• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    AP just released it , no link to a web article

from what I gather (and doesn't sound illegal) FFL in Williamsport sold a banned weapon and a mag that holds over 10 rounds to a FFL in WV.

Tavor Sar in 5.56

Robert1955

Ultimate Member
    Dec 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    WTF?????? I thought that was the only way for you to sell a "Banned" weapon you own was thru a FFl to another FFL in a state where the weapon was legal?

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    One FFL can sell another ANY weapon not Federally banned, even MD banned ones, same with mags.

This story needs clarification.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Sounds like they sold the banned items to an MD resident. Although the mags would be legal, if the sale was in WV.

Not quite sure of the selling a banned firearm without the 7 day waiting period. Not sure how that would apply.

Unless the owners of the stores were MD residents, and did a FTF sale of the banned firearms.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    Sounds like they sold the banned items to an MD resident. Although the mags would be legal, if the sale was in WV.

Not quite sure of the selling a banned firearm without the 7 day waiting period. Not sure how that would apply.

Unless the owners of the stores were MD residents, and did a FTF sale of the banned firearms.

I am so confused as to how these guys broke a law. They both had FFLs, FFS.

If they are both LE retired in good standing, the mag transfer was perfectly legal. If they are both FFLs, ditto.

I don't get it. Perhaps there is some aspect of the case not yet revealed.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    There is a lot going on here. The 7 day wait charge seems like a add on. There are no procedures for selling banned firearms to people who do not have a FFL

The Tavor is a "copycat" (due to being <29" OAL) and not banned by name. There are ways to make them MD compliant.

The magazines could have been pinned to 10rds. The guy they did business does not seem the trustworthy sort.:lol2:.

It sucks that these guys will have to spend thousands of dollars defending themselves. Hopefully the courts van proove thier guilt or innocence, not the court of public opinion.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    If they are both LE retired in good standing, the mag transfer was perfectly legal. If they are both FFLs, ditto.

I don't get it. Perhaps there is some aspect of the case not yet revealed.

There is a third party here that they are accused of selling to.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    what long gun still has a 7 day waiting period? I cant make sense of this.

Any firearm that is described in PS 5-101(r)(2) is banned as an Assault Long Gun, but is also a Regulated Firearm. It is illegal to transfer it, AND separately illegal to transfer without a 77R.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Any firearm that is described in PS 5-101(r)(2) is banned as an Assault Long Gun, but is also a Regulated Firearm. It is illegal to transfer it, AND separately illegal to transfer without a 77R.

Ya' forgot about the exception of if the MD customer/purchaser had a purchase order dated before 10/01/13 for a now banned long gun.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Ya' forgot about the exception of if the MD customer/purchaser had a purchase order dated before 10/01/13 for a now banned long gun.

There are exceptions to everything (inheritance, LEA, etc.) I'm talking about the general rule that a regulated firearm needs to be transferred on a 77R, and that ALGs are all Regulated Firearms. A standard Tavor can be a banned Assault Weapon as it may be a Copycat under 29" in OAL. If it has a 16" or longer barrel, it's still not a Regulated Firearm.

gabe72

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2012
    sharpsburg
    Goes back further to selling a pistol and sending 77r paperwork when he wasnt a md regulated firearms dealer and supposedly that got a visit by msp and pistols taken away is the local word,however there could be some confusion over what ffl they held since it was around the time bafers left and started a new location, the articles are confusing to say the least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom