• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • janklow

Feb 6, 2013
    That's an awfully wide brush you are painting with there given the folks on this board that live in those locations.
    if they're not in his "last white redoubt," he's not concerned about them

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas
    There may be a small spot of light in District 42 (northern Baltimore County).

The current County Exec (Kamenetz) is making noises like he has his eye on the Governor's Mansion. This has the current District 42 State Senator, Jim Brochin (D), kicking around the idea of becoming County Exec in 2018. Brochin won his current Senate seat by a very small margin against a Republican challenger who entered the race late with little money and no experience. There is an excellent chance the District 42 Senate seat could be flipped to R if a decent candidate comes forward and does not have to run against a well funded incumbent.

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    Yes, add me to he naysayers list. I've witnessed the last 39 years in Merriland and have seen two surprises...Erlich and now Hogan, a disappointment to the 2A community to say the least. His stand against Trump was the nail that has sealed his fate.

Folks in Monkey, PG, Balt City, Balt county and Annapolis do not vote issues like you and I; they vote sanctuary state matters, Section 8, free this or that and look the other way on drugs and law enforcement...look at the recent riots in the City as a good example (the Mayor should have gone to jail for allowing that to happen).

I'd love to be more positive, but only believe that we can chip away at changing things, but a major swing in Maryland is not going to happen in our life spans.

I live in the last white redoubt in PG county, and the lunkheads in the hood vote Democratic religiously. Take a close look at how the demographics have changed and you will see what a tremendous obstacle you face.

Me, my time is limited and I will die and rest at my roots in Indiana, PA. We don't have these discussions in small town USA either!

Lew--Ranger63
    Korea, Vietnam (2), Germany

That's an awfully wide brush you are painting with there given the folks on this board that live in those locations.

Yes, I am one of them and I know of plenty of others. So if you can't get a Republican candidate in MoCo, how about a Dem. that is one of us? MD Shooters member, MSI member, NRA life member. Just a thought.

Yes, I am one of them and I know of plenty of others. So if you can't get a Republican candidate in MoCo, how about a Dem. that is one of us? MD Shooters member, MSI member, NRA life member. Just a thought.

Any dem politician who claims to be pro 2A is a liar. Eventually they all flip due to pressure they get from the rest of the anti 2A libs.

Frankly anyone who owns a gun and cherishes their 2A rights and still votes for dems should have their heads examined...They are not only voting to have their own rights denied, they are also voting to have everyone elses's rights remove..

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    MD republican candidates are already lining up to run for a potential vacancy of Harris's seat, just in case he gets a Trump administration appointment.

But they still cant run a candidate for every seat.

They are happy being the minority party, they can make bold promises, and never have to deliver, and still get access to the power and money.

I'd like to help, but the R party in MD is disfunctional.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    I agree completely with the OP, as we've talked about before.

If we don't build on the momentum and gains we've seen these past 2-4 years, I worry for the future.

Before the Natterers take the floor, there is plenty to work toward.

Using D32 as an example, there could very well be 3 of 4 seats open in 2018 (all but guaranteed if we keep the pressure on). But...

NONE of this matters a whit without solid candidates.

If the gains you're talking about in the House and Senate are realized then we are well ahead (by comparison). The Rs could ALMOST (IMO) even absorb a 1-term loss at Governor (though re-electing Hogan--at this point--is a priority).

I can also provide a District 32 example, but its an example of them financially sponsoring Red MD as they trashed Tim, James, Dan, MSI, and other 2A advocates. All while proclaiming "evidence" that Hogan was doing pro 2A things that he was not doing.

I'm not exactly itching to GOTV for them.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    What we witnessed this cycle...

1) Social media impact. YouTube, Facebook Live, Twitter. Volunteers outstripped paid promotions, no matter what. Meaning, engaged community members will impact reach far greater than biased algorithms.

2) More importantly, BRAND! Brand identity really mattered and the messaging to go along with it.

3) Message! Staying on it!

4) FLASH MOBS! RnR has taken that idea to Nap-town, and has mobilized it. Flash mobs w/ live social media broadcasts/archive are extremely effective. Mainly showing the "silent majority" they aren't alone, nor marginalized.

5) Boots on the ground ARE important on election day mainly for GOTV efforts. Targeting 5~8 districts that are purple, and relentlessly going after those districts only on $, personal freedom, and what impacts them the most. Must focus on 3~5 very important, non-partisan issues. This is what Hogan did when he was running.

6) Parsing data for "new votes" who were just engaged this cycle will be YUGE (simply because they didn't buy the dem hype). These voters could make a difference in those purple areas and might not show if we don't engage them. The opposition certainly "forgot" about them for at least 8, maybe 20 years.

7) Target businesses in these district that have been known to overtly support the enemy. Not necessarily to weight them down, but they can quickly become the focus point of the earlier mentioned flash mobs. No need to call them out on their donation patterns, but gives us a visible, geographical location from which to sign wave and take the fight to the front lines (it worked for the Alamo on last minute efforts to stop the gun grab, coming up short).

Just my $.02.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Just curious, do you think a metro area would go for a Log Cabin Republican? It could work.... possibly????

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    You don't need a "good" candidate to win. You need good messaging. Messaging takes money. Money comes from you. No seat is safe, unless no one challenges you.

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.

Any dem politician who claims to be pro 2A is a liar. Eventually they all flip due to pressure they get from the rest of the anti 2A libs.

Frankly anyone who owns a gun and cherishes their 2A rights and still votes for dems should have their heads examined...They are not only voting to have their own rights denied, they are also voting to have everyone elses's rights remove..

You are certainly entitled to your opinion although I'm not sure how you can look into the future and tell what a candidate is going to do. I don't agree with you and that's fine. But your ASSUMING what MIGHT happen based on PAST history. We had 2 Dem. lawmakers this past session sponsor 2A friendly bills. I am a registered Dem. But have not voted for a Dem. in as long as I can remember. We all have our own reasons for our party affiliation.

Mr H

Banana'd
    I can also provide a District 32 example, but its an example of them financially sponsoring Red MD as they trashed Tim, James, Dan, MSI, and other 2A advocates. All while proclaiming "evidence" that Hogan was doing pro 2A things that he was not doing.

I'm not exactly itching to GOTV for them.

At least a couple of them don't respond to me any more...

;)

BradyWarrior

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 13, 2014
    Maryland
    Amen.

Couldn't agree more with Dblas's message. It will be hard, but keeping Hogan in office and giving him enough votes in the Senate to block a veto override will change the game. It's certainly something we can accomplish - the key is to start now. If Trump can win in Wisconsin, we sure as hell should be able to flip five MD senate seats.

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    I think the biggest problem is finding someone strong enough to compete against an incumbent or Democrat.

Southern Maryland (St.Mary's) replaced 2 House seats and a Senator last time around. However I couldn't tell you who ran against Steny last month since I never heard of him and there wasn't much advertising.

How about Calvert, is there someone who can be prepped to run against Miller? It would seem to me that now is the time to start, not when you have to file the paperwork or whatever to run.

Same with Busch, find someone now to start running against him.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I think the biggest problem is finding someone strong enough to compete against an incumbent or Democrat.

Southern Maryland (St.Mary's) replaced 2 House seats and a Senator last time around. However I couldn't tell you who ran against Steny last month since I never heard of him and there wasn't much advertising.

How about Calvert, is there someone who can be prepped to run against Miller? It would seem to me that now is the time to start, not when you have to file the paperwork or whatever to run.

Same with Busch, find someone now to start running against him.

as long as that cockroach has that piece of pg and Charles and those constituent's vote for santa he will be hard to remove. he is unpopular in his part of calvert but anchored with chunk of pg and Charles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom