• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Hunted the Pimlico Sound this morning.

Limited out by 11.
    Merganser and a buffie, nice. Buffleheads are one of the most underrated and pretty ducks out there. Haven’t duck hunted in years but always regret never getting one mounted. Congrats on your great day.

EliteContent

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 3, 2013
    Thanks AlBeight.

We were just talking about the same thing.

The drake baffle head is gorgeous.

One more day of hunting tomorrow.

Will report back.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Hunted the Pimlico Sound this morning.

Limited out by 11.

Pamlico sound in NC?
    Nice work, pretty birds.

We were going to go out on the Potomac this morning and wimped out because it's so cold plus we have a goose hunt Saturday and didn't want to do back to back 3:00 AM wake up calls. So we said let's just go deer hunting instead and then at 11:00 last night said screw that I'm not sitting in a stand when it's 16 degrees out. I've been pouting all day about missed opportunity and disgusted at myself for being soft. I did stay pretty warm today though :)

EliteContent

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 3, 2013
    Yep.

I’m in NC.

I do not blame you. At 16 degrees that is cold.

It was 28 when we left. The temp got up to 31 at 10 am.

I think the high here today was 36.

Tomorrow should be a touch warmer.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Pamlico sound in NC?
    Nice work, pretty birds.

We were going to go out on the Potomac this morning and wimped out because it's so cold plus we have a goose hunt Saturday and didn't want to do back to back 3:00 AM wake up calls. So we said let's just go deer hunting instead and then at 11:00 last night said screw that I'm not sitting in a stand when it's 16 degrees out. I've been pouting all day about missed opportunity and disgusted at myself for being soft. I did stay pretty warm today though :)

You softy. lol

I have bought so much stuff recently to stay warm, that I would put myself in the brilliant wimp category. Then again, that might be a better category than the dumb hard arse category freezing my butt off waiting for a deer or some other game.

Hold on a second, let me go throw a couple more logs on the fire.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Limited out at 10:15 this morning on the Eastern Shore.
    Lots of birds moving, except these of course.

Attachments

• IMG_0883.jpg
      IMG_0883.jpg
      91.2 KB · Views: 143

EliteContent

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 3, 2013
    Second day hunt (Saturday).

Saw a lot of activity in the morning. Shot 4 widgeon, but one got up like a bufflehead and flew away.
    Everything went quiet at 10:30. We packed it in at 11:30 and went for lunch.

Great hunt!
    Happy New Years All!

See you on the other side.

Attachments

• 39A3D5FD-D068-4A14-8A47-DFC3CB96F413.jpg
      39A3D5FD-D068-4A14-8A47-DFC3CB96F413.jpg
      73.2 KB · Views: 155
    Last edited:

EliteContent

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 3, 2013
    Friend and his son got 3 ring necks, a hen red head and a swan in Currituck!

Attachments

• 8BEA63DD-97EF-4D74-8D6B-AC2CBED925CC.jpg
      8BEA63DD-97EF-4D74-8D6B-AC2CBED925CC.jpg
      125.4 KB · Views: 135

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    On 12/23 we got our 4-man limit of geese near Easton by 9am--second weekend in a row we cleaned up quick! I spent this past week going for pheasant in the Midwest. How is the water looking you guys? I'm wondering if the larger creeks of the Potomac, Patuxent, Choptank, etc. are freezing up in this cold. I'm hoping to get out on Saturday in St. Mary's County one way or another but don't want to get to a place where all the water is locked up.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Potomac is damn near locked up. I checked out a couple of ramps yesterday, and solid ice about 20' out. There was some water moving out in the middle, but I suspect that after this weekend, that won't be the case. I may be done waterfowling for the year :(

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Potomac is damn near locked up. I checked out a couple of ramps yesterday, and solid ice about 20' out. There was some water moving out in the middle, but I suspect that after this weekend, that won't be the case. I may be done waterfowling for the year :(

We had that discussion at home last night: are we done for the season?
    We use silhouette goose decoys. No way I’ll be able to get them in the ground for at least a week after this weekend. Then where will the birds be?

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    We use silhouette goose decoys. No way I’ll be able to get them in the ground for at least a week after this weekend. Then where will the birds be?

yeah, that's my thought as well. Even if everything opens up, the birds will have pushed south.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    It is going to rain Monday January 8th in he evening. The water will rise, all the ice will break and turn the river into a meat grinder. When it goes back down it will be open again for business.

The Hancock prediction does not cover that time frame and the rain yet. Th river is slowly falling now. Bad news is an 18" to 24" rise can leave all the ramps and lots cover in ice blocks making the river still inaccessible.

hnkm2_hg.png

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll

Yeah, I had that discussion with myself this morning. lol

I'm going to have to do some scouting around here in the morning and late afternoon to see if it is worth even trying to hunt. I have the ability to use full body decoys or shells, so I can hunt in anything but extreme wind. When it snows, I can put a little tea candle underneath the shells and keep the snow off of them. It allows me to slaughter the birds IF the birds are around and you consider 2 birds a person a slaughter.

If I can find the birds, I'll send you a PM to see if you are free for a hunt. Then again, I guess I have to get over this cold before my wife will let me out of the house again.

This weather change definitely is not good for waterfowling. Really, really warm weather, and then overnight it goes to really, really cold.

Too many things to deal with as an adult. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom