• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    This entire major vs minor discussion is kind of academic for me, because I don't have a rig to shoot major remotely competitively. Like... the only pistols I've got in major are .45ACP, and they're a semi-modern 1911 and a double-stack sub-compact 1911 (BUL M5 Ultra). I guess I could theoretically shoot it with the latter if I had a holster for it, but let's be real, it would not end well compared to all the dudes with Glock 35s, nevermind real race guns.

So, I'm stuck with 9mm either way. It devolves into whether I want to shoot Production or Limited Minor right now. Maybe I'll try CO later, though.

I didn't see your question that way. More like you were asking if you should shoot production (10 rounds, 5-6 mags) or limited minor (23 rounds, 3 mags). Either will be fun, and more rounds downrange than idpa. Hell, come down this fall for the SMPS monster match (with 50 round stages) and throw a TON of lead downrange. You'll want to fill every mag you can carry,

Racinready300ex

Jun 3, 2009
    This entire major vs minor discussion is kind of academic for me, because I don't have a rig to shoot major remotely competitively. Like... the only pistols I've got in major are .45ACP, and they're a semi-modern 1911 and a double-stack sub-compact 1911 (BUL M5 Ultra). I guess I could theoretically shoot it with the latter if I had a holster for it, but let's be real, it would not end well compared to all the dudes with Glock 35s, nevermind real race guns.

So, I'm stuck with 9mm either way. It devolves into whether I want to shoot Production or Limited Minor right now. Maybe I'll try CO later, though.

Yeah, neither of those would really help. A 1911 could be used in Single stack or Limited 10 shooting Major. (Don't do L-10) But that doesn't sound like what you're looking for.

Even though your 17 is better suited for production shoot Limited Minor, watch everyone else shoot and get a feel for the other divisions. If you're happy in Limited Minor go for it. I know you're not worried about how you finish, but with enough work you can win matches around here shooting Limited Minor. (doesn't mean minor is better) If you want to be more competitive with out changing anything try production.

If it were me, I'd add a Dot and shoot CO once I got a feel for how things work. But I have been doing it for a few years and already know what I like, and what works. Another thing to consider is see what divisions are popular at your local club. It's not all that fun to be the only guy in your division, trust me I used to shoot Revolver lol

Last edited:

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    If it were me, I'd add a Dot and shoot CO once I got a feel for how things work.
    I have a PF940C with an RMR, but 1) it has a TLR-2 on it and 2) I have no holster for it. It has a comp, too, but that's small potatoes to solve. I assume just having the laser on there is a problem even if I don't use it.

Racinready300ex

Jun 3, 2009
    I have a PF940C with an RMR, but 1) it has a TLR-2 on it and 2) I have no holster for it. It has a comp, too, but that's small potatoes to solve. I assume just having the laser on there is a problem even if I don't use it.

That I don't know, I would assume the laser would be a bump to open. And of course the comp would move to open.

I used to shoot a Glock 17 with a comp and a Dot in open and did okay with it. With out a doubt it does not shoot like a open 2011, but it can be done. I ran it as 9 Major and was able to make it to Master in Open after just a few months of shooting it. Certainly a underdog set up in open.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Update: Match was last night. I took everyone's advice and just ran Production with my G17. As it turned out, the stage design was such that 10rds in the mag basically didn't matter - 3/4 of the stages had a mandatory reload after 6 or 8 rounds, and the one stage that didn't have the mandatory reload had a run that you could do a tactical reload[1] on. I didn't place very well because I sucked at shooting the stages, but I'm getting the idea of how all this works now.

Thanks for the advice, folks!

[1] And, wow, I sucked at that. Too used to only reloading when my mag runs dry, IDPA-style.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    [1] And, wow, I sucked at that. Too used to only reloading when my mag runs dry, IDPA-style.

good on you for stepping outside your comfort zone and hitting a match!!!

was this a uspsa match? are you saying you retained the half empty mag? you don't want to do that in uspsa, let that thing hit the ground while you're stuffing a new mag in, while moving of course. maybe i'm misunderstanding 'tactical.'

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    good on you for stepping outside your comfort zone and hitting a match!!! was this a uspsa match?
    To be fair, I've done IDPA a few times before. This was my first USPSA match.

are you saying you retained the half empty mag? you don't want to do that in uspsa, let that thing hit the ground while you're stuffing a new mag in, while moving of course. maybe i'm misunderstanding 'tactical.'
    No, I did something even dumber, and racked the slide for no reason at all. Cost me time and a round. Too used to doing emergency reloads. Training issue that I'll need to resolve during dry-fire practice.

Other dumb mistakes I made:
    1. Shooting too fast for my skills. Should have been slightly choosier about my sight pictures.
    2. Trying to shoot on the run in a stage where I had to run all the way down to the targets anyways. Should have just run down there and nailed them all point blank, it would have been faster and I would have dropped a lot fewer points.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    No, I did something even dumber, and racked the slide for no reason at all.

everything goes to crap when the buzzer goes off. did the same thing at my first el prez with a mandatory reload, dropped the old mag, stuck in the new one, and then for some unknown reason, with one in the chamber, racked the slide...

while i realize the stress of a hd/sd situation will be WAY, WAY higher than doing a match, i really think that uspsa, idpa, 3 gun, etc will give me (and other competitors) a leg up if it ever comes to that, which of course hopefully it won't.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    while i realize the stress of a hd/sd situation will be WAY, WAY higher than doing a match, i really think that uspsa, idpa, 3 gun, etc will give me (and other competitors) a leg up if it ever comes to that, which of course hopefully it won't.
    A great teacher once told me that competition wasn't combat, but combat sure was competition.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    with that type of attitude you can go far in the sport! Welcome!!!
    What I've started using is a combination of Dry Fire Par Timer on Android and the "Ben Stoeger 15m dry fire program" from the Brian Enos forums. When I consistently make the par times, I ratchet them down by .1s. Really teaches you economy of action.

I am still figuring out how I want to deal with movement practice, which I know is a big deal, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom