• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    Dirtier, can't be reloaded, bimetal jacket usually can cause damage to steel Target, spark ingiting powder residue, or damage backstops

MAY CAUSE PREMATURE BARREL WEAR
    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

This ^^^

Emphasis on DIRTY. Really dirty..:tdown:

A friend, who tells me he's a multi-millionaire, and I've no reason to doubt it, shoots this crap for the sole reason (that I am aware of) that it's cheaper.

Go figure..??

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Dirtier, can't be reloaded, bimetal jacket usually can cause damage to steel Target, spark ingiting powder residue, or damage backstops

It CAN be reloaded.

Steel case does not mean steel in the bullet.

Steel case does not wear barrel.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    personally i don't put anything inside my guns that is as hard as or harder than the gun's components.

Steel can be very soft. Or it can be very hard.

Steel used in cases is soft. Steel used in barrels (chamber) is much harder.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    It CAN be reloaded.

Reloading steel cases...?? Yes, it's "possible", but do you know anyone who actually reloads berdan primed steel cases..?? If so, give me their contact info, I have a bridge i'd like to sell them..:D

What part of "bi-metal jacket" did you not understand..?? The bullet jacket is mild steel with a very thin copper coating, everyone knows that, well, most everyone, except you apparently.

"Steel cases don't wear the barrel"... well, at least you got something right...:sad20:

And never heard of them damaging steel targets. Logic would suggest if that were the case then outdoor ranges with steel targets would ban them too, which, as far as I know, none do. It's all about concern for the rubber? backstops indoor ranges use.

AGC (one of the largest, if not the largest outdoor range in Maryland) doesn't allow any bullet jacket that will attract a magnet for use on steel targets at their public ranges, and that includes all the cheap "bi-metal" jacketed stuff.

And the steel jacketed projectiles do pit steel targets, considerably more so than copper jackets.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I have only had an issue with steel in Beretta 92 magazines. They wouldn't feed as the staggering of the rounds was a bit extreme for that mag and they galled against each other. No other issues which I have had personally with it.

I like it when I'm shooting in a place where I know I'll lose my brass or when it's silly cheap.

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    AGC (one of the largest, if not the largest outdoor range in Maryland) doesn't allow any bullet jacket that will attract a magnet for use on steel targets at their public ranges, and that includes all the cheap "bi-metal" jacketed stuff.

Now I know

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    It CAN be reloaded.

I inadverantly reloaded a Russian 45 ACP case. Caught it during post loading inspection and wipe down. Fired fine but I am not advocating the practice of such.

There seems to be a correlation between steel cases and bullet construction developing. As pinecone pointed out, steel case does not correlate to bullet construction for all makers. Nor burn characteristics.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA

I inadverantly reloaded a Russian 45 ACP case. Caught it during post loading inspection and wipe down. Fired fine but I am not advocating the practice of such.

There seems to be a correlation between steel cases and bullet construction developing. As pinecone pointed out, steel case does not correlate to bullet construction for all makers. Nor burn characteristics.

That's just the Russians, and everyone who got their technology. Even their military ammo is by default bimetal jacket (usually with a steel core). Bimetal jacketing is a lot cheaper than gilding metal. That's how they use plentiful steel and very little copper and lead in their ammo. It's our import restrictions that make them use lead core in their commercial ammo. They do make some gilding metal jacketed ammo for commercial sale too for people who want steel free projectiles.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV

Perhaps not for all makers all the time, but it does correlate for the overwhelming majority of the cheap imported steel cased stuff like Tula, Wolf, Silver Bear, etc., the vast majority of which utilize the bi-metal (mild steel with a very thin copper plating) jacket. The only thing this stuff has going for it IMHO is slightly less cost, it's essentially worthless (though technically possible) for reloading, and I doubt it's worth much if anything even as scrap.

As for the burn characteristics, I read an article once that explained why the cheap berdan primed steel cased imported ammo tends to burn much dirtier. It seems that the Russians, who account for the bulk of this stuff, use a certain amount of clay as a binder in their smokeless powder formulations, and that apparently leads to a lot of black soot and carbon residue left behind after firing. This may not be that big of a deal for most handguns, and for the AK pattern rifles that have a gas port the size of China, but for semi auto rifles like the AR it's a real mess to clean up.

AACo

Tiny Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 11, 2015
    Westminster
    When I buy/shoot steel case ammunition, I like to buy the Wolf Copper Jacket. Sometimes hard to find, but don’t have to worry about the bi-metal issues (wear, range restrictions, etc.).

Haven’t had any issues with steel so far. If I do, like any other tool, I will just repair or replace.

Attachments

• BA819A8D-AEDB-425D-8712-7CD5D1468312.jpg
      BA819A8D-AEDB-425D-8712-7CD5D1468312.jpg
      50.5 KB · Views: 136

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Depends on the manufacturer of the "Bullet" per the bimetal not the CASE.
    Reloadable depending on primer type...Berdan or Boxer.

Steel Case doesn't hurt barrel...TMK

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Steel is fine. I shoot it whenever I can because it's cheap. Just don't rely on it for actual self defense due to it being more likely to malfunction. For practice, it's great.

I only shoot brass cased ammunition when I have to go to the indoor range. It's stupid because they won't allow aluminum cased either, even with a lead projectile. Yet you are allowed to use steel in your AK because it was "designed for it."

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Reloading steel cases...?? Yes, it's "possible", but do you know anyone who actually reloads berdan primed steel cases..?? If so, give me their contact info, I have a bridge i'd like to sell them..:D

What part of "bi-metal jacket" did you not understand..?? The bullet jacket is mild steel with a very thin copper coating, everyone knows that, well, most everyone, except you apparently.

There are steel cased ammo that do not have bi-metal bullet jackets.

Steel cased, means the CASE is steel. It does not tell you about the bullet.

I don't know of anyone personally that reloads it, but it can and is reloaded. So your statement that it CAN NOT be reloaded, is incorrect.

http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2013/02/14/reloading-steel-cases-reload-steel-case-ammo/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1-fRPmd7FE

https://www.fieldandstream.com/answ...been-reloading-223-steel-casings-i-pick-range

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=535411

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Steel is fine. I shoot it whenever I can because it's cheap. Just don't rely on it for actual self defense due to it being more likely to malfunction. For practice, it's great.

I only shoot brass cased ammunition when I have to go to the indoor range. It's stupid because they won't allow aluminum cased either, even with a lead projectile. Yet you are allowed to use steel in your AK because it was "designed for it."

I've been allowed to shoot aluminum case stuff at a couple indoor ranges but never steel because of the aforementioned spark on yhe concrete hazard.

Last edited:

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    I agree that most Com-bloc guns gobble it up. Like most things, some guns can be finicky... you just need to figure out what they like to eat. I've never had a problem with steel cases in any of my long-guns... handguns can sometimes be a different story, but even there I've got 2 or 3 that actually prefer steel cased ammo. Just burned through 5 boxes of steel cased .303 British this morning for my after-breakfast shoot. No problems at all. Cost savings was considerable over brass stuff, and since it is a caliber that I don't reload (yet), there you go.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Who cares if it causes malfunctions? More practice. It's not something you use for self defense.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    yes, steel case is a different animal from steel core bullets. though some ammo may have both. but think like hornady steel match, which is steel case but 'normal' fmj/lead bullets. personally i don't put anything inside my guns that is as hard as or harder than the gun's components.

This is also why I don't use steel cases...

It's a metallurgical issue...

Brass is soft & won't damage your chamber...

3rd world steel = no such guarantee...

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I work part time for a gunsmith. When an AR comes in with feeding or extraction issues, there are a series of questions we usually ask. One question asked is about steel cased. There are sometimes carbon buildups in the chamber. Some believe that it is the 'poly coating' or lacquer coating common to this ammo. Scott believes it is, at least in part, caused by the steel case not expanding to create as good a seal as brass thus allowing carbon to build up in the chamber. A really good cleaning of the chamber often fixes the issue....for some number of rounds before it recurs. In his opinion, use brass for ARs and steel for AKs and you'll be fine.

That brings up other questions regarding steel cased for reloading. Apart from the issue with Berdan primers, can the stuff even be reloaded? I've heard it could. I am a long time reloader but don't remember ever reading anything about resizing issues although I've browse some instructions on occasion about replacing Berdan primers. I would presume that resizing wouldn't be a problem if loading and firing through the same firearm, but even in that case (pardon the pun), what about resizing the neck? Or perhaps steel doesn't expand like brass? I have no knowledge of issues regarding potential reloading of steel cased other than the Berdan priming. I would also guess that steel could be hard on reloading dies and, of course, the poly and lacquer coatings are not just for lubricity, but also a corrosion preventative which would make reloads more prone to corrosion. Can anyone give me some enlightenment?

I also developed a personal prejudice from decades ago (yeah, I'm a fairly old guy) when much steel cased milsurp that might be encountered was corrosive. Conventional wisdom of the time (80's) was that even some of the milsurp marked noncorrosive was indeed mildly corrosive. I don't really know if it was actually true or not regarding the non-corrosive marked milsurp, but it certainly affected my choices in ammo. The only steel case ammo I have ever shot was out of my SKS's. For those rifles I have fired both Tula and Wolf. I do have some steel Silver Bear .223 to shoot from a Zastava M90np. but haven't fired it yet.

The problem some ranges have with steel cased is, as mentioned, the bimetal bullets that most steel cased ammo has. I think that since they simply use the magnet attraction test as a quick test and to avoid potential issues, if any part of the cartridge is attracted, they 'play it safe' and ban the ammo. That way no pissin' matches arguing with a customer over bimetal vs copper jacketed bullets. Their ranges, their rules. And, to be fair, damage to their backstops and / or steel targets can be costly whether it is immediate damage or just creating excessive wear and tear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom