• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    Can anyone recommend a place in the greater Columbia area to get goat meat? The guys at work want me to make curried goat. Plus my daughter wants me to make some goat at home.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Curried goat is delicious. A South African friend used to make it for me.

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    Curried goat is delicious. A South African friend used to make it for me.

Any of the Halal meat stores will have it.
    Columbia Halal meat next to Zips
    Caspian In EC behind the Burger King
    There is a place off of Red Branch road (can’t remember the name)

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    There is a Halal place (I think it is called Intl Food Market) on Town & Country Blvd in EC as well.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Glen Burnie Costco occasionally has it. 15lb boxes.

In the past, I've seen whole goats hanging (they may have been halfs) in the freezer section at Costco. Literally blew me away... was going to buy one just for the hell of it.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I have never eaten goat meat. To what other popular meat can it be compared? Lamb?

I don't know that it's similar to much else. I've had it as a spicy curry and as a Jamaican style stew. It's pretty strong so it stands up well to heavy spices and does well with slow cooking styles in my experience.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    I have never eaten goat meat. To what other popular meat can it be compared? Lamb?

Mutton. Adult sheep.

Most of the goat dishes are heavily spiced stews including pepper, curry, tomatoes. In west african cuisine, often the entire goat is chopped into cubes and it is cooked with skin and bones. All that collagen and fat makes for a very rich meal. In the middle eastern countries the meat is de-boned and the stew has more of a brown color.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Damn sounds good

Mutton. Adult sheep.

Most of the goat dishes are heavily spiced stews including pepper, curry, tomatoes. In west african cuisine, often the entire goat is chopped into cubes and it is cooked with skin and bones. All that collagen and fat makes for a very rich meal. In the middle eastern countries the meat is de-boned and the stew has more of a brown color.

Thanks for the info. All of you. Some use a lot of spice to hide the taste for some true gamey food. Like the Andrew Zimmer episode in the Appalachias for Ground Hog.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Thanks for the info. All of you. Some use a lot of spice to hide the taste for some true gamey food. Like the Andrew Zimmer episode in the Appalachias for Ground Hog.

California is making the eating of roadkill legal. You could hide anything in 'Ghana pepper stew' :-0

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    You would probably have pretty good luck going to one of the international markets right down the street from your office. I know the one right behind you used to have goat.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Just like with lamb, the strong gamey taste is more pronounced in older animals and in males. Baby goat is quite similar to lamb, but there just isn't all that much meat on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom