• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    This won't be popular but...

Using police and killing the deer after dark has two advantages. It allows the police to become more proficient at sniping during night time hours and it feeds, for the most part, Democratic voters.

The first part, I am strongly averse to. The second, well people gotta eat, I guess.

Yeah, but I doubt the officers are just volunteering their time. Seems like the kind of thing where they are getting overtime to reduce the Bambi herds. I’d rather my tax dollars get spent on a single DNR officer managining a dozen or three bow or shotgun hunters. And some lottery hunts you pay for...so...

Then again, maybe it is more cost effective paying the officers overtime. Don’t know the calculus on that one.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Yeah, but I doubt the officers are just volunteering their time. Seems like the kind of thing where they are getting overtime to reduce the Bambi herds. I’d rather my tax dollars get spent on a single DNR officer managining a dozen or three bow or shotgun hunters. And some lottery hunts you pay for...so...

Then again, maybe it is more cost effective paying the officers overtime. Don’t know the calculus on that one.

Want to add another variable to the calculus? How about charging a use fee for hunting in the parks. I am pretty sure some people would pay $100 a day to hunt in a state park. There are plenty of government places that use "user fees". Heck, the parks already use them if you want to use a pavilion. Think it is something like a couple hundred dollars to use a pavilion for a party. You want to shoot at PG Trap & Skeet, a government funded place, then you have to pay to use the facilities.

End of the day, I would prefer that there are more hunting opportunities for people.

Let's throw some more issues into the mix here. Parks are closed at night, so you will not have soccer moms crying that their kids cannot use the park during the day, you will not have mountain bikers crying that they cannot use the trails during the day, etc. So, by not having public hunts during the day, the "normal" users of the park will not be complaining that they cannot use the park. They will just be complaining that the got Lyme disease and the deer herd needs to be culled through birth control. lol

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I was earlier saying the deer around me are going nocturnal. I will correct myself.
    I don't think the deer are nocturnal, they are just choosing where to go during the day.
    With no leaves on the tree, they don't need to walk into a clearing for sunlight to warm up. Driving some back roads last weekend, I saw deer out in fields where I know there is zero hunting pressure. I also saw some off the road in the woods walking.
    I don't know if there are still acorn on the ground or under the leaves but they have to be eating something during the day.
    My feeder was set to 2hrs before sunset until last weekend where i set it to 7am. I am hoping they adjust and come out early as they have had no problem only coming out well after dark. If they don't eat my corn, the birds an squirrels will. I only have a few chances to hunt left this month. Hoping to see them on camera during hunting hours.

They do not need to eat anything during the day, they can be eating solely at night. With that said, on days before storms roll in, I have been seeing 20+ deer out in some fields. One that comes to mind is a field off of route 144 just east of Pfefferkorn (sp.)

As you mentioned, the deer are not stupid. Neither are the waterfowl. They will all move to spots where there is no hunting pressure.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    No cameras, but will think about it now. I've never had nocturnal deer in that area. There's a small spring in that area that seems flow most winters. My guess is that with the warmer weather, it's flowing again and they are looking for a drink before they bed down for the night.

Just a guess.

I'm not usually interested in Nocturnal deer, unless the DNR starts to allow night time hunting.
    they still go nocturnal...;) thats why you prob dont see them till after hunting/rifle season.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Over in patuxent today. Looking for turkey actually. Some reasonable fresh deer poop. Maybe today, could have been in the last couple. No tracks anywhere, even in the snow. Two turkeys on one set of tracks crossing the path near my car. Otherwise no sign of anything bigger then a fox/cat (saw a black cat all the way at the other end of the fields near brown’s Church. No collar, perk of having binocs with me, lol).

Fabs, I don’t know about $100 per day (personally), but if it was $100 for a slot for a few days, absolutely. Like if some parks were open for a week a year of bow hunting at $100, sure is probably pay that.

If no federal funding bill today, I might have plenty of extra time to hunt the end of the season (if they don’t get it down know, I can’t imagine they’ll kiss and make up in a day or two). Hopefully that isn’t the case. Pretty sure this time I’d just be SOL on the missed work/pay.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    The deer being nocturnal or hiding has ended over my way. Took the shotgun out to chase winter turkeys. but none of those bastages decided to play. So sitting with a shotgun and #5 shot and 15 deer walk past me at 20 - 30 yards in 15 minutes. :sad20: I've gave up deer hunting as I have other things to do.

7 does in the first pack, 2 forks horns each missing one antler and another missing both a bit smaller, third pack 5 does. Bumped a pack of 4 with a piebald walking in at 7:45 and another good I could not clearly see. I have finally this year figured the deer out on this farm and the areas they move to make stand placements better next year. I am filling the freezer during bow as this place just about shuts down from the Saturday after Thanksgiving to the after the early January season. You might be able to shoot farther with a rifle, but you can't shoot what you can't see. :D

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Ha Ha

I had the opposite experience.

I had a flock of 8 turkeys walk past at 35 yards, but I couldn't get a shot with the crossbow. Too many limbs, and brush in the way.

fscwi

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2012
    Maybe last time out for the year yesterday, got some more meat for the freezer. Good hit watched it go about 40 yards and tip over, love seeing the quick kill. Been seeing good numbers and movement the last few weeks, getting a clear shot has been the challenge.

Attachments

• IMG_2165.jpg
      IMG_2165.jpg
      158.3 KB · Views: 252

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    Almost given up for the season. 7 in the freezer so their nocturnalness is my fault. Found a new bedding spot on my property that looks promising so giving it a few more attempts.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I pulled my cameras yesterday, nothing during the day for me. I had a black bear that showed up Saturday 1/20 @ 8:45pm or so....shouldn't they be hibernating. I don't wanna see them this early.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    I haven't hunted whitetail since 12/18. Got a freezer full of venison and turkey now, so unless I get a wild hair, I'll be done.

I almost always hunt the final day though, so it would be sad to break that tradition.

RetiredArmyGuy

Jan 16, 2018
    Pasadena, MD
    I have put five away in the freezer with a Crossbow this year. Hoping to get at least one more before it’s finished. Guess I need to get a photo account so I can share pictures. Sitting in a blind as I post this!

Edit: figured it out I think....

Attachments

• CB243A4E-2F4B-4F22-910D-CF76376501B8.jpg
      CB243A4E-2F4B-4F22-910D-CF76376501B8.jpg
      158.4 KB · Views: 76
    Last edited:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I have put five away in the freezer with a Crossbow this year. Hoping to get at least one more before it’s finished. Guess I need to get a photo account so I can share pictures. Sitting in a blind as I post this!

Can be done with a smart phone alone if you own one. Good luck with the deer hunting.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Kind of wish I took off sick today to go hunting (deer fever, boss). Glad I didn’t. I telework on Monday’s and my wife got a call at 3:30 right before the kids were going to get home from school that she had to do Scouts with the youngest. She had completely forgotten!

That would have been a damned mess if I hadn’t tagged out earlier in the day. Me in a stand, 2 miles from home. No chance of being home in time without leaving all my crap in the park and hoofing it (it’s almost half a mile from where I like to setup and the parking lot).

Oh well. No chance of getting out the last couple of days. Good job this year to all who connected. Time to start thinking of spring turkey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom