SB0281 - Firearm Safety Act of 2013 (aka, AWB)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Billman

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?
    May 18, 2010
    Sykesville, MD
    Look, the point I'm trying to make is that people think leos would just be able to belly up into a gun shop, flash creds and buy whatever they want for any reason, personal or duty and walk out with it.
    I'm not arguing a point whether a person thinks cops shouldn't have AR's and hi cap mags or not for duty.
    All I'm saying is in my 17 years, i have never been afforded the pleasure of purchasing a banned item for personal, non duty use that a non leo couldn't purchase.
    I think everyone should be able to own anything they want.

Sent from my phone from somewhere in the world.

The rest of us understad your point, he will too once the coffee kicks in too.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    Here's my letter:

Dear Delegate,

I recently became aware of SB 281, the Firearms Safety Act of 2013. I respectfully ask that you vote against SB 281.

As a law abiding gun owner, I don't understand why my rights and liberties should be restricted when the acts of a few, deranged individuals are the ones to blame for our violence problems. I wholeheartedly support mental health reform, but wish that our constitutional rights remain intact, as our Founding Fathers have expressed in the Constitution.

"Assault Rifles" are not used in many crimes. In fact, last year only three (3) of Maryland's 400+ murders were committed with rifles and zero (0) were committed with "assault rifles." Further, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms concluded that the 1994 federal assault weapons ban had "little to no effect on violence or crime." I encourage you to read the following website for more information as to what exactly an "assault rifle" is and is not: www.assaultrifle.info.

Firearms are not the cause of our society's gun violence. We must look to the root of the problem and find out why individuals commit heinous acts, such as Sandy Hook Elementary (where a child murdered his mother for trying to have him committed to a mental institution and continued on to kill innocent children). As a father, I want to protect my children and by focusing on firearms rather than mental health issues, those with mental illness will still be free on our streets wishing to do harm.

Again, I ask that you vote against SB 281 and for mental health reform.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    This is a Maryland-specific bill, and we only have a 90-day session. Not sure that would fly here.
    Correct. The more relevant date is "what's the earliest day they can vote on it?" I thought it was February 8th, but you'd know better than me.

The rest of us understand your point, he will too once the coffee kicks in too.
    I think anyone who really expects LEOs to get a Cali-style exemption is smoking something. The governor's summary of the bill mentioned no such thing, and you better believe he would have talked that up in order to get more police support.

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    I would be wary of emailing or calling representatives concerning SB 281. We all know this is probably "the bill" but you cannot really email a rep and say "I do not support SB 281" until we actually know what the text is.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    We are on the front lines for a battle of the war on our Civil rights. This is one we must win. If it falls here then Virginia will be the next line, on and on until the war is lost. Lets turn the tide on this, keep the pressure up on phone lines and emails so they can't ignore us. Our founder's country is at stake.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    FYI, this is not THE bill.

According to his office, MOM will be releasing his own comprehensive bill this week or next.
    This is sponsored by MOM and his gun-grabbing buddies Frosh and Raskin, and that title sure as hell looks comprehensive. I think his office may be confused about what's going down.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    Look, the point I'm trying to make is that people think leos would just be able to belly up into a gun shop, flash creds and buy whatever they want for any reason, personal or duty and walk out with it.
    I'm not arguing a point whether a person thinks cops shouldn't have AR's and hi cap mags or not for duty.
    All I'm saying is in my 17 years, i have never been afforded the pleasure of purchasing a banned item for personal, non duty use that a non leo couldn't purchase.
    I think everyone should be able to own anything they want.

Sent from my phone from somewhere in the world.

I am not trying to start an argument. I believe that our Leo's should be allowed whatever it takes to come home alive(PERIOD). I was thinking the exception was for LEO's DUTY USE personally owned firearm.
    Thanks for your service.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Correct. The more relevant date is "what's the earliest day they can vote on it?" I thought it was February 8th, but you'd know better than me.

First, it will need to be read in the SJPC. Next, the chairman will schedule a public hearing (second reading) on the bill. This is where we show up and submit our oral/written testimony. By "we," I mean all of us, not just MSI. :)

After that, if the chairman is so inclined, he'll schedule a vote on the bill. If it passes in whatever form (amendments are possible at any time), it goes to the Senate floor for a full vote. Dates aren't specific yet and will remain fluid outside of the scheduled public hearing. This is why it is important to hammer them thoroughly and consistently. Let them know that we won't tolerate this and there will be hell to pay if people have to go on record as supporting heinous gun control measures.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD

According to his office, MOM will be releasing his own comprehensive bill this week or next.

The President (By Request - Administration) and Senators Benson, Conway, Currie, Ferguson, Forehand, Frosh, Kelley, King, Madaleno, Manno, Montgomery, Peters, Pinsky, Ramirez, Raskin, Robey, Rosapepe, Young, and Zirkin
    Additional Facts: Bill File Type: Regular
    Effective Date(s): October 1, 2013
    By Request of the Governor

by request of the governor

this sure sounds like "the bill"

LCPIWB

Needs an avatar
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 17, 2011
    Underneath the blimp, Md.
    I would be wary of emailing or calling representatives concerning SB 281. We all know this is probably "the bill" but you cannot really email a rep and say "I do not support SB 281" until we actually know what the text is.

I would say follow the status of the bills closely. Do not cry wolf too early.
    Many bills do not make it out of committee. I think gun bills would go through the Judiciary committee, someone correct me if wrong. Therefore your efforts are better spent emailing, and calling those in the Judiciary committee to see that bills to not make it out of committee. No need to bother your reps with bills they may never see come to vote. You can let them know your general status on gun issues, so they can have a feel for their constituents..You can also bug them with bills, you do want to see come for a vote, like carry, and encourage them to bug committee members to bring those bills up for vote.

HollowPoint

Aged Member
    Sep 13, 2011
    Inside the Outside
    Any idea of when they will release the complete text of this bill?

Already sounds like a :tdown: in my opinion .... not that that matters to these ___fill in the blank ___.

Maybe dumb question but exactly Who are the reps on the judiciary committee? So we can begin mailing/calling them.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Any idea of when they will release the complete text of this bill?
    Today or tomorrow, almost certainly. This one was submitted on the 18th, so I'm teensy bit surprised it's not already up.

You can see what sections it modifies, though... keen-eyed observers will notice the first oversight immediately. :)

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    Montgomery is my State Senator. She emailed me a personal response last night to my "oppose O'Malley gun ban" email. She said she hadn't yet seen the Governor's gun ban bill as of last night. But I see she is a cosponsor of this one.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Rangeman

Mar 1, 2011
    Montgomery Co.
    Ladies and gents, welcome to the main event. This is the bill Governor O'Malley told us about, and we need to fight it.

No text yet, but you can get the summary here:
    http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frmMain.aspx?pid=billpage&tab=subject3&id=sb0281&stab=01&ys=2013RS

It's not obvious whether this one includes its own mag cap limit yet, as we don't have the text. Effective date is October 1, 2013, if it passes. There is a big hint that grandfathering is in (as previously mentioned by MOM) - see the italicized text - but nothing certain yet.

I would recommend waiting for the text of the bill before emailing the senators who are 1) in the judicial committee and 2) sponsoring this bill. We want them to see well-crafted arguments about specifics of the bill, and that is hard to do without the text of the bill. As always, listen to MSI for instructions.

This is pretty clear to me: we are not "specified exceptions", no possessing, selling, buying, transferring, receiving....this sounds like a step to confiscation :mad54:

Mr H

Banana'd
    Once we get the full text, I'll send off another volley.

But I WILL make sure to mention that it is becoming increasingly apparent that the Governor, as well as the Leadership in the GA, are actively and idealogically opposed to the Natural and Constitutional rights of all Marylanders.

The people of the state are becoming more--and better--informed of this, and will vocally resist, show up at the GA, and spread the word further.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Montgomery is my State Senator. She emailed me a personal response last night to my "oppose O'Malley gun ban" email. She said she hadn't yet seen the Governor's gun ban bill as of last night. But I see she is a cosponsor of this one.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

I notice that DeGrange is not a co-sponsor. This is a good sign.

Zirkin, on the other hand......

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom