What did you do at your reloading bench today?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Pure soft lead noses for a 300 grain .45 Long Colt bullet. The noses shown are just to see if the process worked. Read on.....

Using the handy dandy dipper, pure the soft lead first. Then immediately pour in the remaining hard cast lead while the nose is still hot. The two portions will fuse together inside the mold. And will remain a solid mass. No separation.

The idea is to have the soft nose expand on impact to give a good wallop. And have the solid non-expandable base drive through the animal.

The soft lead dipper is a 9mm case. Black wire was used for the handle. Just fill it to the top and pour. Pretty damn cool.

Check out da pitchers.

Bullet Noses .45 LC 006.jpg

Bullet Noses .45 LC 011.jpg

Sharpeneddark

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    Westminster
    I loaded some 308 Win and 300 Blk. 100 rounds each. Loaded 100 rounds of 223.

I don't have a fancy progressive press, so I make them in 100 round batches when I have the time :)

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Waiting for fridge delivery I busted out about 200 200gr flat points.
    This is what seems to always happen to me eventually requiring me to let it cool and clean the lead off the top of the mold and the black flapper of my Lee mold. Anything I can do while molding periodically to stop this?
    The screw does seem to get loose and I have to periodically tighten.
    03da1f3ea261770529e5d24282f78533.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Keep that sprue plate snugged up and lightly lubricated.

Let the bullets cool for a bit (30 seconds or so) so you don't get lead smear when you whack the sprue plate to cut the sprue. If cutting the sprue feels like you're cutting something soft, your lead is still too hot. You want a solid kachunck sound with some resistance when you whack it. Possible out of context thread material...?

Lead smear build up will cause a gap. Then the gap gets filled with hot lead. Causing more lead smear. Causing a bigger gap. Damnable lead smear.

Are you getting divots/recesses in the backs of your bullets (too hot)? Or just a slight rise where the sprue got whacked (slightly cooled and perfect)?

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Waiting for fridge delivery I busted out about 200 200gr flat points.
    This is what seems to always happen to me eventually requiring me to let it cool and clean the lead off the top of the mold and the black flapper of my Lee mold. Anything I can do while molding periodically to stop this?
    The screw does seem to get loose and I have to periodically tighten.

One thing you may be able to do... drill and tap a hole for a setscrew to secure and lock the sprue plate screw and prevent it from loosening... ;)

As was mentioned, keep the sprue plate lubed and when you knock it, try to not knock it upward as you do, this can put some pressure on the sprue plate screw and cause it to loosen up more quickly. I go by the feel of the sprue plate, when it starts to get too easy to move, time to check that screw again.. lol

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    One thing you may be able to do... drill and tap a hole for a setscrew to secure and lock the sprue plate screw and prevent it from loosening... ;)

As was mentioned, keep the sprue plate lubed and when you knock it, try to not knock it upward as you do, this can put some pressure on the sprue plate screw and cause it to loosen up more quickly. I go by the feel of the sprue plate, when it starts to get too easy to move, time to check that screw again.. lol

YUP!

I knock mine downward too. So the plate is making good contact with mold blocks.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I can't recommend the RCBS Uni-Flow measure enough.

That thing is amazingly smooth and accurate.

I have this model and ball powder seems to be +/- .1gr on average. Occasionally I get a +/- .3

However I was loading Pistol charges using longshot and I had big trouble keeping the light weight charges accurate. I was probably doing something wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

EWF

Dec 19, 2016
    Butler, PA
    Today was a sad day at the reloading press. My Dillon 550 finally crapped out at about 25 yrs old. So I've had to remove it from the strong mount and prep it for its return trip to Dillon. Sad day!

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    Today was a sad day at the reloading press. My Dillon 550 finally crapped out at about 25 yrs old. So I've had to remove it from the strong mount and prep it for its return trip to Dillon. Sad day!

But, but, but, it's a Dillon and they are bullet proof ..................

Cuttyfunk

Dec 17, 2015
    Mommy was sick, so the little man was helping to trim brass.

Attachments

• IMG_20170214_191732079~2-784x527.jpg
      IMG_20170214_191732079~2-784x527.jpg
      92.3 KB · Views: 212

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Keep that sprue plate snugged up and lightly lubricated.

Let the bullets cool for a bit (30 seconds or so) so you don't get lead smear when you whack the sprue plate to cut the sprue. If cutting the sprue feels like you're cutting something soft, your lead is still too hot. You want a solid kachunck sound with some resistance when you whack it. Possible out of context thread material...?

Lead smear build up will cause a gap. Then the gap gets filled with hot lead. Causing more lead smear. Causing a bigger gap. Damnable lead smear.

Are you getting divots/recesses in the backs of your bullets (too hot)? Or just a slight rise where the sprue got whacked (slightly cooled and perfect)?

What do you lube with?
    I put some yellow beeswax on the screw.

HOw do I need to clean the lead off the sprue plate and top of mold? Do I need to heat them up and dip into the pot of lead?

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I have this model and ball powder seems to be +/- .1gr on average. Occasionally I get a +/- .3

However I was loading Pistol charges using longshot and I had big trouble keeping the light weight charges accurate. I was probably doing something wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ToolAA, trying to (maybe) read between the lines in your post here, so I'll mention this just in the event.

IF you are someone who is usually loading for rifle, and IF you're typically using the large charge drum in the Uniflow measure?

You'll find significantly less pistol small charge weight fluctuation with the small Uniflow drum.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    ToolAA, trying to (maybe) read between the lines in your post here, so I'll mention this just in the event.

IF you are someone who is usually loading for rifle, and IF you're typically using the large charge drum in the Uniflow measure?

You'll find significantly less pistol small charge weight fluctuation with the small Uniflow drum.

We'll that explains it. I didn't even know that there was a small uniflow drum until now. I ended up weighing almost every charge.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom