Buying a non regulated long gun in a contiguous state?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The American

Sep 25, 2018
    Maryland
    Hi I'm going out of state to Missouri for vacation and wanted to pick up a Ruger 10\22 while in Missouri. But is it legal to buy and purchase a rifle out of state that is contiguous to MD? Or can I only buy a long gun in a adjacent state?

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Hi I'm going out of state to Missouri for vacation and wanted to pick up a Ruger 10\22 while in Missouri. But is it legal to buy and purchase a rifle out of state that is contiguous to MD? Or can I only buy a long gun in a adjacent state?

No longer the law. It only has to be legal in both states to purchase.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Great 1st post.
    Go to the introduction section and tell us about yourselves.
    Sept 2018

Eve...is that, you guys?

It's a harmless question(to me). It's what brings people here.

jstolz

Aug 28, 2018
    Glen Burnie

I am not saying your wrong, but the ATF has the MD annotated code. It mentions that "– If a resident of this State is eligible to purchase a rifle or shotgun under the laws of an adjacent state, the resident may purchase a rifle or shotgun from a federally licensed gun dealer in the
    adjacent state."

I assume this is old?

The American

Sep 25, 2018
    Maryland
    Is that true? I saw a thread a while back that said you have to be in adjacent states only to purchase a long gun. But what confused me was that there was no law that said you can't buy a long gun out a contiguous state. sorry I'm soo confused.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Is that true? I saw a thread a while back that said you have to be in adjacent states only to purchase a long gun. But what confused me was that there was no law that said you can't buy a long gun out a contiguous state. sorry I'm soo confused.

California is the only state I know of which has a law like this on the books.

Federal law says it's fine: In addition, a licensee may sell a rifle or shotgun to a person who is not a resident of the State where the licensee’s business premises is located in an over–the–counter transaction, provided the transaction complies with State law in the State where the licensee is located and in the State where the purchaser resides.

[18 U.S.C. 922(b)(3); 27 CFR 478.99(a)]

The American

Sep 25, 2018
    Maryland
    California is the only state I know of which has a law like this on the books.

Federal law says it's fine: In addition, a licensee may sell a rifle or shotgun to a person who is not a resident of the State where the licensee’s business premises is located in an over–the–counter transaction, provided the transaction complies with State law in the State where the licensee is located and in the State where the purchaser resides.

[18 U.S.C. 922(b)(3); 27 CFR 478.99(a)]
    To clarify In section 5-204 of MD code It says you can buy a long gun in a adjacent state but if buying a long gun in a contiguous state is legal why would they only say you can buy in an adjacent state? is it no longer law?

BrewDoc_MD

Piss off, ghost!
    Apr 25, 2012
    Myersville, MD
    I bought an O/U shotgun in Texas a couple christmases ago. Drove it back (in the bottom of the trunk, hiding from the wife). No problemo. But it was from an FFL. OP cannot buy from a private seller outright out of state, must go through an FFL. Fed law.

1841DNG

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2016
    I bought an O/U shotgun in Texas a couple christmases ago. Drove it back (in the bottom of the trunk, hiding from the wife). No problemo. But it was from an FFL. OP cannot buy from a private seller outright out of state, must go through an FFL. Fed law.

Wanted to mention this. No private sales without an FFL transfer if the parties are residents of different states. And I know that this question was about a 10/22, of which you can never have to many, but if anyone else finds this thread looking for an answer we are talking long guns and not handguns.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Great 1st post.
    Go to the introduction section and tell us about yourselves.
    Sept 2018

What kind of reply to his question is this? Not only that, but you make it sound like he has multiple personality disorder. "Tell us about yourselves."

Is there really a requirement that people post an intro about themselves? I never did that. This being the internet, mine would go something like this:

I am a 27 year old woman. I am a doctor, specifically a neuro-surgeon, making $650,000 a year. I live in Ellicott City and work at the University of Maryland hospital in Baltimore in the ICU. I've got a slew of NFA items, including a couple machine guns, several SBR and SBS, and suppressors for every caliber they make. I also happen to own a couple of sporting shotguns and rifles, and a slew of handguns. Big handguns for home defense and tiny ones for CCW. My daily driver is a Mustang GT350 or a F150 Raptor, and on the weekends I like stretching the Mustangs legs at the track or taking the F150 for a stroll through the woods or to the range. For elegant evenings out on the weekend, I take the Ferrari. Oh yeah, I am 5' 9", bright blue eyes, dark ebony waist length hair, 36-25-36, and I love stilettos.

Looking for some companionship at the range.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    §5–204.

(a) In this section, “adjacent state” means Delaware, Pennsylvania, Virginia, or West Virginia.

(b) If a resident of this State is eligible to purchase a rifle or shotgun under the laws of an adjacent state, the resident may purchase a rifle or shotgun from a federally licensed gun dealer in the adjacent state.

(c) If a resident of an adjacent state is eligible to purchase a rifle or shotgun under the laws of this State, the resident may purchase a rifle or shotgun from a federally licensed gun dealer in this State.

Nothing in that statute says that a person cannot purchase a rifle from Missouri. If you read through 5-201 through 5-206, there does not appear to be anything whatsoever on Maryland's books that prevents one of its citizens from buying a rifle in another state if the rifle is legal in Maryland.

OP, is there something more that worries you, because 5-204 would not worry me. If I saw a great deal on a Benelli while hunting ducks in Arkansas, I would not hesitate to buy it. Maybe just ask in the Outdoor Sports forum on here if any Maryland residents have bought a long gun from states that are not adjacent to Maryland.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    IIRC the Federal law changed so that a long gun may be purchased in a non contiguous state as long as the purchase is legal in both states .

MD statute is old IIRC

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md

Any rifle or shotgun you can buy in Maryland can also be sold to you by an FFL in any other state. The FFL in any other state may choose to not sell you a rifle or shotgun, but by law, he is allowed to sell it to you.

plinkerton

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2012
    Abingdon
    I bought a CX4 from a dealer in GA a couple years ago. I was impressed with his knowledge of Maryland law. It was at a sporting clays club, and they had a ton of shotguns, a couple handguns, and a couple CX4's and AR's in the corner. He was trying to get rid of the CX4's and AR's so he had dropped the price. I told the owner I was from Maryland and asked if he would sell me the CX4. He said he would sell me the CX4, and one of the AR's was an HBAR, did I want that too.

My girlfriend was with me, and she said my birthday was coming up so not only did I get a deal but she also paid for part of it for my birthday.
    No hiding it in the trunk for me :innocent0

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    I guess Air Rifles are not considered long guns in Illinois. I was in Wisconsin a few years ago and went to Bass Pro Shop in Illinois, looked at a few GAMO air rifles and the guy had to go in the back to get them, I looked at three. I said I'll take the third one. He had to see my drivers license (for a pellet rifle, weird) and then he said he can't sell it to me because I'm a Maryland resident. My brother said, I'll buy it then (Wisconsin Resident). He said that would be a straw purchase. So we left. I ordered it on the internet and it was delivered to my door.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom