Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Maryland Regional Discussions > Central Maryland
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 14th, 2019, 06:24 PM #2371
ToolAA's Avatar
ToolAA ToolAA is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Ellicott City
Posts: 4,210
ToolAA ToolAA is offline
Senior Member
ToolAA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Ellicott City
Posts: 4,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by K31 View Post
If there was only a thread somewhere with a post at the beginning that answered such questions...

Good advice. Duh... I should have gone back to the beginning.
__________________
Honorable people with a good work ethic and strong character have shaped our communities and nation more so than presidents and congressmen. The crisis of character we see in our political leaders is a symptom of our nation's sickness not the cause for the disease.
ToolAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2019, 08:52 AM #2372
CrazySanMan's Avatar
CrazySanMan CrazySanMan is offline
2013'er
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Colorful Colorado
Posts: 9,942
CrazySanMan CrazySanMan is offline
2013'er
CrazySanMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Colorful Colorado
Posts: 9,942
I have a grounding question. I have a split level home and I'm building my shack in the basement. I have a table/work bench built that is right below a ground-level window and I have one of the MFJ window pass through panels in the window. I'd like to put a ground rod as close to the window as possible but the window is actually under a 5' tall deck so I can't put an 8' ground rod straight down into the ground directly in front of the window.

I see 3 different options. (1) Put an 8 or 10 foot long ground rod at an angle so I can get the impact hammer on the top of it to drive it in, (2) put a 3-4' ground rod outside the window and an 8' rod just outside of the deck (about 6' away), (3) put an 8' ground rod just outside the deck (about 6' from the window) with a heavy braid or strap running from the window panel to the ground rod. I plan to use male to female lightning arrestors on the outside of the window panel between the antenna cables and the panel.

Which is the best grounding option?

I guess I should note I am going to put a Titan DX vertical antenna in my backyard and will be installing ground rods every 8' from the window to the antenna base to ground it to the rest of my shack.
__________________
My YouTube Channel: Chicken River Offroad
CrazySanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2019, 09:35 AM #2373
Boxcab's Avatar
Boxcab Boxcab is offline
MSI EM
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: AA County
Posts: 5,751
Boxcab Boxcab is offline
MSI EM
Boxcab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: AA County
Posts: 5,751
Just a thought... with 5 feet of clearance, use a post hole digger and dig down far enough to get the g-rod vertical and then install. I put one of mine in a basement window well and was able to put it into the ground a couple of feet just using my hands. I then used mechanical persuasion to drive it the rest of the way. It helps if the ground is moist... and not frozen (noting your location).






.
__________________
Quote:
"I do find myself cursing the ghosts of the politicians and gun owners who let our 2nd Amendment rights degrade over the past century. Seven plus decades of being afraid to enthusiastically challenge any new ban against our gun rights has proven to be very foolish. Your rights will not preserve themselves; they must be pursued, secured and vigilantly maintained."
Boxcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2019, 09:40 AM #2374
CrazySanMan's Avatar
CrazySanMan CrazySanMan is offline
2013'er
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Colorful Colorado
Posts: 9,942
CrazySanMan CrazySanMan is offline
2013'er
CrazySanMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Colorful Colorado
Posts: 9,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcab View Post
Just a thought... with 5 feet of clearance, use a post hole digger and dig down far enough to get the g-rod vertical and then install. I put one of mine in a basement window well and was able to put it into the ground a couple of feet just using my hands. I then used mechanical persuasion to drive it the rest of the way. It helps if the ground is moist... and not frozen (noting your location).
.
I've thought about starting with a post hole digger but I believe the poles are about as tall as the deck. Plus, my soil is very thick bentonite clay. I have to use a mattock to dig any kind of hole, a shovel doesn't cut it after a few inches are dug.
__________________
My YouTube Channel: Chicken River Offroad
CrazySanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2019, 10:15 AM #2375
K31's Avatar
K31 K31 is offline
What fresh hell is this?
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: AA county
Posts: 26,776
Images: 14
K31 K31 is offline
What fresh hell is this?
K31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: AA county
Posts: 26,776
Images: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazySanMan View Post
I've thought about starting with a post hole digger but I believe the poles are about as tall as the deck. Plus, my soil is very thick bentonite clay. I have to use a mattock to dig any kind of hole, a shovel doesn't cut it after a few inches are dug.
I don't know if it will help with your particular type of soil but there are YouTube videos about using a DIY "water drill" to dig holes for ground rods.

I can't find the one I originally saw which was a drill to make the hole and then insert a ground rod. The ones I did find use the Cu pipe that does the drilling left in the ground as the ground rod. That probably makes a great ground rod but is also way more expensive than a Cu clad rod I'm sure.
__________________
Giving "respectful, civil gun owners a bad name" since January 15th, 2006.

My opinions are my own and not necessarily those of my employer. Which is self evident, because my opinions are so awesome!

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers

A new life awaits you on the off-world colonies!
K31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2019, 10:17 AM #2376
CrazySanMan's Avatar
CrazySanMan CrazySanMan is offline
2013'er
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Colorful Colorado
Posts: 9,942
CrazySanMan CrazySanMan is offline
2013'er
CrazySanMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Colorful Colorado
Posts: 9,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by K31 View Post
I don't know if it will help with your particular type of soil but there are YouTube videos about using a DIY "water drill" to dig holes for ground rods.

I can't find the one I originally saw which was a drill to make the hole and then insert a ground rod. The ones I did find use the Cu pipe that does the drilling left in the ground as the ground rod. That probably makes a great ground rod but is also way more expensive than a Cu clad rod I'm sure.
I've seen a few videos of the copper pipe method, but they all say thick clay soil will bend the pipe.
__________________
My YouTube Channel: Chicken River Offroad
CrazySanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2019, 11:27 AM #2377
mac1_131's Avatar
mac1_131 mac1_131 is offline
MSI Executive Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,906
mac1_131 mac1_131 is offline
MSI Executive Member
mac1_131's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazySanMan View Post
I have a grounding question. I have a split level home and I'm building my shack in the basement. I have a table/work bench built that is right below a ground-level window and I have one of the MFJ window pass through panels in the window. I'd like to put a ground rod as close to the window as possible but the window is actually under a 5' tall deck so I can't put an 8' ground rod straight down into the ground directly in front of the window.

I see 3 different options. (1) Put an 8 or 10 foot long ground rod at an angle so I can get the impact hammer on the top of it to drive it in, (2) put a 3-4' ground rod outside the window and an 8' rod just outside of the deck (about 6' away), (3) put an 8' ground rod just outside the deck (about 6' from the window) with a heavy braid or strap running from the window panel to the ground rod. I plan to use male to female lightning arrestors on the outside of the window panel between the antenna cables and the panel.

Which is the best grounding option?

I guess I should note I am going to put a Titan DX vertical antenna in my backyard and will be installing ground rods every 8' from the window to the antenna base to ground it to the rest of my shack.
Angle is fine if that's what it takes

Very important to bond it to the house ground also so you don't have two separate grounds

Pretty easy to do that

Easiest way to drive it is a hammer drill with a ground rod pounder head on it
mac1_131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2019, 11:33 PM #2378
Winged Pig's Avatar
Winged Pig Winged Pig is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Calvert County
Posts: 639
Winged Pig Winged Pig is offline
Member
Winged Pig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Calvert County
Posts: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1_131 View Post
Angle is fine if that's what it takes

Very important to bond it to the house ground also so you don't have two separate grounds

Pretty easy to do that

Easiest way to drive it is a hammer drill with a ground rod pounder head on it
Good advice.

It's not fun putting a ground rod into clay without a hammer drill. I did six with a maul as I didn't have a proper bit for my hammer drill and didn't want to wait. I figured, "how hard can it be?" Forgot how old my Grand kids are. Got reminded rather quickly, but was stubborn enough to finish. Not fun...

Don't be like me, be smart and use a hammer drill.
__________________
“ Rest satisfied with doing well, and leave others to talk of you as they please. ”
— Pythagoras

"Cogito, ergo amatum sum."
Lt. Col. David Grossman

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
H. L. Mencken
Winged Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Home Page > Forum List > Maryland Regional Discussions > Central Maryland


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 4 (1 members and 3 guests)
Engine4
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2019, Congregate Media, LP Privacy Policy Terms of Service