• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Under the letter of the law there is no start over. If one is not disqualified and denied, one is automatically "not disapproved" on the 8th day. MSPLD can send the notification whenever they want, the 8th day is THE LAW.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    So at this point,, the 8 days starts over??

Nope, 8th day is 8 days after the original application was submitted, not after MSP decides to return it for incomplete information (Not supported by state statute btw).

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    In my experience, Yes it does. It's pretty much 16 days to pickup.

Find a new FFL, 8th day means 8th day in state statute, MSP may say otherwise, but they have lost that argument in court already.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Under the letter of the law there is no start over. If one is not disqualified and denied, one is automatically "not disapproved" on the 8th day. MSPLD can send the notification whenever they want, the 8th day is THE LAW.

^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    I'm not throwing them under the bus by any stretch,, They are a great business and good guys.
    It is what it is. They are stuck between the law, and what those who enforce the law say. I sucks, because my 16th day (2nd 8th day wait) is Saturday the 25th.

Per state statute. If the FFL won't release it, find a new FFL.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I'm not throwing them under the bus by any stretch,, They are a great business and good guys.
    It is what it is. They are stuck between the law, and what those who enforce the law say. I sucks, because my 16th day (2nd 8th day wait) is Saturday the 25th.

They’re not really stuck between anything, they would be following the law not to mention the MSP lost a case on this in court. Can’t get any clearer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    Is there a link to the court case, that I can reference?

They’re not really stuck between anything, they would be following the law not to mention the MSP lost a case on this in court. Can’t get any clearer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Dblas is obviously correct as to the law , as always .

The Dealer *May* release on Day 8 , but is not Required to do so . The Dealer would have no penalty or adverse outcome for releasing on Day 8 Plus , even if the hypothetical buy was eventually DISapproved .

This is a conversation best had with the Dealer before handing $ , and starting 77R . In 2013 was was a routine conversation , but not so much lately as long as the system usually has been timely .

ArmedInMd

Jun 9, 2008
    https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organization/Licensing Division Documents/Advisory LD_FRS_13-001.pdf

I am not seeing anything about "Start overs" or "reset the clock"
    It says the dealer may release the firearm after 7 days if they have not been notified from MSP that the purchaser been placed on hold or disapproved.

Guess I'll be picking it up tomorrow?

It'll be interesting to see what you find out. I didn't understand my mistake the first time so I made it again and have had the same delayed pickup situation at two different ffl's. Please keep us updated

MDElite

Industry Partner
    Mar 16, 2011
    Here's what we received from MSP

"PS 5-118 talks about the requirement of "occupation" on the 77r application. When an application is sent back for administrative corrections, the application is considered as "not accepted"; therefore, a "day 1" has not been initiated until the application has been submitted to MSP and "accepted" (meaning we have not sent it back to you for corrections). Once an application has been received/accepted by MSP, we have seven days to complete our investigation, to make a determination the applicant is Not Disapproved. By law, a firearm can be released on the eighth day, after an application has been submitted and accepted by MSP.

Occupation is something we are currently working on to become more consistent with its definition and our ability to apply a consistent process. Utilizing its simplest Weber's definition of occupation, we so far have narrowed down some general answers that are accepted/not accepted (see below). Until a more indepth list can be crafted and disseminated to the dealers, we will continue to work on this topic in an attempt to be more consistent.

Accepted occupations: Business owner, unemployed, retired, CEO, nurse, doctor, dentist, truck driver, cook,

NOT accepted: self employed, entrepreneur, none, Government, hospital, health field, driver, military, president

If you notice the separation of the two lists, the accepted group is the "root" meaning. If you have additional questions feel free to contact us. "

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I think someone needs to forward that to their legislator to forward to the AG‘s office.

Even our current idiot AG does not like state agencies overstepping their authority.

Old Weasel

Jan 29, 2020
    Glen Burnie
    You can log into your MSP account and click on "Dashboard"and it will list all of your aplications since they went online. You can dispay and print any of them.

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    Honestly, I wont be able to make it back to the FFL till next week (work and major holiday stuff),, so I'm not pressing the issue as it makes zero difference once MSP did the "great reset" with my 77R last week.

The FFl in question are the best of the best,, I'm not going to push it with them when it makes zero difference at this point.

Oh well, all 3 kids arrive late last night/early morning,, off to baking and drinking :)

It'll be interesting to see what you find out. I didn't understand my mistake the first time so I made it again and have had the same delayed pickup situation at two different ffl's. Please keep us updated

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Well, I stand corrected. MD Code does indeed require "occupation" be listed on the application in 5-118. So this is not an FLD thing, we can thank the Firearms "Safety" Act for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom