• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    A penalty was suggested when the amendment was made, but never made it into the verbiage of the actual amendment that was brought and approved. Many such laws that the State of Maryland is supposed to follow, have absolutely no penalty if the State fails to do so.

So, what would be the basis for any penalty if it is found that the law was violated? Also, does the law say it is illegal for the state to release the info or anyone? Could the OP be in hot water if he sent the file to anyone?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    So, what would be the basis for any penalty if it is found that the law was violated? Also, does the law say it is illegal for the state to release the info or anyone? Could the OP be in hot water if he sent the file to anyone?

IANAL so I don't know all of the answers.

Currently there is no basis for a penalty other than the court saying "Don't do that again" and someone potentially losing their job.

No, it does not state it is illegal (That was recommended in writing the amendment, but stricken on the final writing)

No clue on the OP

Here is the law:

§ 4-325. Firearm and handgun records

(a) In general. -- Except as provided in subsections (b) and (c) of this section, a custodian shall deny inspection of all records of a person authorized to:

(1) sell, purchase, rent, or transfer a regulated firearm under Title 5, Subtitle 1 of the Public Safety Article; or

(2) carry, wear, or transport a handgun under Title 5, Subtitle 3 of the Public Safety Article.

(b) Required inspections. -- A custodian shall allow inspection of firearm or handgun records by:

(1) the individual named in the record; or

(2) the attorney of record of the individual named in the record.

(c) Construction of section. -- This section may not be construed to prohibit the Department of State Police or the Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services from accessing firearm or handgun records in the performance of that department's official duty.

HISTORY: An. Code 1957, art. SG, § 10-616(v); 2014, ch. 94, § 2.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    I will conform to their requests, however, the summary of statistics will still be up.

Ask them to provide you with a "good & substantial" reason. Then, after you receive it, ask them to interview with you in person, at least 90 minutes from wherever they work. At the interview, ask for four references and a letter of endorsement from their immediate supervisor. If necessary, send them a shortage letter.

Wait until the 90th business day then provide a reply, but not before.

Whatever you do, don't lose their file, or wait until February of 2018 to respond.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Is now a good time to apply given the stats? I own my business as well as my parents owning one ... cash involved! cheapest place for class?
    I have not read an HPRB thread this year and have less stress because of this.

Owning a business has always been considered "good & substantial" under the current scheme.

IMHO, if you make deposits, criminals don't know if they are large, or small, negotiable instruments or cash.

The whole scheme is a contrived workaround to perpetuate racist laws, as you can't use deadly force to protect property.

Finally, I would suggest you don't search out the cheapest classes. Find a knowledgeable instructor for mandatory training, practice regularly (including IDPA or IPSIC) and think of continued training and legal knowledge as a journey - not a destination.

Bigfoot21075

Ultimate Member
    Nov 3, 2008
    Elkridge, MD
    Ask them to provide you with a "good & substantial" reason. Then, after you receive it, ask them to interview with you in person, at least 90 minutes from wherever they work. At the interview, ask for four references and a letter of endorsement from their immediate supervisor. If necessary, send them a shortage letter.

Wait until the 90th business day then provide a reply, but not before.

Whatever you do, don't lose their file, or wait until February of 2018 to respond.

:lol2:

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Finally, I would suggest you don't search out the cheapest classes. Find a knowledgeable instructor for mandatory training, practice regularly (including IDPA or IPSIC) and think of continued training and legal knowledge as a journey - not a destination.

Thanks for the input. Do people that live in con carry states also put this much into their training? I shoot 800 rnds months, free range I can walk to, member of IDPA but little weekend time, how much more is required by MD in the way of being allowed to utilize the second amendment ? Sorry, I’m being sarcastic as I think of the states where 2A is a right, not a journey or destination.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Thanks for the input. Do people that live in con carry states also put this much into their training? I shoot 800 rnds months, free range I can walk to, member of IDPA but little weekend time, how much more is required by MD in the way of being allowed to utilize the second amendment ? Sorry, I’m being sarcastic as I think of the states where 2A is a right, not a journey or destination.

The simple answer is no, they do not.

Almost no one takes car or motorcycle driving safety courses unless required to as well. Same for Red Cross Basic First Aid.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    The simple answer is no, they do not.

Almost no one takes car or motorcycle driving safety courses unless required to as well. Same for Red Cross Basic First Aid.

Yeah, I know. I read every HPRB meeting post for the first year and took a little offense to cyber’s post. Good advice but I would prefer it to be the same “lack of” hoops to jump through for the entire nation, am I a rarity in this train of thought?

No offense meant at all cyberpunk, but ... reminds me of White (?) , trains people for the permit and denies appeals. My hope is that the second Amendment gives the people the right, promote the MD scheme and .... well ....

my $.02. Sorry if off topic.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Yeah, I know. I read every HPRB meeting post for the first year and took a little offense to cyber’s post. Good advice but I would prefer it to be the same “lack of” hoops to jump through for the entire nation, am I a rarity in this train of thought?

No offense meant at all cyberpunk, but ... reminds me of White (?) , trains people for the permit and denies appeals. My hope is that the second Amendment gives the people the right, promote the MD scheme and .... well ....

Which part of which post offended you?
    I'm open to discussion.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'm not IronPony , but the guess that comes to mind :

Working within the current scheme is a Bad Thing , because it lends an air of legitimacy to the current scheme. The only self-respecting approach is to go all 9 yards Pure 2A , and focus on nothing less than Shall Issue ( or perhaps Constitutional Carry ).

Kind of like mid 1800's Slavery Reformers vs All or Nothing Abolitionists .

Or I could be all wrong at mind reading.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012

I think you misunderstood me.
    I've not listened to HPRB meetings - I've attended many/most of them.

I'm in favor of constitutional carry. Non-prohibited domestic violence, crime victims and others should be able to carry immediately (even if only open carry) should they decide its necessary.

Nor should collectors, investors or inheritors have to take a gun safety class.

However, as an instructor I've come across too many people that have no good idea when it is lawful to use deadly force, as well as when and why it may not be a good idea. Those people risk danger to themselves and the community.

I'd like to see training incentivized, but not required.

Something like completion of a 16 hour safety and law course provides a lifetime Maryland Handgun Permit and a $400 state tax credit to cover the training costs.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    No, and I wouldn't expect the board members to address it as they weren't the ones to divulge the information.

The problem was with DPSCS, want Secretary Moyer's email address? :innocent0

I have it. lol I just want to make sure all avenues have been thoroughly plowed clear before I begin to plow another.
    I did not expect the board to explain it or take responsibility, because it is not their responsibility. I was just curious if the "talk on the street" would have made it to the board and maybe they would address is and advise people to direct their inquiries to the DPSCS.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    I have it. lol I just want to make sure all avenues have been thoroughly plowed clear before I begin to plow another.
    I did not expect the board to explain it or take responsibility, because it is not their responsibility. I was just curious if the "talk on the street" would have made it to the board and maybe they would address is and advise people to direct their inquiries to the DPSCS.

Here is the response that MSI got to my letter.

Attachments

• Letter from DPSCS on improper release.pdf
      174.6 KB · Views: 141

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom