• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shooter79

Apr 13, 2017
    I stole this from a old post!!!

Zombies have come alive and you live fairly close to a cemetary. You have to leave your shelter because you are being overrun. So you have to leave your arsenal behind because they are in your shelter. Considering your arsenal and your ammo stash you can only take 3 weapons from your current arsenal with you. What would you take:

1 Handgun
    1 Rifle
    1 Shotgun

Briefly explain why when you chose? No substitutes (ie 3 rifles) if you don't own one you go with 2!

r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    H: GSG1911-22 with can (gotta keep quiet when killin' the zombies.
    8162619950_12556a27a1_z.jpg

R: BCM Upper home grown thinger
    9626667448_deb66dfa9c_z.jpg

10695573473_34cfb21ee9_z.jpg

S: Benelli Super Nova because 3.5 magnum
    14370464178_45d53459c4_z.jpg

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Pistol: Glock 41 because it holds 15 rounds of 45acp with the mag extension

Rifle: SCAR 17, 7.62 goodness with a folder for close quarters and long range capable

Shotgun: VEPR 12 with a 25 round drum, whole lot of 00 buck without reloading

jmt476

Jan 16, 2013
    Pistol - Ruger P95
    9mm is common, and I have plenty ammo and desirable capacity mags.

Rifle - AR carbine that I built.
    It's standard 5.56 (also common), light, and minimalist. It's not a bulky gun at all.

Shotgun - Mossberg 500
    Mine 500 has an 8 round tube, and is also light and easy to handle. I have a stock and a pistol grip for it, so there's a level diversity within itself.

I also chose these because I have a rifle case backpack with about 1000 different compartments. This combination would leave me with a ton of space for ammo, food, water, knives, etc.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    All I need is my RMJ tomahawk and maybe a big knife as a backup. Guns are overrated against zombies. That being said there's no such thing as zombies.
    People really need to prepare for an alien invasion not a zombie invasion!

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Big arsenals are for the living. All you need for a zombie outbreak are the basics...

Rifle: A Krumlauf... because you may have to shoot around corners.
    tumblr_mokw2wGoAh1s97raro1_1280.jpg

Shotgun: A Winchester 36, single shot in 9mm rimfire should be more than enough gun (in case the zombies are in fact rats or sparrows)
    9859767_1.jpg

And last but not least, Handgun: When the S really hits the F, you want the best... Remington O/U derringer in .41 RF Short... because you might as well go out in style.
    remderringer+004.JPG

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    A 12 gauge double because uncle Joe said so!
    A M1 Garand because I can still shoot them when they are hiding behind a tree.
    A .22 derringer in case they chase us so I can shoot you in the knee and get away while they are busy eating your brain.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    dead doesn't become zombie.. so being near cemetery is non issue..

I'd stay .. unless I ran out of food. Lol

vetogunban

Apr 30, 2013
    Brooklyn Park

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If it has to be a handgun, only one I have is my 10.5" .223 wylde AR pistol.

For rifle I'd take my 20" .223 wylde AR-15 with 3-9x40 scope and bipod and as an accessory, my 16" .223 wylde upper with red dot and weapon light.

For shotgun my 870.

If I needed to actually travel light I'd only take my 16" AR and as much ammo as I could manage and then I'd make my wife carry my 10/22 and the kids would each take a brick of 22lr.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    In all seriousness, if you were forced to take what you needed with you in a bug out situation (that's not my own personal plan... but as they say, no plan survives first contact with the enemy), weight has to be a serious consideration. We all know that there is no one-size fits all scenario for guns. They are tools and they each do a different job. One type of gun can't do everything, in the same way that one type of screwdriver can't do everything. A good 12 ga is about as close as you are going to get to the Swiss Army knife equivalent, but now you are talking about very bulky and heavy ammo.

If God forbid, the day every came when I had to put what I could on my back and hump it out.... I would give a good hard look to how much bang I got per pound of weight. Would I rather have an extra 37 rounds of 5.56 or carry 38 rounds of 9mm for a handgun... to me that is a no-brainier. The lowly .22 would definitely play in my weight calculations... it's not sexy and not powerful, but if I can carry over 6 rounds of .22 for the weight consideration of a single round of .45, I think you've got to think hard about having a good scoped .22 rifle or semi auto handgun in your plans.

12 ga rounds/lb ~10
    7mm Rem rounds/lb ~15
    .308 rounds/lb ~19
    30-30 rounds/lb ~20
    .45 ACP rounds/lb ~21
    .44 mag rounds/lb ~22
    7.62x39 rounds/lb ~28
    .40 S&W rounds/lb ~28
    .357 mag rounds/lb ~30
    .38 special rounds/lb ~35
    5.56x45 rounds/lb ~37
    9mm rounds/lb ~38
    .380 ACP rounds/lb ~47
    .22lr rounds/lb ~133

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    That is why I'd take my 16" AR-15 in .223 wylde. Powerful enough I CAN take medium game, even if less than ideal and plenty of power for the 2 legged variety. Plus good zombie killer from near to far. Also not obscene to carry 300-400 rounds in magazines. Or 180 in mags and a spare 300 or so loose/in cardboard.

Since I do have a family of 5, but young kids, realistically I'd probably give my 10/22 to my 9 year old to hump (he could probably manage the 6lbs scoped weight) and my single shot 20 gauge or the .410 pump to my wife (she hasn't shot guns before, been resisting the sirens call). Both of those are under 6 pounds and the ammo is a lot lighter than 12ga and would allow for small game hunting as well as make it easier on her attempting to drop a zombie or even medium game. .410 would suck for deer, but plenty of people seem to have done it out to 30, 40 even close to 50 yards. However, 5+1 of 000 5 pellet is going to ruin zeds whole day.

I figure with my two youngest (5 and 7) could just carry a little bit of ammo and some of their own stuff. On top of rifle, ammo and cleaning kit I could hump my backpacking pack with at least 30 pounds of supplies in it, which would be enough for the basics. My wife could manage something like the .410 with probably 100 or so of #6 and 100 or so of 000 or #4 buck as well as her pack and 20-25lbs of gear in it. My oldest could likely manage the 10/22 with a brick of ammo, canteen and a change of clothes in a small pack. My younger two could manage backpacks with a canteen, change of clothes and probably a few boxes of 5.56, .410 or 22lr in it (maybe for redundancy make it 40rnds 5.56, 20rnds .410 and 100rnds of 22lr).

Frankly though I doubt we'd make it far on foot. I can manage 20+ miles a day, day in and day out humping 50 pounds. At least for at least a week before starting to burn out and slow down. My wife could manage 35lbs and 15 miles or so a day for a week. My kids...well the oldest could probably do 10-12 miles in a day with a 10lb pack for a day or two. The younger two might manage 6-8 miles in a day with a 7-8lb backpack for a day. Two might be generous (or pessimistic, dunno).

Beyond that, trying to carry most of the stuff for a family of 5, with firearms and ammo, likely we couldn't manage more than a day of water and maybe 3 days, 4 days tops of freeze dried food. Around here, not to worried water and could possibly forage. Though at least at the start of anything, there would be a LOT of other people to dodge and contend with. Odds likely wouldn't be good.

If a vehicle was a possibility...that changes everything. If I had a bit and had to bail, I'd empty the whole locker and grab everything off the shelves. I'd take my .308 bolt action, all of the ARs, 12ga 870, hell even the muzzleloader. A few thousand rounds of ammo between everything.

DentonDog

May 18, 2017
    Caroline Co, MD
    A machete. You don't run out of ammunition, but you can get tired swinging, so lots of pre apocalypse exercise. And at some point down stream when no other choice, what the hell, join them! I know, it's not a gun solution, so I'd include my S&W .22 with a pocket full of ammo.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom