• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Viper385

Jan 17, 2018
    Hello All - this is my first post here and I am hoping to just get some confirmation on what I already think is the case. So I recently did an AR build using an 80% lower. My initial thought was I was going to be building an AR pistol given the 10.5" barrel I was using. This build includes a Dolos quick disconnect barrel system as well as a folding "stock"/buffer tube. Given the additional length added by both of these items the build comes in at just over 26.5" in length. Given the fact the overall length is over 26" my question is since the lower has no markings classifying it as either a rifle or a pistol what have I built? Does it have to be a pistol because that was my initial intention or is it a rifle? I ask this mainly because I want to know what options I can add to it - such as a vertical foregrip.

Thanks all!

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Might want to look up NFA rules for short barreled rifles, and delete your post. depends what kind of stock of course. There are buffer tubes. There are braces. And then there are actual stocks.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    It is a pistol. Rifles have barrels 16" or greater and a stock.

As long as your OAL is =>26" you can use a vfg. If <26" you can still use an angled fore grip.

Welcome aboard

Viper385

Jan 17, 2018
    It currently has a Sig Brace on it. I was referring to the folding part. It does not get sold as a folding pistol brace. I thought NFA rules were it has to have a barrel over 16" or a OAL of 26" or longer to be classified as a rifle. Can a firearm with an OAL over 26" still be classified as a pistol?

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    I would also assume that the folder doesn't come into play as the pistol won't function correctly without it? Or maybe it does since it might fire a round that was put in the chamber before folding it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom