• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigTrain

Jan 3, 2018
    Baltimore

midlifecrisis

Jan 21, 2018
    Went to high school with the guy who runs Roberts Ranch http://www.robertsranch.com/ He has hogs out there and the deer are outrageous. Tell him I sent you and he'll treat you right.

Edit - Just saw where you said you weren't looking for a high-fences hunt. His place is fenced. But if you're in the area, you know...

Last edited:

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    Anyone have any recommendations for hunts around Austin? Turns out I may be going down there next month, and will have two days to kill.

I would Google to see if there are any big game ranches in the area. Call a few of them and tell them you are going to be in town and ask if they have any nuisance hogs that you could hunt. Many ranches will let you hunt for free to kill hogs.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    I would Google to see if there are any big game ranches in the area. Call a few of them and tell them you are going to be in town and ask if they have any nuisance hogs that you could hunt. Many ranches will let you hunt for free to kill hogs.

I checked the googles and there are several options, but they all are high fence and/or night hunts...which wouldn't work out with my schedule. So that kinda sucks.

If I could get on a ranch for a DIY hunt, I could go for that. Only problem would be getting the meat back would be on me (most of the canned hunts have accommodations for that).

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    Another nod for Okeechobee Outfitters. I've been going there for 3 years now and I won't go anywhere else.

Danny (owner) will be at the Harrisburg show.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Some hog hunting fun..... Someone needs to teach this guy about shot placement (he shot this hog a total of 31 times)

So I will preface this with F that guy, he's a sh**bag. The fact that he just stared at that hog for almost a minute instead of putting it down means he's a bad name to hunters. But I count a max of 12-13 shots of which I'll say 8 at most hit the pig. The first one doesn't look horrible,right behind the leg right in the boiler. Personally I would've head shot a perfect broadside like that. But yeah no idea why the guy didn't just off the damn thing after it fell.

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    So I will preface this with F that guy, he's a sh**bag. The fact that he just stared at that hog for almost a minute instead of putting it down means he's a bad name to hunters. But I count a max of 12-13 shots of which I'll say 8 at most hit the pig. The first one doesn't look horrible,right behind the leg right in the boiler. Personally I would've head shot a perfect broadside like that. But yeah no idea why the guy didn't just off the damn thing after it fell.

Yeah, I agree not much of an ethical hunter. He almost deserves to be gored by a boar. If you go to the actual YouTube video he says himself that he shot it 20 times with .300Blk and then 11 more times with his .380. Which brings up another question who carries a .380 as a backup when hog hunting?

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    Not sure what would be good for you. We go down in January every year because it's cooler and has less mosquitoes.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    I heard on the video that he carried a 30 rnd mag.
    That means he's hunting with 5.56/.223 which is without excellent shot placement a tad light IMHO.
    I'm not sure of the hog's weight but perhaps that's part the reason why so many hits didn't stop the hog is that they have an incredibly tough shoulder plate which looks like where the first shot was placed.
    Our guide told us to absolutely forget 5.56 for a large feral hog.
    I used a 7.62x51 NATO with a Barnes bullet and had no such issue but my 800 lb hog was dropped with a single shot to the neck.

Ponch

Feb 7, 2018
    Odenton
    I would bet he was using 6.8 SPC or 300 blk. I am from texas and do a LOT of hog hunting. I will warn anyone that goes be careful it's like heroin. It's all fun and next thing you know you get a gateway scope (like a night vision) and before you know it you have a NFA trust 3 suppressors, SBRs, thermal scopes, no marriage because u are out all night hunting...can't work because you are constantly researching...oh look sun is going down and its snowing...might need to go call some coyotes!

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    I guess he likes to watch what he has almost put down die a slow death. Dirt Bag shoot the hog to kill not what he was doing. Sometimes I wonder what goes thru peoples heads. Not to mention that if he eats the hog better watch out for lead in every other bite. Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom