• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    Where in the law do I find that condition codified?

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2017rs/statute_google/gcr/4-301.pdf

(ii) a semiautomatic centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with
    the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds;

It specifically does NOT denote a caliber. Only that the magazine would accept more than 10 rounds. In .50 Beowulf, it COULD not accept more than 10 rounds. In 5.56mm, it COULD accept more than 10 rounds which would make it illegal.

There are some fires not worth playing with.

EDIT:

And if you need it to not say fixed magazines (thanks SB281) you can find it here:

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/f...on=4-305&ext=html&session=2015RS&tab=subject5

Criminal Code 4-305 and 4-306 outline it pretty well.

"A person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than 10 rounds of ammunition for a firearm."

Last edited:

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    I was looking at the same thing recently. I will be buying a magazine for my .358 Yeti project which uses cut down .308 cartridges in an AR-15. I think the most common solution uses a .450 Bushmaster mag with the feed lip geometry adjusted, but the 9-round .450 mag is just a 20-round steel AR-15 with a different follower?

I was just gonna grab one out of state

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Just beware of the law as pertains to 'magazine adjustments' within the state of Md.

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017

Interesting.

So is a rebuild kit (fancy name for a disassembled magazine) legal to transfer in Md ?

Which would mean that one could disassemble any "high capacity" mag and transfer/sell in Md legally ?

Even if that is a legitimate "loophole"....... like people say on here over and over again, I don't think I really want to risk my money/2a rights/freedom to be the subject of a test case

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Magazine capacity restriction loophole?

It should be mentioned that this thread is searchable in google and entirely public.

Caveat Emptor.

async

May 5, 2013
    Interesting.

So is a rebuild kit (fancy name for a disassembled magazine) legal to transfer in Md ?

Which would mean that one could disassemble any "high capacity" mag and transfer/sell in Md legally ?

Even if that is a legitimate "loophole"....... like people say on here over and over again, I don't think I really want to risk my money/2a rights/freedom to be the subject of a test case

I believe you can do that assuming the high cap was bought out of state, you just couldn't manufacture it back into a high cap magazine.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    A wise old owl sat in an oak
    The more he saw, the less he spoke
    The less he spoke, the more he heard
    Why can't we all be like that wise old bird

Those birds seem to be in short supply around here at times. Bordering on endangered.
    Must be Trump's fault.

async

May 5, 2013
    http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2017rs/statute_google/gcr/4-301.pdf

(ii) a semiautomatic centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with
    the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds;

It specifically does NOT denote a caliber. Only that the magazine would accept more than 10 rounds. In .50 Beowulf, it COULD not accept more than 10 rounds. In 5.56mm, it COULD accept more than 10 rounds which would make it illegal.

There are some fires not worth playing with.

EDIT:

And if you need it to not say fixed magazines (thanks SB281) you can find it here:

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/f...on=4-305&ext=html&session=2015RS&tab=subject5

Criminal Code 4-305 and 4-306 outline it pretty well.

"A person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than 10 rounds of ammunition for a firearm."

Nice edit. Asking a question is now thinking of doing something stupid?

Consider this hypothetical: magpul comes out with new pmag, no change to internals or externals, but instead of 30x 5.56 stamped on the side, it's now stamped 10x .50 Beowulf and marketed as a ten round mag. Under Maryland law is that a high capacity magazine or not?

For all of your snarky posts, you still have not answered that question.

ComeGet

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2015
    Nice edit...

Hm. Interesting jab considering the edit made to the OP. And not sure if this is an anti trolling or just cluelessness, based on the story changing as the thread grew.

Also, why poke the bear when it's extremely easy to legally obtain and own normal-capacity magazines with a relatively short drive that can be turned into a nice day trip?

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I'm not sure I understand what is to be gained by having this discussion, hypothetical or otherwise. ???
    It's magazine/manhood contest..

"My magazine holds more ammo!!"

And let's not forget..

"Hold my beer and watch this.. "

(Pulls out a belt feed firearm).

eurocarnut

Jul 28, 2010
    "You're not allowed to ask the government questions"

Thanks for the tip.

The government has already told you what it wants to make illegal or restricted. If it's not on the list you're good to go. Why do you think people were so damn afraid to shoulder pistol braces for a period of time? Some genius wrote the ATF asking for an opinion.

As far as I'm concerned there are no "loopholes." It is either legal or it is not.

r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    Nice edit. Asking a question is now thinking of doing something stupid?

Consider this hypothetical: magpul comes out with new pmag, no change to internals or externals, but instead of 30x 5.56 stamped on the side, it's now stamped 10x .50 Beowulf and marketed as a ten round mag. Under Maryland law is that a high capacity magazine or not?

For all of your snarky posts, you still have not answered that question.
    Yes. It is legal to buy a 10 round magazine of any caliber in Maryland.
    On the plus side my edit was for more information, not a rephrasing to hide my original intentions. Which haven't changed for me. To keep you from doing something illegal and stupid.

Not calling YOU stupid (obviously if you suffer from reading comprehension) but definitely calling the potential action you could take based on the answer you receive to your original question stupid. (see my post above with the quote that has your original post.)

I think it might be time to unsubscribe from this post. :sad20:

It's magazine/manhood contest..

"My magazine holds more ammo!!"

And let's not forget..

"Hold my beer and watch this.. "

(Pulls out a belt feed firearm).

Yeah well your magazine has a nasty crook in it!

DevinRPD

May 3, 2017
    Talbot
    Interesting.

it is what you make it ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom