• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    https://www.facebook.com/howardcountypolicedepartment/posts/1234425109928179

Police in the region, including Howard County, are experiencing an increase in burglaries that are similar in nature to a series in Maryland between 2012 and 2014, where homes owned by Asian residents, particularly Korean and Indian, were targeted.

Detectives are currently investigating nine burglaries that could be related to the series and are working to determine if one or more groups are committing the crimes.

Police are reminding residents of the importance of not keeping large amounts of cash or valuables like jewelry inside the home. Burglars in these cases are forcing entry, even if doors and windows are locked.

IDK, if they are targeting a certain area, like around Rt 40/Elliott City, this could merely be coincidence.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    I just got wind of this by way of my neighborhood forum.
    There is a lot of speculation as to why Asians are being targeted by crooks.
    I'm wondering myself.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Why do any of these thugs do what they do? If they spent the same amount of time casing a neighborhood as hitting the books, they would not be stealing.

Could be anyone of a number of things. Maybe it's all a coincidence. Maybe there is a neighborhood rumor Asians have good stuff to steal (like guns). Could be a gang initiation ritual. In the Baltimore riots last year Korean stores were hit (some 400, esp liquor stores) because racism, basically. Maybe they are just stupid.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Why do any of these thugs do what they do? If they spent the same amount of time casing a neighborhood as hitting the books, they would not be stealing.

Could be anyone of a number of things. Maybe it's all a coincidence. Maybe there is a neighborhood rumor Asians have good stuff to steal (like guns). Could be a gang initiation ritual. In the Baltimore riots last year Korean stores were hit (some 400, esp liquor stores) because racism, basically. Maybe they are just stupid.
    With Koreans and Indians, I'm doubting gang initiation. As you've brought up, I'm wondering how many data points they're basing this warning on. As you said, some neighborhoods could be over represented with different ethnic populations. I live in one with lots of people with Chinese, Korean, Indian, etc backgrounds, in part because they're drawn to the local public schools.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Mr H

Banana'd
    Wife just showed me this a couple hours ago, unrelated to this story...

Attachments

• db170125.gif
      db170125.gif
      93.4 KB · Views: 1,463

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    That was funny H. It could be that Asians and Indians don't use traditional banking institutions as much, and keep assets at home for quick retrieval.

Q

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Wife just showed me this a couple hours ago, unrelated to this story...

If Garry Trudeau (Doonesbury) wasn't such a died-in-the-wool leftie, I'd chuckle at that. What's it with these French Canadians ?

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    That was funny H. It could be that Asians and Indians don't use traditional banking institutions as much, and keep assets at home for quick retrieval.

Q

This is the correct answer. I worked with an older Korean woman in the late 90s. She lived alone in the Bethesda area.

She came to work one day shaken and scared as hell. Said an intruder had entered thru an unlocked slider the previous night and crept to her second floor bedroom.

She was too scared to get a call off to 911 so she screamed her head off. Perp unassed and did not harm her.

I proceeded to convince her to buy a handgun, get self defense training and to get mentally prepared to defend herself in the future. She's terribly afraid of that pistol but in a similar situation, I do think she'd use it.

Chung is a good woman and I have not spoken with her in a few years. We were working out of the Burtonsville Re/Max office at the time.

Lew--Ranger63

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I once got robbed by Asians. I know it was Asians because the cat and dog were missing and my kids' homework was done.

Seriously I hope they catch the perp(s). I can't stand a thief.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Received letter today about car break ins in Crofton (AACO), they say remove valuables and lock your cars. Another store on 3 was robbed last night, they told the local stores to lock their doors and only let in people they know. CVS 24 hr pharmacy robbed 2 weeks ago while open, thief got away on foot.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    High median income and low likelihood of being armed. Just my take. Don't wanna try this Indian's house.
    I think you're right for the Indian community (and as you, I use this term generally, as an ethnic category, as I know a lot who prefer to simply be called Americans) ... but I know many of Korean backgrounds that are not gun averse. Most of those that grew up in South Korea, of the men, put in compulsory military time (something like 2-3 years). They might not have gun rights there, but many embrace these rights when moving here.

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    I think you're right for the Indian community (and as you, I use this term generally, as an ethnic category, as I know a lot who prefer to simply be called Americans) ... but I know many of Korean backgrounds that are not gun averse. Most of those that grew up in South Korea, of the men, put in compulsory military time (something like 2-3 years). They might not have gun rights there, but many embrace these rights when moving here.

I don't know much about Korean American culture. You're probably right. As far as Indians go though, I don't know a single that embraces 2A or engages in self defense training except for those in my immediate family. They're largely just sitting ducks.

And I agree 100% with your comment about preferred identity. My genes may come from across the globe, but I am an American. If more people thought like this I think the US would be a better place.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I once got robbed by Asians. I know it was Asians because the cat and dog were missing and my kids' homework was done.

Seriously I hope they catch the perp(s). I can't stand a thief.

Hopefully they'll come back and give you violin lessons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom