• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    While we're on the subject, in the house, where is a "safe direction"?
    Typically I believe it to be at the corner floor of a room. This would be where most wood meets in the structure. Unless you have a sand clearing barrel, you have us all beat.
    And would that be a viable option? A 5 gallon bucket of sand? I think so.

I routinely shot and cleaned my muzzle loader everytime. Except once. I was going to hunt the very next day, and then it poured rain. The next weekend I was getting ready and knowing that I always cleaned my gun I decided to fire a cap indoors to clear the barrel of oil. I aimed at my first graders picture on the wall. It occurred to me "one day you're going to try this with a loaded gun" and changed my aim to the wood pile next to the fireplace.

To this day I cannot explain how pieces of wood managed to helicopter through the air in slow motion

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    While we're on the subject, in the house, where is a "safe direction"?
    Typically I believe it to be at the corner floor of a room. This would be where most wood meets in the structure. Unless you have a sand clearing barrel, you have us all beat.
    And would that be a viable option? A 5 gallon bucket of sand? I think so.

My safe direction is the corner where two cinder block walls meet but I wonder if that'll just cause a ricochet. Is pointing perpendicular to a cinder block wall better?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    My safe direction is the corner where two cinder block walls meet but I wonder if that'll just cause a ricochet. Is pointing perpendicular to a cinder block wall better?
    I don't think so. I and many co workers of mine say the floor corner of a room. This is where a bunch of wood meets at the corner. I guess I can't really explain it typing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    I don't think so. I and many co workers of mine say the floor corner of a room. This is where a bunch of wood meets at the corner. I guess I can't really explain it typing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

a picture is worth...

331200435021_corn8.jpg

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    TY

I hope you never do.
    ND that is. I'm pretty sure you will die though :D

And that's the only reason I started this thread. Kind of like when in high school they would bring in a mangled up car from a drunk driving accident every year right before prom time. You can never have too many safety reminders pounded into you, and visual aids are invaluable.
    Alan - FYI - the wrecked car event has now evolved into "Prom Promise". A full blown Police, Fire/Rescue, EMS, local Funeral Home and towing companies response to a "drunk driving" accident. Usually the school drama club supplies the "victims" and the entire scene is played out, from extrication and treatment of the "living", to the "arrest" of the "drunk" driver, even the removal of the "dead" by the funeral home. I've seen kids crying and doing the"zombie" walk leaving these events, hopefully they think twice.

Thanks for the safety reminder!!

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

Sthomas229

none
    MDS Supporter
    May 7, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    Forgetfulness can happen to anyone, it's the safety checks that prevent catastrophe. A few weeks ago I was at the range with a buddy. As we uncased rifles to put them in the rack, I opened the bolt on an AR to insert a flag and a round fell out. Safety was on and trigger was not touched, so no AD. It was a definite pucker factor moment though.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    ^^^^^ Ditto!!!
    Wrong. I'll say I'm probably in the top five of anyone on this forum who have fired the most rounds of anyone here. Certainly that amount of gun handling should have resulted in something. That's what you're saying.
    I doubt anyone at that level is going to go awry and want to use an uncleared pistol as a fidget spinner.

Gizmo98

Free At Last!!
    Nov 4, 2015
    Central PA

I talked to Travis about this when I took one of his classes. I don't know if it was via FB or Twitter or what, but it went out on one of his accounts that it was not a ND. People assumed Travis said it. This was not the case. He was out of the country when the video came out (which was a good while after the actual incident), and someone on his staff sent out the Tweet or whatever that denied the ND. Travis owned up to it pretty soon after, but that never got coverage.
    He was intentionally breaking some of the rules to discuss why the technique was bad, and he accidentally proved his point. Thankfully he was following the other rules, so no one was hurt (other than ringing ears).

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    I talked to Travis about this when I took one of his classes. I don't know if it was via FB or Twitter or what, but it went out on one of his accounts that it was not a ND. People assumed Travis said it. This was not the case. He was out of the country when the video came out (which was a good while after the actual incident), and someone on his staff sent out the Tweet or whatever that denied the ND. Travis owned up to it pretty soon after, but that never got coverage.
    He was intentionally breaking some of the rules to discuss why the technique was bad, and he accidentally proved his point. Thankfully he was following the other rules, so no one was hurt (other than ringing ears).

That's all that matters. :thumbsup:

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    Alan, thanks for stepping up. Some day your guardian angel will fill you in on why this happened and how many lives were saved.

What I've been through in the past 18 months (this included) I have no doubt I'm being looked after for a reason. I was joking with my mom not too long ago that it must be a real doozy I'm being saved for :lol:

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Great picture.

A lot of builders use L corners these days, which eliminates the blocking and has the inside corner stud turned sideways. Which make the corner less dense.

Exactly. Very few carpenters frame corners using those "stud-block-stud" arrangements, nor have they for many years. Many, many, many years.

You do have a better chance of hitting "solid" wood at that spot, but don't count on more than a few inches of soft pine. Very slight differences in point of impact and angle of impact could mean the difference between hitting six inches or more of wood (downward angle through several studs, plate, subfloor, and 2-by douglas fir joist), or just clipping a single stud, perhaps nicking the plate and blasting on through some thin sheathing (OSB at best, R Max foam or celotex in older houses).

That spot is one of the densest spots in many houses, and if you have to improvise with no better option available, it may be the safest direction available, so go for it. It's only a rule of thumb, though. It's not a magic bulletproof "safe direction." It's only a "safer direction."

A known "safer direction" is better if you have one available. Bucket of sand, bookcase full of dense tomes, stack of firewood, big potted ficus, etc.

(Carpenter with 37 years experience. Always framed with "L" corners since I started in 1980.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom