• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • psoyring

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2010
    Brunswick MD
    Last week I put about 150 rounds of 1952 Hungarian yellow tip ammo that I pulled off a machine gun belt through my M39. The accuracy was excellent, and there was not a single misfire. If this is how unsealed 60 year old ammunition works then that sealed stuff in the spam cans is going to work well for a long, long time.

WatTyler

Ultimate Member
    From what I read, it was the potassium chlorate oxidizer in the primers that made the ammo a) corrosive and b) immortal. So burn up the non-corrosive stuff, and keep some of the corrosive around for your old age. Or for your grand-children.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    It works for me. The oldest I've shot was from around 1960. Worked as well as ammo made this year.

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    That is what makes corrosive ammo great in that the components already mentioned above help to keep the ammo fine for decades in long term storage without the fear of getting a dud or a primer losing its shelf life.

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    I bought a couple bandoliers of surplus .303 British a couple years ago. Some of the rounds had 1917 stamped on them and they shot great. I saved about 20 of them. Don't know if I'll ever shoot them.

KMK1862

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2010
    York County, PA
    Someone may give me grief for shooting "collectable ammo", but I sent 29 rounds of 1936 German s. S. 7.92 down range this weekend in my "G" date Mauser. I had wanted to send 30 rounds, but 1 was a dud.

Not bad for 76 year old ammo.

EDIT: I saved the brass and the boxes. I may put some up for sale in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom