• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Humdi

Apr 21, 2017
    So I'm ready for my first handgun and I've done all my research.
    New. 9mm. $500 max.
    Narrowed down to xd, mp9, G17 or 19 and shield since it's priced so right @370ish.
    Went to the range and tried them all.
    G is too big and clunky, xd was too heavy and the mp9 was almost the right generic shooter. Shield still made more sense, ported which should make re targetting better and wins over it's price. Ready to "pull the trigger" and buy one.
    But,
    Behold the picture of the smoothest, most ergonomic, softest trigger, best handgun I've ever shot.

H&K.

Even if I have to wait longer to save and hope July 4th is a big gun sale day.
    ec224e5fe34a103ccdd2e25ff8cce69f.jpg

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    If you are going to hold off the purchase you might want to try the new CZ P10 out. I'm seeing a lot of very good things about it. I haven't been able to lay my hands on one yet.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    Add around $100 bucks to your price range and try a HK VP9 with night sights. You won't be sorry.

If those had the LEM trigger, they are a different animal, but still affordable.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    If you really like the H&K, save the extra hundred bucks and buy what you love. I've bought enough guns that I ended up reselling because I wasn't thrilled with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

callidus

May 21, 2013
    Maryland
    As others have said, CZ offerings are good as well in that range. My all time fave is the PPQ; I have the M2 Navy version, like it better than my Glock 19.

The shield is a great gun, but slightly different category (single stack, vs double). If carry is on your mind, I wouldn't go larger than a G19/PPQ/etc. size, and weight matters too. Shield is perfect. P2K can work, if your body/conceal style can support it. If you want a range/target gun, bigger is better (in this case, more rounds, more controllable). If you want a zombie apocalypse gun, think high round count, and also weight becomes more of a factor if you plan on lugging it around with other equipment.

Humdi

Apr 21, 2017
    Ya
    After the 1522 fiasco, I wanna do this handgun right, so if it takes longer, it has to be THE ONE.
    It's gonna be a range gun and hopefully I never have to use it otherwise.
    30L seemed a bit bulky, that's why I liked the 2000 more, but a p30s v3 I think is the one I'm looking for.
    $820 plus fees. Over 1k local. Topping what puts me in 1911 territory which I was gonna avoid until I had more experience...

Somebody here said
    "guns are like chips? Can't have just one!"
    I now understand.

YerNotGood

May 30, 2013
    Baltimore
    You can get a Walther PPQ M2 right now for around 400 bucks with the $100 rebate. If you are seeking a glorious factory trigger, look no further...

Humdi

Apr 21, 2017
    They should let you shoot at the store before you buy.
    How am I gonna find a range that has all these guns.
    Every store needs a 1 lane range for test shooting guns

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    They should let you shoot at the store before you buy.
    How am I gonna find a range that has all these guns.
    Every store needs a 1 lane range for test shooting guns

The problem with range guns is they are not usually current models and they've been ridden hard and put away wet. I run a pre purchase seminar with a variety of guns in great condition, but I don't have the kind of collection you're looking for. I have two 22s, a 22 Magnum, two 380s, a 7.62x25, a 38 special, a 357 Magnum, two 9 mms, a 40 S&W, a 45ACP, and an AR pistol in 223 Wylde. These are from Glock, Beretta, S&W, Bersa, Taurus, Heritage, and Chiappa. The goal of that seminar is to expose people to a variety of calibers, sizes, and actions. Ranges would have to spend a good chunk of change to rent a spectrum of current versions in many models.

Humdi

Apr 21, 2017
    There need to be more seminars like that...
    But it could get expensive putting that kind of collection together

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    If you are going to hold off the purchase you might want to try the new CZ P10 out. I'm seeing a lot of very good things about it. I haven't been able to lay my hands on one yet.

I have shot all the pistols mentioned in the post and the CZ P-10c has the best factory trigger of them all. It is the cleanest breaking factory striker trigger I've ever felt. Like a glass rod at 4.5lbs. I have a DK custom competition trigger in my Glock 34 for USPSA and my P10 almost matches it straight out of the box!

Humdi

Apr 21, 2017
    Just got this in the mail.
    It's gonna be hard not to spend what I've saved the next time I walk in a gun shop.
    30b3326cf7f5fdfb6aefcd88e748afed.jpg

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    There need to be more seminars like that...
    But it could get expensive putting that kind of collection together

It's cost me thousands of dollars. I don't do a bunch of marketing, but I have broken even and I have lots of toys. If you know anyone that might be interested, send them my way. The seminar is $130 for one person and $240 for two. The seminar includes hands on time, range fees, targets, and ammo for up to four guns. Right now, I'm also including a $20 coupon for a gun purchase at one of our IPs, Tyler Firearms.

Humdi

Apr 21, 2017
    Savings on Kitchen faucet install= $175
    Justifying a $675 gun budget= priceless

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    I have both shield 9mm and .45acp, both performance center models, love them both, love the .45acp round more than the 9mm.

gpfan

Dec 6, 2014
    Sykesville, MD
    So I'm ready for my first handgun and I've done all my research.
    New. 9mm. $500 max.
    Narrowed down to xd, mp9, G17 or 19 and shield since it's priced so right @370ish.
    Went to the range and tried them all.
    G is too big and clunky, xd was too heavy and the mp9 was almost the right generic shooter. Shield still made more sense, ported which should make re targetting better and wins over it's price. Ready to "pull the trigger" and buy one.
    But,
    Behold the picture of the smoothest, most ergonomic, softest trigger, best handgun I've ever shot.

H&K.

Even if I have to wait longer to save and hope July 4th is a big gun sale day.

The guns you referenced are all Striker Fire where as the H&K P2000 & P30 are both Double Action/Single Action. If you really want to compare apples with apples, I suggest seriously looking at the H&K VP9. Same ergonomics and quality as the P30 but Striker Fire instead. If you like the DA/SA then great, save for the P30 or P30L. But if you're used to Sriker Fire, then go with the VP9.

I recently bought a P30L and absolutely loved the gun but didn't want to take the time to get used to the DA/SA feel of it. And it does take some getting used to. I have since traded it for another gun. If I had to do it all over again, I'd have just gone with the VP9.

I personally prefer the M&P9 2.0. Great gun, Great value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom