• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    Anyone cut the cord and is using a HD Antenna around Westminster? I'm trying to figure out if CBS comes in via a standard in-house antenna. Google results are 50/50 so far so not looking promising. trying to see what channels I can get at the house.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I'm close to Westminster and had no luck with all 5 antennas I tried. The final judgement was either an external roof mounted one or install one inside the attic and hope it worked. Considering my strike outs with all the others that "should have worked" I decided I wasn't going through the hassle.

We settled on Playstation Vue at 40 bucks a month with no subscription. There are many streaming services priced about the same or less. We do it in the winter and cancel it in the summer as we aren't home and don't watch much TV.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Probably is going to require an outside antenna that far away. And a rotator if you want to try mtv Frederick. Probably too far away for DC.

Multipath (multiple signals arriving that bounce off obstructions is death to digital TV.

Also they severely reduced power when things went digital. Dumb move.

Remember ghosting in the old days? That kills digital TV. Aircraft flying around is bad too. If BWI is landing a certain way I have trouble.

kshaw

Nov 21, 2012
    Gaithersburg, MD
    This website is helpful in determining available channels and what kind of antenna you need to receive them https://www.tvfool.com/ I used it to install an antenna for our condo in Ocean City. I had the best luck with a Channel Master antenna with an amplifier. Picture quality is excellent.

roadking

Mar 11, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    I grew up in Bel Air, which is kinda the same distance from TV Hill as Westminster is, just NE instead of NW. We had an in-attic antenna and it picked up 2, 11, 13 and 45 pretty well. Sometimes even 5 and 20 (DC) or 8 (Philly). But those were analog broadcasts. I’d think digital might come in better. Also, can’t you use the CBS app (or Hulu) to stream CBS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I grew up in Bel Air, which is kinda the same distance from TV Hill as Westminster is, just NE instead of NW. We had an in-attic antenna and it picked up 2, 11, 13 and 45 pretty well. Sometimes even 5 and 20 (DC) or 8 (Philly). But those were analog broadcasts. I’d think digital might come in better. Also, can’t you use the CBS app (or Hulu) to stream CBS?

My stepson who lives in forest hill just went through this. We tried (and returned) half a dozen indoor HD antennae...even the one with the best reviews couldn't draw in Baltimore or Delaware stations worth a crap. And living in an Apartment complex he isn't allowed to install one outside. Now that said, I have an indoor RCA Mid level HD antenna in my RV down at Cherrystone (lower ESVA) and I can pull in stations from Hampton Roads and Salisbury...BUT saltwater is a very good for wave propagation which probably has a lot to do with it since my RV is basically 50 feet from the water's edge when I'm using it..

j26sub

May 8, 2018
    Fixed wireless

See if you can find a local fixed wireless internet. I pay 44 a month for 15gig download internet..2-3 streaming devices at once. I have a small dish on the side of my house that points at a cellphone tower that the carrier rents space from. I also pay for Hulu live, which got me all the local NFL stuff I needed last season...so most local channels. It costs 40. So cable and internet for 85 instead of the 160 that Comcast kept increasing. Good luck. I hope fixed wireless continues to spread!! Maybe it's just available because I'm in rural Western MD.

Up_in_BoCo

Dedicated plinker
    Oct 22, 2014
    HZ
    https://antennaweb.org/Address
    Gives you the bearing for aiming the antenna to get your stations.

In Northern Baltimore County, I ended up with a roof mounted antenna, split the difference on the angles to TV Hill.
    Get 2,11,13,45 and their sub channels very good. Great way to watch football.

threegun

Jan 26, 2013
    Westminster
    I live 8 miles south of Westminster and am still using a 35 year old roof mounted antenna on one of my TVs. When the rotor worked I could get DC and Baltimore stations. It is currently stuck on the Baltimore stations, but works just fine. I can currently get the following channels and subs 2,11,13,20,24,45,67 and somehow it gets ch 5 and subs. I haven't run the scan function for years so it is possible there are more.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    I'm in frederick in a second floor apartment. I bought a cheap antenna off amazon and put it on top of a bookshelf next to the exterior wall and it picks up about 20 different channels great.

Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    I live 8 miles south of Westminster and am still using a 35 year old roof mounted antenna on one of my TVs. When the rotor worked I could get DC and Baltimore stations. It is currently stuck on the Baltimore stations, but works just fine. I can currently get the following channels and subs 2,11,13,20,24,45,67 and somehow it gets ch 5 and subs. I haven't run the scan function for years so it is possible there are more.

I'm 8 mi down 32, so probably same boat. looking to cut the cord as a cost saving measure, and I don't think the wife will go for a roof antenna. think I'll have to go with hulu or something

Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan

I don't think a big antenna is in the cards for cost savings. will probably have to either go the hulu route or stop watching all of my CBS shows :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom