• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    I can still remember the 1st time I was squadded with Todd Jarret at a match. My first stage felt like it was my first stage ever.

squadded with, hell i shot a classifier side by side with him. as we walked up to the line i told him i was going to make him look REALLY good and he just laughed.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    Got the timer today. Gave it a shot with dry fire practice. Note to others, the device is defaulted to the loudest beep. I assume because you normally have hearing protection on. Scared the crap out of me.

Racinready300ex

Jun 3, 2009
    I use the pocket pro one, and put a couple layers of tape over the speaker for dry fire. Typically it ends up staying on for live fire too, because lazy

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    To revisit this topic:

How does everyone set up practice for a match. I'm lucky I have the ability to set up a course of fire or just put targets randomly around etc but I need to have drills to focus on when I go to practice. I find I set up about 4 targets and just start shooting and practicing mag changes.

Anyone recommend a curriculum to follow over say a course of 10 practice sessions?

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    To revisit this topic:

How does everyone set up practice for a match. I'm lucky I have the ability to set up a course of fire or just put targets randomly around etc but I need to have drills to focus on when I go to practice. I find I set up about 4 targets and just start shooting and practicing mag changes.

Anyone recommend a curriculum to follow over say a course of 10 practice sessions?

Check out Ben Stoeger's "Skills and Drills Reloaded"

Racinready300ex

Jun 3, 2009
    What BigT said, Ben's books are a great source of information.

The big thing is you need to know what you're working on and the find a drill to get you there. The hard part is the self diagnosis really, a plus is when you're new everything needs a lot of work. If you go to the range with out a plan it's easy to end up just shooting. Then you shoot a lot of ammo and don't really make any gains.

What do you have trouble with? Reloads? Do 4 aces in dry fire until your arm falls off. Then do some in live fire to see where you're at. Then go back to dry fire with what you learned and repeat. Get that standing load working, and start adding movement to your dry fire routine. If I'm working reloads hard, I stop when I can't lift my arms. Doesn't really take long to get to that point either.

Need to work on transitions? Try something like the Blake drill. 3 targets, 2 shots each (repeat at distances from 5 to 15 yards). Keep your splits and transitions the same. How far apart can you get the targets and keep the transitions the same? Dry fire this until your arms fall off.

See a trend?

Another note, make sure you grip the shit out of it with your support hand during dry fire. I think most guys don't grip their gun hard enough.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    squadded with, hell i shot a classifier side by side with him. as we walked up to the line i told him i was going to make him look REALLY good and he just laughed.

He ROd the 3-gun squad I was in back in 2010. On one of the stages, he managed to shoot his muzzle brake down range because he forgot to tighten it up the night before :lol: Someone ended up finding it when we went downrange to reset the stage. He's still human, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom