What did you do at your reloading bench today?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jmorrismetal

Sep 27, 2014
    Made some extra capacity versions of my 45 ACP shotshells for one of my 45 ACP revolvers.

308 brass cut and trimmed to 1.600", expanded at the mouth with a 40 S&W expander, a slightly cut down .410 wad and .53oz of #12 shot.

IMG_20170103_134513_050-1_zpsaufwdamq.jpg

IMG_20170103_140342_191-1_zpsiz72ki2m.jpg

IMG_20170103_135945_932-1_zps5glrrhnm.jpg

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    Made some extra capacity versions of my 45 ACP shotshells for one of my 45 ACP revolvers.

308 brass cut and trimmed to 1.600", expanded at the mouth with a 40 S&W expander, a slightly cut down .410 wad and .53oz of #12 shot.

Is that a SS matte finish? The only one I have been able to find is the JM model.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    J Morris
    That is nothing but cool.
    I have to ask,Do you have a Rat problem?

I was doing some sizing, anyone recognize this?
    a03f0f821fd5005b293e1a3279f82fd2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pstango

Sep 21, 2011
    Mary Esther, FL
    Ended up reloading 350 rounds of 9mm a couple nights ago. Started cleaning more brass tonight to replenish my clean supply of 9mm brass. :D

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Look good! I use a hot plate to heat molds, whether they are alum, steel or brass. It really helps. Some will drill a hole in the mold for a pyrometer probe for more precision, but I haven't found it really necessary yet..

A pyrometer is a good idea. I have one on my multi-meter. Accurate too.

Ran into a problem with overheating the mold earlier. I think the cavity swelled up and gained diameter. The .500 diameter mold was throwing .499-.500-.501 bullets. Then it started throwing .505 bullets. Six in a row.

I was resting the mold over an open flame. That may be overkill. This is definitely a neat learning experience.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    A pyrometer is a good idea. I have one on my multi-meter. Accurate too.

Ran into a problem with overheating the mold earlier. I think the cavity swelled up and gained diameter. The .500 diameter mold was throwing .499-.500-.501 bullets. Then it started throwing .505 bullets. Six in a row.

I was resting the mold over an open flame. That may be overkill. This is definitely a neat learning experience.
    That's what I use as well. You will learn to 'read' the finished bullets pretty quickly to tell if the mold isn't hot enough, or when they start to get frosty, it's getting hot. That sometimes won't hurt, but it can at times too.. Aluminum molds are a little more finicky, since they heat and cool more quickly (and have a bit more thermal expansion as compared to other materials), but that can be a benefit too when you need to let them cool a bit. I often run two molds at a time for two different bullets and that gives me a chance to rest one while I use the other. It makes for a more continuous process without waiting, but sometimes a 5 min break is a good thing too... :beer:

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    Funny I was thinking of 3D printing my own custom reloading trays.

Let me know what you need, and I can probably print them for you. A 3d printer is a huge can of worms. An interesting challenge, but not for the faint of heart. There are a lot of promises, and not a lot of delivery.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Let me know what you need, and I can probably print them for you. A 3d printer is a huge can of worms. An interesting challenge, but not for the faint of heart. There are a lot of promises, and not a lot of delivery.

I built my own getting a kit with most of the parts from ultibots then modifying it. I agree that there is quite a learning curve but I have some previous career experience in the injection molding industry so I'm familiar with how temperamental plastic processing can be. Just like reloading, you try to change one parameter at a time and control the others. When you discover a process that works you run with it as long as possible.

Back to reloading. In addition to some compact trays, I'm also thinking if making a handle cover for my franklyn hand de-primer. The ridges on diecast one give me some nasty blisters even though my hands are pretty callused.

Looks like it's going to be a perfect reloading day after I cross off some house work from the list.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Close
    30-06 got in with my 308
    It felt harder on the pull but not that much. Enough to look at it when I pulled it out to see what happened

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Close
    30-06 got in with my 308
    It felt harder on the pull but not that much. Enough to look at it when I pulled it out to see what happened

The MDS Brass and Die Challenge has begun.

Let's run a .30-06 case into a .30-30 die and see what happens.

And the little RCBS Partner Press comes through again.

30063030 001.jpg

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    And thus was born the 2 greatest 30 caliber wildcat cartridges of all time, .308 Melnic and .30-30 iH8DEMLIBZ. We can all say we knew you guys before you became rich and famous! :)

Seriously, you can bet a few wildcatters got their ideas in not too different a way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom