• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I'm going to bet that they are all inert.

That's what I was thinking, as they were casually laid out on the patio.

And the ammo, wow, enough to start a war. Anyone who has that much must be guilty of something. Never mind people stocking up as the left cries for ammo limits and background checks.

Of all the rifles I saw, they appeared to be milsurp bolt guns. I didn't see fully semi automatic assault rifles. Then they got the neighbors on camera throwing him under the bus. This is what will happen to us if people that don't agree with us, or accept our views on the 2A and liberty. What was he guilty of, before they searched his home? Did they have a warrant? This is what we should expect, and plan for.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Hammers(like on this dufus' shirt) are used to kill more people in america than those rifles they're hauling out of this person's house. Screen Shot 2019-09-06 at 23.13.46.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-09-06 at 23.08.37.jpg

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007

From the article above:

The police have known for a while that the husband owned firearms, which he is legally allowed to own, but when given permission from the wife to search the home today, they have realized there are many other explosive, illegal devices on the property.

The Montgomery County Bomb Squad was called immediately, they are also on the scene, and they have requested the military to come in to clear and secure the residence. As it stands now, all police and bomb squad are awaiting the military’s arrival.

We are told that neither the wife nor the husband of this elderly couple is in the home now, and that the husband is suffering from dementia. The wife was taken to the hospital on a medical emergency, which is when the firearms and explosive devices were seen by the police. As we mentioned, it was the wife who gave the police permission to search the residence.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    There’s a lesson here for anyone with elderly parents who may find themselves in a similar situation

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    No idea if this guy is demented or psychotic, no idea why the family was concerned, no idea if the exotic weapons are inert or not.

If they were not inert, they would not have been openly sitting on the back patio. They would have been destroyed by the bomb squad before anyone was allowed in the home or near them. The neighborhood would have been evacuated for safety, and they would have reported that.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Don’t understand what difference it makes if someone has 2 guns or 200 guns, they still only have 2 hands.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    "What the owner's intent was is not clear. Boxes and boxes of ammunition ... cases and cases of ammo ... rifle after rifle." "He always seemed a bit 'off'."

His intent? He likes guns. Boxes and cases of ammo? He likes to shoot, apparently rifles more than handguns. Swords and inert bombs? He likes cool stuff.

These are not reasons to be checked out in a psych ward. They are reasons to get out to the range as often as possible!

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    If this were in Maryland, would the involuntary commitment be an issue? Can you just be involuntarily committed without due process.

Well, I would think Frosh, based on his previous statements, would opinion that just HAVING guns is a sign of dangerous mental illness, warranting an involuntary commitment, this disqualifying one from owning guns. The perfect paradigm.

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    From one of the comments after the article. Not sure if it is true, but it sounds plausible.

Now for the rest of the story, and summarizing it. A couple, one of whom was a Vietnam veteran and collector of military memorabilia, were moving. Family members offered to help. When they arrived, they saw the couple had military memorabilia and got scared. They called police. Police came and arrested the man and sent him for involuntary psychiatric screening. This would have been done with a mental health warrant that the police would have sought based on the family being afraid of them having guns. No threat was needed to get the warrant - just a family member who was afraid of them and knew they had them.

The man was taken involuntarily to a psychiatric hospital for evaluation. Police removed all the memorabilia, then determined they were all safe and there was no danger. It is not clear if the man has been released from the hospital or not. Police are (hopefully) still in possession of all his possessions. No word on what actions he will have to take to get them back assuming none go missing.

Pennsylvania does NOT have red flag laws. Therefore, police seized the mans property and committed him to a psychiatric hospital without cause. A red flag law would actually make that totally legal. ANY family member that has ANY relative that owns guns, if that family member doesn't like guns, can have them confiscated. Many states that have red flag laws currently allow the court orders to be requested by family members - it doesn't have to be law enforcement. So a family member approaches the court, says they have been saying stuff that they believe makes them a risk to themselves or others, and they throw in a few "quotes". Many states, the evidenciary requirements are low so the order is issued. It's sent to police who execute it. A man is at home watching TV and police come knocking and tell him they are there to execute a warrant to take his guns. He can't do anything to stop them.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    From the article above:

The police have known for a while that the husband owned firearms, which he is legally allowed to own, but when given permission from the wife to search the home today, they have realized there are many other explosive, illegal devices on the property.

The Montgomery County Bomb Squad was called immediately, they are also on the scene, and they have requested the military to come in to clear and secure the residence. As it stands now, all police and bomb squad are awaiting the military’s arrival.

We are told that neither the wife nor the husband of this elderly couple is in the home now, and that the husband is suffering from dementia. The wife was taken to the hospital on a medical emergency, which is when the firearms and explosive devices were seen by the police. As we mentioned, it was the wife who gave the police permission to search the residence.

This possibility was mentioned previously. Is everyone here comfortable having a next door neighbor with dementia, a couple dozen guns and a shit ton of ammo? BTW, ammo hardly classifies as "memorabilia". Is there the possibility that a truely loving and concerned family was involved?

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    This sort of stuff is nothing new. I have noted identical incidents in the news over a period of many years.

One incident I recall happened in Howard County in the 1980s, in the Sebring neighborhood adjoining the Merriweather Post Pavilion. An angry ex-wife filed complaints against her husband, leading to a police raid.

When Howard County Police raided the home in Sebring, they established a one block perimeter around the house and evacuated the residents of every home within that zone. They not only seized all the man's guns, including his AK 47 (not so common in the '80s), but a BOMB! and a small quantity of marijuana.

The incident created a lot of excitement as you can imagine. I recall neighbor's statement in the Howard County Times to the effect that the arrested man was a widely disliked *******. He had gained some notoriety during a neighborhood garage sale by displaying his AK 47 among his items for sale, apparently just to show it off and troll his neighbors.

In the end, I believe he was charged only with possession of the marijuana, although I don't know if he ever got his guns back. But what about the BOMB! you ask? Well it was later revealed that the BOMB! was actually a cuckoo clock weight - a solid lump of iron or lead probably shaped like a pine cone.

I can't cite a source. I vividly recall reading about it in the paper, probably shortly after I moved back here in 1986. Actually, I think I have the newspaper clipping somewhere, but don't expect me to find it.

The incident made a very strong impression on me, and since then I have noticed that they really aren't all that rare.

Traditional+Weight+Driven+Cuckoo+Wall+Clock.jpg

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Even if he did suffer from "dementia," which is uncertain if not doubtful, is that any excuse for such a hysterical reaction, violating multiple civil rights without due process?

Remember the Obama administration laying the groundwork for similar treatment of people who benefited from financial assistants? Should people be ERPO'd because they have an assistant balance their checking account?

What is "elderly"? What is "dementia"? Is "dementia" something you can show on an X-ray or a CT scan? Can you measure it? Is it time to ERPO Joe Biden and seize his shotgun?

Is opposing gay marriage a sign of disqualifying dementia? How about questioning sexual reassignment surgery for pre-pubescent children, should people who fail to celebrate that be allowed to posses dangerous things like guns, knives, or automobiles?

If it is reasonable to send an entire team of armed agents, (complete with sensationalizing media coverage) to search an older man's house and confiscate his property, then is it also reasonable to do the same for motor vehicles owned by people over, say, age 65?

Grampaw is more likely to have an accident with his '94 Lincoln than with his '03-A3. Why not send an entire armed entry team to search his garage and confiscate all of his vehicles? His Lincoln, his F-150, his lawn tractor, his roller blades, even his $5000 carbon fiber bicycle (sorry Fabs)? And if they should find a can of gasoline in his shed.... BOMB!

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    --Elderly vet having psych eval
    --suspected bombs and mortars
    --"a little off", "claimed my backyard as his property", "always mean to my kids"
    --family was concerned, maybe for a reason

No idea if this guy is demented or psychotic, no idea why the family was concerned, no idea if the exotic weapons are inert or not. I refuse to make any stupid, automatic comments about RFLs until more facts are available. There ARE some people that shouldn't have lethal weapons just as there are some who shouldn't have the right to procreate or the privilege to drive

Com on Doc, this is MDS....some people here know everything just by making their own facts....:cool:

(I'm not talking of you either...)

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    This looks like Montgomery County Pennsylvania, not Maryland.
    Do they have a Red Flag law?

Who cares how many guns the guy has, its no one's business.

I agree completely. Don't care how many guns or how much ammo he has. Guessing something was illegal or he did something stupid for police to be over there doing that. The reporting was horrible. The entire "enough to start a war" was just sensationalism and obvious the imbecile reporter has no idea what being in a war is really like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom