• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    I just ordered a Nikon M223 1-4X20 from Midway. I tried to do it online but the Free mount was out of stock, therefore could not get it for free. I sent them an email and they told me to call in my order and they will override it. I paid $259 for the Nikon which will be shipped today and $0 for the mount which will be shipped in June. Not a bad deal. This deal expires on May 31st...FYI.

bman940

Bart, Nikon Pro Staff
    Oct 11, 2010
    North Texas
    Great to hear so many positive comments about Nikon's M-223 series scopes and M-223 AR Mount. I must say ever since I joined this forum you guys have been great, Asking me excellent questions and giving constructive critiques of our products. I will continue to pass along promotions that I think you guys will be interested in. In the meantime, lets see some pics when you get these scopes mounted up. I also love pics of targets as well.
    Thanks guys.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd363/bman940/Pardustargetm-223.jpg

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Great to hear so many positive comments about Nikon's M-223 series scopes and M-223 AR Mount. I must say ever since I joined this forum you guys have been great, Asking me excellent questions and giving constructive critiques of our products. I will continue to pass along promotions that I think you guys will be interested in. In the meantime, lets see some pics when you get these scopes mounted up. I also love pics of targets as well.
    Thanks guys.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd363/bman940/Pardustargetm-223.jpg
    I will post pics as soon as I have the money to buy the upper I want. I would have never bought this scope before having the upper first, but I couldn't pass up the deal on such an Awesome optic.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    The 1x-4x Optic Chart - Reference

If anyone finds that this gets updated, please let me know and I'll change the link.

1-4xtableimagecurrent-1.jpg

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    If there are other open threads on this topic, let me know and I'll begin a compilation of them for a real reference sticky.

brianong18

Nobody
    Jul 11, 2011
    Pasadena, MD
    I'm looking for a 1-4 or higher powered illuminated scope. I was in between the VX-R and MTAC. Looking at shooting to about 200 yards only. Are there any other options I should look into? I'm looking to spend under $500 for the scope. Some help on some affordable quick release mounts would be appreciated too. Thanks.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    I'm looking for a 1-4 or higher powered illuminated scope. I was in between the VX-R and MTAC. Looking at shooting to about 200 yards only. Are there any other options I should look into? I'm looking to spend under $500 for the scope. Some help on some affordable quick release mounts would be appreciated too. Thanks.

For whatever it's worth, I decided on the Viper PST as the best compromise on quality, clarity, durability and price in that price bracket... But choosing the right reticle for my uses played a big factor as well.

What are you going to put it on?

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA

With a 200 yard max, you really can't go wrong with a Primary Arms 1-4x and a Larue LT-104. That'll be way under your budget, and you can upgrade the scope if you ever need to and still have a premium QD mount that you'll never need to upgrade.

-Jim

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    With a 200 yard max, you really can't go wrong with a Primary Arms 1-4x and a Larue LT-104. That'll be way under your budget, and you can upgrade the scope if you ever need to and still have a premium QD mount that you'll never need to upgrade.

-Jim

A $125 Chinese wonder scope? Seems to me that we have been down that dead end road before (and it was money down the drain), but if that's all you can afford, then I can't argue (though I would highly recommend saving up for something a little nicer).

...but putting it in a $200+ mount? If it were me with that budget, I would be using cheap, but solid steel rings and spending the money on better glass.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    A $125 Chinese wonder scope? Seems to me that we have been down that dead end road before (and it was money down the drain), but if that's all you can afford, then I can't argue (though I would highly recommend saving up for something a little nicer).

...but putting it in a $200+ mount? If it were me with that budget, I would be using cheap, but solid steel rings and spending the money on better glass.

Couldn't agree more. Some of the Weaver's are now also Chinese junk.

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA

Have you ever used or even looked through a PA 1-4x?

We have been down this road before and the PA scope comes out as a good value every time.

I've shot the PA scope out to 300 yards with an AK and get good hits on man size targets with ease. I'm no more accurate with my ACOG. Of course irons work at this range to.

Another good option is the FireField 1-6x. I've got it on a .308 and an SPR and it works very well. It's more than one needs for 200 yards though.

There is a place for nice glass in a low power scope that is certain. 200 yards at a range is not that place in my opinion. Go further, or compete and the game completely changes. Move up to higher powers and premium glass becomes essential. If one wants to spend more on a low power scope for short ranges, I'm not going to tell them not to.

As to the expensive mount. I guess im like you with glass. I don't see value in a cheaper QD mount than the Larue. That's what I like for my guns, so that's what I suggested. Sorry you don't approve.

-Jim

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    Have you ever used or even looked through a PA 1-4x? We have been down this road before and the PA scope comes out as a good value every time.

Yes, I have... I should have been more specific about my critique. My cousin (on a college student budget) has one on his AR. It's fine for one eye closed bench shooting at 100 yards (I didn't try to take it further so can't speak to clarity beyond that), but the distortion around the edges was brutal when I cranked it down to 1x and shot with both eyes open. It was an instant headache. That being the case, the point of a 1x bottom end is pretty much lost for me.

I suppose that we can debate whether it is a good value. For me, it is more than looking at what you get for the money. If I end up replacing it because I am not happy with the performance, then it is a poor value because I got nothing for my money (other than another inhabitant of my huge box of discarded gun stuff).

As to the expensive mount. I guess im like you with glass. I don't see value in a cheaper QD mount than the Larue.

Not even the Am. Def. QD Recon? (HT4 ducks behind his desk and pretends that he's not trying to start a fight).

That's what I like for my guns, so that's what I suggested. Sorry you don't approve.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion... and since my approval doesn't even mean much to my wife... I'm used to it and take no offense. :o :thumbsup:

There is no doubt that certain Chinese optics have made massive strides in recent years, and I look forward to the time when they can replace the mid-range products (and force the prices down on everything)... but I don't think they are quite there yet if the PA 1-4 is any indication (though it is certainly better than the NCStar that I reluctantly admit is residing in the aforementioned box of crap).

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    Yes, I have... I should have been more specific about my critique.

Not even the Am. Def. QD Recon? (HT4 ducks behind his desk and pretends that he's not trying to start a fight).

Fair enough, I agree that the 1x performance is not as good as it should be.

As to the American Defense. It's also a fine mount. I prefer the QD mechanism of the Larue, but don't think it's worth starting a fight :).

-Jim

Last edited:

BRASS

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 29, 2012
    Do you guys typically boresight your AR scopes? The classic Bushnell boresighter will not work on the high AR mounts. I am mounting a Leupold VariX3 1.5x5 20mm on the Leupold Mark 2 IMS mount.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Do you guys typically boresight your AR scopes? The classic Bushnell boresighter will not work on the high AR mounts. I am mounting a Leupold VariX3 1.5x5 20mm on the Leupold Mark 2 IMS mount.

I don't. I just set it at the factory zero and shoot at an over sized target at 50 yards; and then just walk it to the bulls eye.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom