• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    *IF* you are speaking of "normal" hunting distances , aka within which 95% plus of deer, etc are shot , a .308 is just fine .

IF you intend to shoot diagonally accross a 400ac field, or waaaay down the length of a power line ( and have the suitable long range shooting skills ) , a 7-08 , .260Rem , or 6.5Creed ( or several Wildcats) ( or 7x57 , or 6.5x55 ) would have advantage, with similar or less recoil than .308 .

Thanks. There's no way I'm taking a shot longer than 300 yards until I get some serious trigger time at longer distances. Will 6.5Creed or any of the necked down 308 cartridge offshoots really have noticeably less recoil?

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Thanks. There's no way I'm taking a shot longer than 300 yards until I get some serious trigger time at longer distances. Will 6.5Creed or any of the necked down 308 cartridge offshoots really have noticeably less recoil?

Lots of factors come into felt recoil. The weight of the gun, muzzle brake, better recoil pad etc...

I have a 20" .308 that has a muzzle brake and it recoils about as much as my RPR in 6.5CM with out a brake on it. The RPR is heavier that the .308 but the brake on the .308 made a noticeable difference.

I don't think a .308 recoils to harsh to make midrange shots at deer or paper to hard, even without a brake.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Felt recoil is very much a subjective thing. The cartridge is but one factor, with the weight of the rifle, the stock configuration and design, your recoil pad design or lack of same being present at all being some others. Tradeoffs.....there's that theme again. Also very much key is your shooting form, in how you're mounting and holding that rifle to your shoulder and face.

But yes, if comparing apples to apples, same weight and design etc., you're generally looking at a reduction of recoil energy with the necked down 6.5 and 7mm .308 Winchester parent case or cousin case variants on the order of a 20 to 30% reduction vs. .308 Winchester.

The differences in perceived recoil typically aren't very apparent with deer hunting. They do become apparent and significant when firing multiple rounds off the bench.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    Now you've done it. Opened it up to a caliber discussion, eh? .300 win mag!

Which is totally unnecessary for whitetails.
    I hunted whitetails for 25+ years with a 30-06 and Rem PSPCL 150/180 grain. My wife used a Win .243 Rem also in PSPCL, 100 gr.

What I never knew however, was just how powerful the 30-06 really was until I took it to Africa to hunt plains game. How could I know the depth of the 30-06's ability unless I tried it on other species?

My first African kill was with that 30-06: a large #500+lb bull Burchell's Zebra. Our guide told us 30-06 is plenty for much larger African plains game.
    .308 is comparable to the 30-06 so I'd say go for it; it's just fine for whitetails and larger.

Now if you're hedging one rifle for larger game or greater distances then get a 300 Win Mag.

Heck I have both. :D

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    To reinforce what Duke said -

Everything else equal , the necked down .308 variants can be 20-30% less.

But everything else is seldom equal . Percieved recoil is highly subjective.Gun weight can be measured , but stock design and fit are personal . These factors in total can be larger than the calculated difference between those cals.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Ok, thanks again, everyone.

I'm 99% decided on the cheapest option that'll whack Bambi, then saving for a bench rifle. Ruger American seems to get an equal number of votes as Savage or Tikka, but is much less expensive.

It's going to wear a vortex 3x9 that's collecting dust in the basement. I'll report back around Thanksgiving if it works.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Which is totally unnecessary for whitetails.
    I hunted whitetails for 25+ years with a 30-06 and Rem PSPCL 150/180 grain. My wife used a Win .243 Rem also in PSPCL, 100 gr.

What I never knew however, was just how powerful the 30-06 really was until I took it to Africa to hunt plains game. How could I know the depth of the 30-06's ability unless I tried it on other species?

My first African kill was with that 30-06: a large #500+lb bull Burchell's Zebra. Our guide told us 30-06 is plenty for much larger African plains game.
    .308 is comparable to the 30-06 so I'd say go for it; it's just fine for whitetails and larger.

Now if you're hedging one rifle for larger game or greater distances then get a 300 Win Mag.

Heck I have both. :D

I've read the 30-06 referred to as the unidentified magnum more than once.

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    I'm a big fan of the 7mm mag. Way back when I was looking for a bolt gun, I had my heart set on a 270. Then as I started looking into ballistics and down range energy it was immediately apparent that the 7mm was up to the task for anything that roams this hemisphere. I settled on a Remington 700 and once I found ammo it liked it has put 2 1/2 in groups @ 300 yards. Some folks say the 7 recoils to much but it's really not that bad and I never notice recoil when letting one fly on a live animal. Some say that the 7mm Mag or the 300 Win Mag is too much on deer sized game. I say you can never have too much horse power. Never need to track one when they get hit with the old 7. I currently have one of the T/C Compass in 6.5 Creedmoor on backorder. I am intrigued at the long range performance of the 6.5 CM. We will see how it does for such an inexpensive rifle.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yeah, I hear you guys about 7mm &.300mags, etc. But the OP had a soft-ish parameter on recoil, and didn't mention Elk , so I brought up .308 capacity-ish mid bores .

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    Ok, thanks again, everyone.

I'm 99% decided on the cheapest option that'll whack Bambi, then saving for a bench rifle. Ruger American seems to get an equal number of votes as Savage or Tikka, but is much less expensive.

It's going to wear a vortex 3x9 that's collecting dust in the basement. I'll report back around Thanksgiving if it works.

you won't regret that decision...

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Thanks everyone. Ordered a Ruger American predator this afternoon.

Fwiw, I may have a chance at an elk hunt down the road, but there's no reason a trip like that should affect my choice here. I can always buy another rifle later.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    The 6.5's are more than capable of taking down larger game, proper bullet selection and shot placement.

Lot's of large critters all over Europe and elsewhere met their end from 6.5 Swede's and Mannlicher's.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Deer and targets, easy new choice for those in Md. Ruger American in 7.62x39. Takes Mini 30 mags in 10 and 20 round, and comes with a 5 Rd.

Powerful and accurate enough for deer to 250 yds or so, and cheap ammo for plinking. One is on my very short list.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    Ruger American predator 308 or 6.5creedmoore. You can get the rifle and a nice piece of glass for under a grand.

This. There are plenty of videos of people taking these out of the box and with just a good optic, shooting out to 1,000 yards. I just got one in Creedmoor and all I plan to do with it is open the barrel channel a tad with some sandpaper.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Deer and targets, easy new choice for those in Md. Ruger American in 7.62x39. Takes Mini 30 mags in 10 and 20 round, and comes with a 5 Rd.

Powerful and accurate enough for deer to 250 yds or so, and cheap ammo for plinking. One is on my very short list.

CZ makes a dandy 7.62X39 bolt gun, but it does not take mini-30 mags.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom