem, I may consider changing out the stock guide rod. Any suggestions on this?

The slide release also seems to be a little pain in the ass to get my thumb on, partially due to its size and partially due to an old nagging thumb injury. I'm thinking about getting an extended slide release as well.

All in all, I'm pleased with my first Glock to this point. I hope to get out soon and really put it through the paces.

The guide rod assembly should not be that difficult to remove. Is it really difficult or just different from other pistols? Mine is easy to remove.

I definitely recommend the extended slide release and the extended takedown release. (I hate those little tabs.)

Glad you're liking the Glock!

JavaDan

Beer - Nectar of the Gods
    Feb 25, 2010
    Pasadena

I bought an extended slide release for my G36 while I was waiting for the MSP paperwork, only to find out that when I got the gun it already had the extended release. I will look for the one I didn't use. If I can find it, and if you want it, I'll PM you.

The other change I made was to put in a 3.5# trigger bar. I love and recommend it.

Whether or not you change the trigger bar, you should do the 25 cent trigger job on it. It's not hard, gives you a smoother trigger, and is a good way to get to know the internals of the gun. Go to youtube and search for "glock trigger job" for a number of videos on what's involved. Basically, just get a tube of flitz polish and polish the trigger parts with a slow dremel pad. Really made a difference in mine.

--Dan

TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    The guide rod assembly should not be that difficult to remove. Is it really difficult or just different from other pistols? Mine is easy to remove.

I definitely recommend the extended slide release and the extended takedown release. (I hate those little tabs.)

Glad you're liking the Glock!

It's definitely different the other guns. It seems like the end of the guide rod has to pop into place. It's easier now that I'm more familiar with it.

I'll look into the takedown release. How much more extended would the tabs be?

TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    I bought an extended slide release for my G36 while I was waiting for the MSP paperwork, only to find out that when I got the gun it already had the extended release. I will look for the one I didn't use. If I can find it, and if you want it, I'll PM you.

The other change I made was to put in a 3.5# trigger bar. I love and recommend it.

Whether or not you change the trigger bar, you should do the 25 cent trigger job on it. It's not hard, gives you a smoother trigger, and is a good way to get to know the internals of the gun. Go to youtube and search for "glock trigger job" for a number of videos on what's involved. Basically, just get a tube of flitz polish and polish the trigger parts with a slow dremel pad. Really made a difference in mine.

--Dan

I am definitely interested in the slide release. Is it difficult to install?

Thanks for the tips! I'll look up those videos.

Thanks.

JavaDan

Beer - Nectar of the Gods
    Feb 25, 2010
    Pasadena
    I am definitely interested in the slide release. Is it difficult to install?

Thanks for the tips! I'll look up those videos.

Thanks.

Not difficult at all. I'll take a picture of my 36 when I get home tonight, and you can compare it for yourself.

The 36 is my first and only Glock, so I haven't got a point of reference to judge the size difference to the standard lever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom