• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Trying my hand at some duck and goose shooting next weekend. I've got some Black Cloud BBs for Geese, but was wondering what everyone else uses for ducks. Not going after high-flyers here, jump shooting mostly. I know Kent has a good rep, but didn't know if there were any others worth looking at. FWIW, it'll be coming out of a 28" vent-rib with a modified choke on a Maverick 88 by Mossberg. Don't want to go full with the BBs being the mix.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    As already mentioned, you should pattern the gun with a couple different loads. I use a different combination in my gun and I mostly go for geese with the occasional ducks mixed in. Every once in a while, I go just for ducks.

First shot, Remington Nitro Steel #BB/BBB or Hevi-Metal #2/BB/BBB
    Second shot, Remington Hevi-Shot #B
    Third Shot, Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote #T

If I am mostly into ducks, things change up a little. I go with #2 on the first and second shot with Nitro Steel or Hevi-Metal and then for the third shot I go with Hevi-Shot #2 or B.

First shot comes from the shell tubes on my jacket, 2nd shot from the right pocket, 3rd shot from the left pocket. I have OCD problems. lol

I have been using a Patternmaster choke for non-toxic loads for the past decade or more.

Attachments

• MdShooters160.jpg
      MdShooters160.jpg
      43.6 KB · Views: 98
    • MdShooters161.jpg
      MdShooters161.jpg
      40.6 KB · Views: 98

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    Buy a few and pattern them. Every choke is different. But my personal favorite load for whatever flies is Kent fasteel #2s.

I have plenty of these that I bought for a Sea Duck hunt a few years ago. I'd be interested in selling if you were interested in buying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom