Any 1911 Lefties out there with holsters?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • biohazard59

Sep 11, 2013
    Perry Hall
    Hey there fellow Lefties! So here's my problem, I have my 1911 government and I've been looking for a holster for it. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any style holster for it anywhere I go. Preferably I'm looking for an outside the waistband style over the concealed inside the waistband style. Mainly why i want an OWB over an IWB is lets be honest they are quite large to be a CCW also it may or may not be used for when i go hiking/camping in other states where i would be many many many miles away from anyone else, and if by chance i would have to scare something away i wouldn't be fumbling over getting my clothes out of the way. Lastly just as a precaution within the house lets not deny it we've all had that random feeling at home that something just doesn't seem right. Any help is greatly appreciated I don't want to just order any random one online and end up not liking it.:)

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Safariland 6378, paddle or belt attachment style. 1911, left-hand.

http://store.safariland.com/mm5/mer...om/concealment/holsters/model6378.asp?return=

For the 1911 Gov't, your probably going to want a OWB, you can IWB a 1911, but it may not feel the best for you - depending on your build/size.

ETA: A big factor to consider also is a true dedicated gun belt to help spread the weight around. A normal belt is NOT going to be your friend, it will sag and the weight will be more pronounced then.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I have one of those Don Humes. Works fine enough. Little thin/small for my liking. I know a few guys at work who have used them for years with 229's and have held up well.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    I have a few Galco Royal Guard IWB leather holsters and have used the for at least 15 yrs each. They are all used with large frame autos and you can use the on your side all the way around to the small of your back. And I am a lefty myself.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Eventually, I am going to go with the Galco FLETCH holster....I like the coverage and the fact it sits very high. I just don't have the $$$ to shell out for a holster right now....I have 4 holsters as it is. I carry both right and left, so I am always checking out the used holster tables at the gun shows.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Eventually, I am going to go with the Galco FLETCH holster....I like the coverage and the fact it sits very high. I just don't have the $$$ to shell out for a holster right now....I have 4 holsters as it is. I carry both right and left, so I am always checking out the used holster tables at the gun shows.

Why do you carry both right and left?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I am right handed, but left eye dominant. I have found I can shoot with either hand. Since most "off the shelf" holsters are righty, I have had to adapt.

I prefer to shoot lefty, but I am nearly as adept with my right hand.

I find it very hard to believe that your dominant eye gives you physical motor skills making both hands manipulate, draw, trigger press and shoot equally left or right.

You do know dominate eye means a hill of beans when self defense shooting, right? If you are carrying to defend your life, stick with a strong hand every time. Swapping hands at the range is fine, but at the range, people aren't shooting back. Please don't let "off the shelf" holsters dictate your self defense practices.

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)
    I have one of these. The make them in Left Handed (I'm a lefty)

http://mtrcustomleather.com/shop/in...uct_info&cPath=1&products_id=178#.U3Fp0eZdW9w

a-5_00.jpg

biohazard59

Sep 11, 2013
    Perry Hall

Thanks everyone for your help and opinions I think I have made my decision but will definitely do that for trying to find other holsters I might like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom