• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • euler357

Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Odenton, Marylandistan
    I like having a local homebrew store and these are good people. I donated to help them and challenge others to do the same.

Click here to donate to help Nepenthe rebuild

Attachments

• np_flood.jpg
      np_flood.jpg
      97 KB · Views: 1,025

POP57

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2016
    Delaware
    Not trying to be smart, but don't they have insurance? Seems as if they should have bought some federal flood insurance after the last flood, but then again I'm no expert. Just asking.

euler357

Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Odenton, Marylandistan
    From Nepenthe (the whole story is here)

We know that asking you all to come together and help us again is asking a lot, but we need the help now more than ever. This flood hits us at the end of our slow season, which puts considerable strain on our small business. The damage is worse this time around, and to make things worse, flood damage isn't covered under standard business insurance. We do carry a flood policy, but the coverage is very limited.

POP57

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2016
    Delaware
    From Nepenthe (the whole story is here)

We know that asking you all to come together and help us again is asking a lot, but we need the help now more than ever. This flood hits us at the end of our slow season, which puts considerable strain on our small business. The damage is worse this time around, and to make things worse, flood damage isn't covered under standard business insurance. We do carry a flood policy, but the coverage is very limited.

Ok...fair enough. I hope they get back on their feet. Perhaps they should ask for volunteers to go in and at least help clean the mess up first. That would save them some coin.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    It's good that lots of Federal Aid money is now available to help these folks out.

Hogan signed off on Emergency Funds.

Looks like Ellicott City has a Good and Substantial reason.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    I feel for them. BUT, having worked in and around the mills under 83 for several years this is a pretty regular occurrence. You rent space on the first floor of certain mills, you will eventually get flooded.

Of course that fact probably isn't offered up when the landlord is showing them the space to lease. I hope they had the foresight to purchase insurance for flooding.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    I was reading a response from someone in /r/baltimore who seems to have a good grasp of how things work. They might get 1/3 of their insurance coverage pretty quickly, but the rest will be tied up in government red tape for months in some cases. The landlord has a clause that makes it nearly impossible to break the lease, and justifies the ongoing risk of flooding as being offset by the somewhat lower price/square foot.

This is the second time in as many years that Nepenthe has had to clean up.

My co-worker's car was also flooded (she was eating at La Cuchara when it happened). It rose up over her dash. Insurance paid her Blue Book value but she owed more on it and is now out $4K.

Floods suck.

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    They are super nice folks. Their shop is not on my normal travels, but whenever I'm in the vicinity I try to buy something, if only just because. BTW, they also operate a Brew On Premises where customers can go to brew on their equipment. It's a way for people to get initiated in the process without making an investment in equipment before knowing it's something you want to do.

Made a donation. Also our club runs a homebrew competition at the Maryland Microbrewery Festival in Westminster, Sept. 24 at Union Mills Homestead. Nepenthe has always been a supporter and prize donor, but this year our club will buy some gift cards and donate them to the competition in Nepenthe's name.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom