• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How many squibs have you experienced in your lifetime?

• None

Votes: 33 51.6%

Votes: 21 32.8%
    • 2 or 3

Votes: 7 10.9%
    • 4 to 8

Votes: 0 0.0%
    • aw heck, I can't keep count

Votes: 3 4.7%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    I had a squib while shooting a steel match about four years ago. I was shooting factory ammo - American Eagle 9mm 147 grain FMJ that was purchased about two years prior. Apparently, this round never received a powder charge during its manufacture. It took a fair amount of force to knock the bullet out of the barrel with a short, fat brass rod (nearly 9mm in diameter).

Here is a video (not my squib) that shows what my squib looked like from my perspective. Note the smoke coming out of the breach area as well as the mild report.

Excellent. Thanks for posting.

I love the term "spontaneous disassembly"

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    I had a squib while shooting a steel match about four years ago. I was shooting factory ammo - American Eagle 9mm 147 grain FMJ that was purchased about two years prior. Apparently, this round never received a powder charge during its manufacture. It took a fair amount of force to knock the bullet out of the barrel with a short, fat brass rod (nearly 9mm in diameter).

Here is a video (not my squib) that shows what my squib looked like from my perspective. Note the smoke coming out of the breach area as well as the mild report.

Scary and the exact scenario where a semi-auto could blow up. Thanks for posting that attention getter.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Upside to an inline muzzleloader. A 209 primer is plenty to push out a sabotted bullet. Not real fast, but IIRC someone actual did a chronograph of different 209 primers and there is a velocity spread from around 200FPS up to around 290FPS for some of the magnum primers.

Also upside, if you had a round never leave, you'd just be loading on top. Which probably wouldn't do wonders, but I doubt would cause a dangerous over pressure event.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom