• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • They’ve been losing left and right to companies both big and small. They don’t have the high end or the low end market, and they’ve finally realized that the prancing pony isn’t enough for this generation of shooters to buy less rifle for more money. Instead of getting better, they’ve given up.

Spot on. Supposedly they will be focusing on .gov contracts but I suspect they will no longer sell to civilians "for the children"

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Colt has done the virtue signaling thing under previous managements...maybe it's happening again. It's a slippery slope to self-destruction...Colt management has a habit of looking for the banana peel if not throwing it down intentionally before slipping on it.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    If what the Democrats want looks to become more serious...and if another mass shooting occurs (which would delight the Dems)...sales may take off again. In that case Colt may want to rethink this decision but by then the raw materials may be in short supply as all the other AR makers will have already have a lock on them.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Maybe it's about boosting short term sales and then saying we changed our minds. I'm sure more will follow.
    This is my suspicion, too. The almost-deadly mistake that Colt made before was abandoning the civilian market; it would take some seriously dumb leadership to repeat it. They can pull the 30rd mags if they want to look virtuous, but there's no way they stay afloat just selling Cobras, Mustangs, and 1911s.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Damn. :sad20:I really like and am proud of the Colts that I have...there's even a thread about them right now almost ready to go from my mind to MDS. They still seem like excellent products...I wish the company could get its crap together.:banghead:

Maybe the same thing was said about Sharps way back when? :shrug:

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    Quote:
    They’ve been losing left and right to companies both big and small. They don’t have the high end or the low end market, and they’ve finally realized that the prancing pony isn’t enough for this generation of shooters to buy less rifle for more money. Instead of getting better, they’ve given up.

Been saying this for years

regulator

Ready for the flames... I carried a Colt in the '80's as a a Marine, carried a Colt in the 2000's as a LEO. I'm sorry, but I'm not impressed. I never liked the loose fit and almost matched upper and lower color.

I get it, people have their favorites. I'm partial to Ruger as opposed to Smith and Wesson.

I feel in more modern times there are better options.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Other than TTAG getting the scoop from the email that Colt sent out, not seeing anything in the national press about this as yet.

Does anyone have the text of what Colt sent to their distributors? Didn't see it on TTAG (which just had a screenshot of an email from RSR Group, a firearms distributor).

Got a feeling the Colt is still polishing a press release.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Other than TTAG getting the scoop from the email that Colt sent out, not seeing anything in the national press about this as yet.

Does anyone have the text of what Colt sent to their distributors? Didn't see it on TTAG (which just had a screenshot of an email from RSR Group, a firearms distributor).

Got a feeling the Colt is still polishing a press release.
    This is a post in the TTAG comments section ...

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/c...ng-guns-to-the-retail-market/#comment-4332375

Fake News Alert!
    My contact at Colt (very high on the Colt food chain) confirmed they ARE NOT suspending them, but prioritizing international, Gov, and LE orders above commercial due to immediate demand.

They’re still shipping, but just a bit slower than usual.

Someone else in the thread says that they heard the same. Maybe this is why there's no press release or reporting on the topic from other outlets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom