• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    What's wrong with just being cooperative with a TFO doing an investigation?

in my book not a thing if that's who and what he was. It is very strange the guy left nothing in the way of contact info. any time I ever dealt with any police they if nothing else left their name and number on a piece of paper in case I needed then or had any questions.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    The reason he gave for talking to everyone who had been to the range was that the range's rental paperwork was "a mess". He said that many times they showed a person renting a gun but did not list what they rented only hand gun, or rifle. So they have no idea who rented the AR15 in the past month or so and walked off with it or if it is an inside job.

The ATF did all me back and was able to tell me it is one of there guys.

I'm not too worried as I haven't done anything illegal nor do I have any illegal guns alcohol, tobacco or explosive's.

Just thought it odd is all.

Also i was wondering about how the owner of the range said that he did not know anything about it. Some said that's what they would expect him to say. But If I was the range owner and you called asking about a missing AR (that I would be sweating bullets over) I would hope you either had it and wanted to bring it back or you may have info on where it is. He can't find out either if he tells you he knows nothing about it.

vector03

Frustrated Incorporated
    Jan 7, 2009
    Columbia
    IMO, in the future, verify who someone is who's claiming to be law enforcement BEFORE you talk to them or let them in your house. Too many recent case of impostors.

Ruzo

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2011
    Phoenix, MD.
    I've been to a couple of ranges where the personnel there get in great new toys, and want to demonstrate them to the customers for future rental profit. Could of been a case where said weapon was brought out, passed around, then the employee had a call or an issue came up. This happens all the time in business. Sudden fires that need to be put out asap. A good thief could of been out that door in a matter of seconds.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Also i was wondering about how the owner of the range said that he did not know anything about it. Some said that's what they would expect him to say. But If I was the range owner and you called asking about a missing AR (that I would be sweating bullets over) I would hope you either had it and wanted to bring it back or you may have info on where it is. He can't find out either if he tells you he knows nothing about it.

What you are missing here is that the owner could be the culprit. Caught off guard from the phone call because the owner has yet to get his thoughts together for his crime.
    Sent from my phone from somewhere in the world.

awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    A good policy when an uninvited person claiming to be LE shows up at your door without a marked car is to speak to them through the door, and tell them that you're calling the dispatch to confirm their identity.

If you're outside in the yard, make note of the car, clothing, physical description, etc. and ensure to get a card.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Yeah. A business card is legit. LOL can't get those made anywhere.

Sent from my phone from somewhere in the world.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    First, very sorry to hear you got a surprise visit... while you may have done nothing wrong, they are there to look for a reason to come back. It's unsettling to be in that situation. But keep in mind it's just a guy doing his job and following whatever leads he was given.

Second, there's a lot of paranoia floating around this thread and don't let it rub off on you. Yes, you should've gotten a name and better documentation. But I seriously doubt you'll get any jack-booted thugs kicking in the door based on a brief exchange.

What I find... interesting... is that this was presented as a case of a missing AR, which would be something the local LEOs would certainly be involved in. But it's not something the BATFE would pursue unless there was more to the story than you were given. The range not fessing up to a missing rifle is even more suspicius. The BATFE doesn't have the resources that most people assume they have. Something bigger is going on here.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    So, I'm surprised that nobody mentioned that it may not have been a semi auto AR. Post-86 samples ARE a big deal to find.

Probably because I and many others wrongly think of full autos as M-16's and not AR-15's.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    =Samuel;1960778]Someone needs to post that video about not talking to the police about anything, ever, even if you're innocent.

I'd have shut the door in the mans face mumbling something about a warrant.

:tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil2::facepalm::kicknuts::rasp::kicknuts::asshat::asshat::tongue01::outta her:smoke:[

:patriot:

psycosteve

Meme magic works!!!
    Sep 3, 2012
    Gentrfying the Hagersbush.
    No matter what kind of shop you work at things walk out the door with relative ease . When you take a bunch of minimal wage mental midgets and throw a polo shirt on them do you really expect anything to be accurate when it comes to the inventory ? The same moron who was drooling over the moderately hot babe with a gun would never leave an AR on the counter? If said AR was left on the counter it walked . this is the reason everyone is getting a visit on this one. Otherwise they would of just looked at the rental slip and gone from there .

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Someone needs to post that video about not talking to the police about anything, ever, even if you're innocent.

I'd have shut the door in the mans face mumbling something about a warrant.

Honestly, that video is just as bad as those stop snitching things.

If you want crimes solved, you have to talk to the police sometimes.

It's like telling a firefighter you want a fire put out, but he can't use the water in your pool to do it.

CrueChief

Cocker Dad/RIP Bella
    Apr 3, 2009
    Napolis-ish

It's like telling a firefighter you want a fire put out, but he can't use the water in your pool to do it.

No not the pool water........ Ok they can use the pool water but definitely can't use the hot tub water!

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland

If it's the video I'm thinking of, that was a class of up and coming attorneys that were being taught how to advise their clients.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Something all y'all paranoid folks seem to have missed is that the Detective had the OP's signed rental agreement from the range. They don't just hand those things out or throw them in the dumpster out back; he wouldn't have those if he was an imposter. No way a fake agent fools a range owner into forking over records like that.

As for the "why would the ATF be involved" question someone asked, the range most likely has an FFL. An FFL losing a firearm is a federal issue. It's not the same as someone stealing one from a citizen.

The fact that he left no contact info means either he was satisfied that the OP was not involved or it was just sloppy police work on his part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom