• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Snopes is using this as a means of drawing people to their site... The list dates back as far as 2011/2012 and the rating is at 50/50 true/false.

yellowfin

Pro 2A Gastronome
    Jul 30, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    SS does need to be phased out. 57 and above get it, below say 45 everyone gets the choice to opt out and invest in IRA/401k what would be taxed. If it's about getting your money you put in then you don't need mine.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    So how do you deal with possibly 25 - 30 years of contributions by someone who is 45?

Only way you could do it, but it would have to anyone with it now, gets it, and if they have not yet started working they don't.

But the problem is, people do NOT save for retirement, especially when they are young. So to end SS, 60 - 70 years from now, you get a lot of people who have no retirement.

CrueChief

Cocker Dad/RIP Bella
    Apr 3, 2009
    Napolis-ish
    So how do you deal with possibly 25 - 30 years of contributions by someone who is 45?

Only way you could do it, but it would have to anyone with it now, gets it, and if they have not yet started working they don't.

But the problem is, people do NOT save for retirement, especially when they are young. So to end SS, 60 - 70 years from now, you get a lot of people who have no retirement.

One way to put this into the minds of young people might be to teach "responsibility" in high school, to include financial and self. This could be instead of liberal indoctrination. :innocent0

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

1) It's not the government's job to save for people's retirement.
    2) its completely unconstitutional
    3) the rate of return on SS is negative when you factor in cost of living, inflation, etc.
    4) it was never meant to be a sole source of retirement
    It should be phased out and scrapped entirely, but my guess is that it will never happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    No, it was not intended to be a sole source of retirement, but to supplement low retirements. And it came about due to people not having a livable retirement

And unfortunately, due to SS, many retirement plans do not pay anywhere close to a living retirement.

And if you do away with it, and people do not save well, then what do you do? Put them on welfare?

I am not a fan of SS, but it is too ingrained to just cut it off.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    They worked until they keeled over, lived with relatives, or last resort the county poor farm.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    zero out the pack of liberal jackals at CPB. Let them compete like everyone else. The free ride at the taxpayer teat needs to stop immediately.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    How about if we keep SS, ALL politicians in every capacity(including the President), does not receive their wage at the time of retirement up until their death. They should not be exempted from participating in it(just as they currently are with Obamacare). Once a politician is finished in office, they should revert back to living just as every day normal citizens instead of having life long perks and living off of the tax payers $.

NatBoh

Ultimate Member
    Jan 4, 2012
    Baltimore
    I'm 49 and will gladly give up my SS if that's the cost of ending this massive black hole of entitlements that frankly, we can't afford.

Not government's role to steal my money, misuse it, then MAYBE give it back to me in 20 more years.

It's MY job to provide for a living, and MY job to provide for retirement.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    How about if we keep SS, ALL politicians in every capacity(including the President), does not receive their wage at the time of retirement up until their death. They should not be exempted from participating in it(just as they currently are with Obamacare). Once a politician is finished in office, they should revert back to living just as every day normal citizens instead of having life long perks and living off of the tax payers $.

They get the same retirement as other government workers.

And Congress members need to be re-elected twice to become vested and getting any retirement.

And if they take their retirement early, they have the same hit on the payments (5% per year younger than 62). So many may serve, then not really e able to collect until 62.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Again, if people actually did that, it would be great.

But they do not, so they get old, and have NO retirement, so what then? GIVE them welfare?

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central

But they do not, so they get old, and have NO retirement, so what then? GIVE them welfare?

What did they do prior to SS? What do they do in other countries without it?

If you are to dumb to save for your retirement because folks aren't dying at 55 anymore then that is on you or it will be on your family.

Why should I have to save for my retirement and pay for both of my neighbors just because they happen to be 65 years old? Doesn't make sense to me.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD

It is the law of un-intended consequences. People don't save, because the think SS will cover their retirement. If SS wasn't there they would save more.

I also would give up my benefits, if they removed the tax from retirement accounts. I just don't see it happening.

Maybe they could offer it up as a way to save the program.

1. All new births from X date no longer get SS benefits.
    2. All existing workers have an option to opt out, but must still pay into the system.
    3. Anyone who opts out, will not be taxed under any retirement plan, IRA, 401K, or company sponsored pension. Taxable investments remain exactly that....

Someone call Ryan, I have it all figured out! :party29:

lonzo

Dec 8, 2015
    Moco
    What is missing in this discussion is the fact that SS has become more than what it should. Did you know that green card holders, kids and the disable gets it. Its the "other groups" that has taken away from the funds. They want to blame "people are living longer" excuse, but will not tell you that they added more groups that haven't paid into it that gets those funds. kick the "other groups" out of SS before anything else

NatBoh

Ultimate Member
    Jan 4, 2012
    Baltimore

No welfare. If you fail to plan and save for retirement years, then that's on you. Not yours and my job to provide for those, that instead of budgeting properly throughout their lives so as to have sufficient savings to retire on, instead live above their means and piss away all of their money.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Social Security is the world's largest Ponzi scheme. It works OK when you have 3 people contributing for every person receiving payments. When it's the opposite situation you have big problems.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Federal money is disbursed to Public Broadcasters through the Corporation for Public Broadcasting.
    It's 445.5 million too much.

Attachments

• cpb.jpg
      cpb.jpg
      32 KB · Views: 444
    • FY2014-Operating-Budget.pdf
      195.5 KB · Views: 3,985

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member