• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    My plan for my collection is 3 lever actions. I actually just picked up a .45LC Uberti Henry 1860 reproduction, so I have that one crossed off.

Now I think a good .357 lever action for cheap ammo shooting and .45-70 for some full power loads.

I’m thinking a Winchester 1873 in .357 and a Marlin in 1895 in .45-70.

Any other recommendations?

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    I’ve got an 1873 in 38/357 from Taylor’s, it’s my favorite rifle to shoot. Hands down.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    The Uberti/Cimmaron/Taylor's 1873s are a great option to the Winchester. The Marlin in 45-70 is a solid choice. Greentops in VA had Winchesters in stock. My brother just got a Taylors 1873.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    If you hadn't picked up the 45 revolver Henry 1860, might have suggested 44 Mag, the heir in some ways to 44-40 (44 wcf), an original caliber for levers and pistols. Don't know when 45 levers started to come on the scene, but I believe the original pairing was a 44-40 revolver and lever gun. Perhaps someone more into CAS can clarify/correct.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    If you hadn't picked up the 45 revolver Henry 1860, might have suggested 44 Mag, the heir in some ways to 44-40 (44 wcf), an original caliber for levers and pistols. Don't know when 45 levers started to come on the scene, but I believe the original pairing was a 44-40 revolver and lever gun. Perhaps someone more into CAS can clarify/correct.

The .45 LC I believe is the best combination of availability/easiest to match the ballistics of a .44 Henry Rimfire, so that’s why I went with that.

I’m not against .44, but the ones I left make on my list are full power which the .44 is not, and cheap which the .44 is not. I will be picking up a .44 mag revolver though.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    The .45 LC I believe is the best combination of availability/easiest to match the ballistics of a .44 Henry Rimfire, so that’s why I went with that.

I’m not against .44, but the ones I left make on my list are full power which the .44 is not, and cheap which the .44 is not. I will be picking up a .44 mag revolver though.
    I have 5 lever calibers right now, but none that starts with a ".4", so it's something on my mind. You should definitely get the .357 combination.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    The .357 is definitely the one I’d buy next. Comparatively inexpensive ammo, you can shoot it all day long without having it wear on you, and the .357 really benefits from being chambered in a rifle. Not unusual to see 500fps or so in velocity increase when fired out of a rifle.

My next lever action is going to be a 41 Mag., for no particular reason other than I’ve always loved the cartridge. Probably not a cartridge to consider unless you’re loading your own, or have some seriously deep pockets, or just really want something different.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD

Picking up a .44 Mag lever gun is what tipped the scales for me to start reloading. Started .357 at the same time since I could use H110 powder for both. Buying in bulk when stuff is on sale puts me at 20 cents a round not including brass.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    The .357 is definitely the one I’d buy next. Comparatively inexpensive ammo, you can shoot it all day long without having it wear on you, and the .357 really benefits from being chambered in a rifle. Not unusual to see 500fps or so in velocity increase when fired out of a rifle.

My next lever action is going to be a 41 Mag., for no particular reason other than I’ve always loved the cartridge. Probably not a cartridge to consider unless you’re loading your own, or have some seriously deep pockets, or just really want something different.

I agree with the 357 mag / 38 special. I had mine out 2 weeks ago shooting 38 special, 158 grain lead round nose bullets (sub sonic) and we wernt wearing ear pro while standing 5 feet away. The gun is such a soft shooter, its one of my favorites.

I wish i could upload the video from my phone to this thread. I just re watched it and it seemed that the action cycling was louder than the gun firing

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    How about adding a .22 lever gun to that collection? Really cheap to shoot and lots of fun. My Marlin 39A is one of my favorites.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    1892 16” Carbine in 357 is the way to go.

Light, Nimble, Easy Handling especially with a large loop

I have a 20 year old Rossi in SS and it’s my favorite truck gun and a great companion rifle to my GP100s

ironhead7544

Oct 27, 2018
    The Old West 45 Colt cartridge had too small a rim for the lever action extractor. The modern 45 Colt cases have a much larger rim.

I prefer the 44 Magnum in the lever action rifle. If you handload, the 44 Magnum with light cast bullet loads is not that much more expensive than a 357 Magnum. If you only shoot factory ammo, the 38 Special/357 Magnum is cheaper.

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    Marlin for.45- 70 is good, but hard to beat a Winchester 1886. $$$$ but you can't take it with you, can you?

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Marlin for.45- 70 is good, but hard to beat a Winchester 1886. $$$$ but you can't take it with you, can you?

Looking around, the Marlin and Henry’s are well made levers. I have toyed with getting a handgun magnum and/or brushgun rifle caliber lever. Handling those two makers the guns are solid designs, operate smoothly, etc.. I have a real thing for the stainless/laminate Henry. One day maybe...

They cost a few more $$$ as toppkat indicated. But that would be buy once, cry once for each rifle.

My preferences would be a 44 Magnum and the 45-70...better still the 44 and a used Marlin 444. But that’s just me.

Postell

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 5, 2018
    For 47-70 look at a Browning 1886 carbine or rifle in standard or high grade. Steel and walnut, they are excellent shooters and have always held there value.
    If you are considering a lever 22, your money will be well spent with any grade Browning BL22, same as above, all steel and walnut. beware of pot-metal lever 22's.
    If you hold a Browning lever, you will buy it, and hand them down for generations to come.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I wish Henry would try a loading gate on their rifles. The tube load is stupid. They make a nice gun, save for that.

That the one feature I like on the Rossi .454 guns it allows both. You can bulk load with the tube and then top off with the gate as needed. Its slick and don't understand why more of the manufactures don't do this.

Postell

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 5, 2018
    That the one feature I like on the Rossi .454 guns it allows both. You can bulk load with the tube and then top off with the gate as needed. Its slick and don't understand why more of the manufactures don't do this.

Because it changes the cost to manufacture, just like what metals, finishes and wood that are used between price ranges.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom