What did you do at your reloading bench today?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cyclops

Dec 31, 2016
    Western Md.
    Seagrave. Sure I'll be glad to, but it will probably be a week or so before I am able to get out to the range.

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    I pulled 50 Sierra Game Kings out of my recently reloaded 30-06 because I scaled the powder wrong.

Re-did the powder charge and put new bullets in. This was for my hunting loads. Will put the pulled bullets in my Garand loads.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    15 300s 001.JPG

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Running them as subs? A good hard lead bullet may be a nice subsonic load.

Yes on subs. Planning on 9 to 10 grains of H110.

Hard enough to fracture cleanly, but still has the ability to bend some before doing so. If the accuracy and performance is OK, my lead mixture will be a keeper.

Shattered Bullet 003.JPG

shattered bullet 004.JPG

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Thanks for the info. I'm planning to finish a 300blk SBR build sometime this year and was wondering if a lead bullet would be best for hunting with subs. Thoughts on using these to double lung whitetails at 50 yards?

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Thanks for the info. I'm planning to finish a 300blk SBR build sometime this year and was wondering if a lead bullet would be best for hunting with subs. Thoughts on using these to double lung whitetails at 50 yards?

I would never use this bullet for hunting at any distance. Too hard. No expansion. It would leave two, clean, .30 caliber holes. And not enough velocity for hydrostatic shock. .02

Best bet for hunting would be the Barne's 110 solid copper. They shred Bambi's innards.

Barnes 110.jpg

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Tumble. Easy.

When dry, it's on there pretty good. Nothing in the instructions about removing it from bullet nose.

Will be shooting it next week. Fingers crossed for no key holing.
    I cast the same boolits, no issues with my 300 loads, tho I use A1680 for sub loads. I think I have also run some in my 308 with no issues like keyholing...

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    Decaped and sized some 38 spl and .223. Then put .223 back in tumbler to clean off lube. Loaded up 100 38 spl 148 grn swc. Used my new press to try it out. man it's slow ing with a single stage. Just hand primed as well because it doesn't have the auto primer attachment, yet!

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Changing the dmps g2 around a little, SSAE, STR stock, Tubbs flatwire spring and mounted a 2.5-10 scope on it.

After the tubb spring, Bolt isn't going far enough back to lock it open. I will pull the spring out and reinstall maybe after dinner to see if that fixes it.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Just finished 100 9mm using cast epoxy coated 147g projectiles. My first time loading 9mm. I was surprised but bullet seating was nowhere near as consistent as loading 223. I'm not sure if it has something to do with inconsistencies in the cast slug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    Just finished 100 9mm using cast epoxy coated 147g projectiles. My first time loading 9mm. I was surprised but bullet seating was nowhere near as consistent as loading 223. I'm not sure if it has something to do with inconsistencies in the cast slug.

The bold is most likely it. The depth of the bullet base into the case is probably consistent. Your seater is pushing on the ogive but you are measuring from the nose. See posts 87 and 96 for a more wordy version.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Loaded some test rounds at 5 different charge weights.
    Developing a pet load for WW2 P38

7b871add9216782f712e56d8820f41fb.jpg

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I would be interested in what you come up with for the P38 load. Are you using a cast bullet?

I'm using a cast bullet from a Lee 124gr mold.
    They are coming out at 129gr
    I loaded these at 3.5-3.9gr of Bullseye.
    I have a Walther P1 which is a post war version of the P38 so I will start at 3.5gr one bullet at a time in the mag and chrono each looking to see which loads cycle, check FPS and pressure signs. Doing this all in the P1 first.
    The lead I'm using is pretty soft (dive weights) so I"m expecting the pressure on the P38 to be pretty low. Its not going to be a regular shooter, just a few times a year.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Got 21 rounds completed this afternoon. Various brass all loaded the same: Winchester primers, IMR4320 at 42 grains topped off with a Sierra 165 gr Spitzer bullet. Hopefully, can make it to the range tomorrow afternoon.
    Any comments/guidance is always appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_3496.jpg
      IMG_3496.jpg
      113.4 KB · Views: 217

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads