Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    WOW.

Change in primers.

Change in COAL.

Change in bullet.

And you wonder why the load won't shoot? :lol2:

This thing keeps getting crazier. I just came back from the range a bit ago and I'm beginning to think that my "good" load was nothing more than a fluke on the day I tried it.

CCI #34 - Rounds: 6 shots, Avg. 2303, Extreme Spread 235, SD 89
    CCI#200 - Rounds: 10 shots, Avg. 2206, Extreme Spread 91, SD 26

Noticeable differences between the two loads. But, my "good load" almost shot at bad as my bad load today. I think I'm going back to square one and use 150gr ball ammo (instead of match) with a different tried and true powder. I need to get a good baseline before I do anything else.

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    Just a few weeks ago, but the weather has changed pretty dramatically since then. I was thinking that too while I was shooting today. IMR4895 isn't a particularly temperature insensitive powder. However, I don't think there was a big difference in temps when I first tried the load with the #34 primers.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    It seems odd you shot those development loads for enough of a day to see stable groups then it falls apart. If this was a tight sweet spot amid large groups (����) then I would say definitely unstable load. When I evaluate a load I go by chrono data, how the load groups on either side of the tight group load, and group shape. There shouldn't be large deviation from one load increment to the next.

I am thinking more the rifle than the load. As mentioned before hammer fall andcup hardness. While not familiar with your model rifle, I have seen going from warm and humid to cool and dry wreak havoc...especially when I was shooting my Ruger M77 in 30-06 a good bit. Bedding the stock ended all that.

Your chrono data does indicate undesirable characteristics. Check the rifle well...weather change coincides with your group deterioration. Maybe a slightly faster powder if the rifle checks out.

The military ammo you mentioned (or reloaded equivilent you mentioned) would be a good starting point. As it is both load and rifle are suspect.

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    Unfortunately, the MAS 49/56 isn't as easy to take apart as other battle rifles. The French designed it so a soldier in the field couldn't FUBAR it. It's easy as hell to field strip and clean, but beyond that I can't even find any instructions on the proper way to disassemble the rifle. Everything seems tight, but it might be TOO tight somewhere..

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom