• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mxskater25

Jul 31, 2016
    im sure this has been covered numerous times, so im gonna put on my flame retardant suit. But what do you need to bring target wise?

is the frame provided by the range? i came from hawaii where we needed our own frame cardboard backing and targets.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    The frames contain orange construction netting and you clip your paper targets to the netting with wooden clothes-pins. There are usually clothes-pins on the targets or in a bucket at the firing line, but to be safe just bring a pack. The target has to be smaller than the frame and they frown on taping your targets to the either the frames or the netting. I use those stick-on day-glow Birch Casey targets for rifle as that is the only way to see the impacts with my scope. I just pin a big sighting target to the netting and stick four of the sticky targets to that.

mxskater25

Jul 31, 2016
    There are frames. Bring targets, cardboard if it's windy, and your own clothespins.
    Thanks! How's the crowding seems crazy it only has eight lanes. Also are there designated spots to put the frames in or do you have to beat them in the ground.

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    Thanks! How's the crowding seems crazy it only has eight lanes. Also are there designated spots to put the frames in or do you have to beat them in the ground.

stand up by themselves no staking required you can move from 25 yard's to 100 yard's best time to go is during the week should you be lucky and have a day off from work

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    Got there yesterday about 11:00 and was able to get a lane as someone was leaving. Shot for an hour, picked up brass and left. Friday's seem hit or miss crowd wise. Middle of the week I've had the place to myself at times. All DNR ranges are closed next week on the 12th I believe it said on the board going in.

For new bees all the target instructions are on the benches, what size targets and how to attach.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Yeah, it can get very crowded on nice weekends. I recommend putting on warm clothes and going on cold mornings. During the week if you can. That alone keeps most of the crowds and sketchy people away.

SpatialD

Aug 8, 2015
    Temple Hills
    A few months ago I had opportunity to visit Myrtle for the first time and, just my luck, it was the last four days of their range rebuild. Since it was closed (aside from construction crew work) we decided to walk to the skeet range. While there a DNR emloyee came to politely move us on as he said too many people were stopping by and distracting the work crew with questions. Don't remember the fellas name but he was tall (taller than my 5'8"), bearded and one heck of a convivial guy quite happy to talk with us for quite some time.

One thing that surprised me was his mention that all handguns must be fired from a seated position. He stated the concern is that from a standing position it was too likely that ricochets off the ground would clear even the newly heightened backstop and end up on neighboring property. This didn't seem to be an insurmountable condition to defeat either by a berm specific to the pistol lanes or maybe simply making a caliber specific (possibly 22S/LR only) rule. I'm thinking the real danger would be double-tap or rapid fire simply being cleanly shot over the current backstop...not ground ricochets.

With a friend coming into town I do plan on getting down there the second week of November for both long and hand. I don't follow the hunting calendar so will have to check for range-closed days first.

Last edited:

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    A few months ago I had opportunity to visit Myrtle for the first time and, just my luck, it was the last four days of their range rebuild. Since it was closed (aside from construction crew work) we decided to walk to the skeet range. While there a DNR emloyee came to politely move us on as he said too many people were stopping by and distracting the work crew with questions. Don't remember the fellas name but he was tall (taller than my 5'8"), bearded and one heck of a convivial guy quite happy to talk with us for quite some time.

One thing that surprised me was his mention that all handguns must be fired from a seated position. He stated the concern is that from a standing position it was too likely that ricochets off the ground would clear even the newly heightened backstop and end up on neighboring property. This didn't seem to be an insurmountable condition to defeat either by a berm specific to the pistol lanes or maybe simply making a caliber specific (possibly 22S/LR only) rule. I'm thinking the real danger would be double-tap or rapid fire simply being cleanly shot over the current backstop...not ground ricochets.

With a friend coming into town I do plan on getting down there the second week of November for both long and hand. I don't follow the hunting calendar so will have to check for range-closed days first.

the sitting down while shooting hand guns has been lifted per post #2289 on this thread

SpatialD

Aug 8, 2015
    Temple Hills
    the sitting down while shooting hand guns has been lifted per post #2289 on this thread
    Much appreciate the heads-up!

That's fabulous news! The new berm/backstop must be more effective than expected when we spoke during construction. Lifts all apprehension of making a trip down there.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    It's fun being at the range when it's packed and you have the loudest gun(M44) and the biggest magazines(33rd). Seems like people stop shooting to watch you shoot.

bhtr

Feb 1, 2013
    Calvert County,
    Do you see many AR pistols at Myrtle Grove? Looking for a place to shoot but not looking to do a lot of explaining about a short barrel and a Thordsen enhanced cheek weld. Just wondering how familiar LEOs, DNR and ROs are with the set up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom